Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Country Style Rib Meat
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Country Style Rib Meat
A request from a friend about how to cook good Boston Butt sandwich meat without spending 14 hours doing it started me thinking. Country style ribs are nothing more that a butt cut into strips. Another friend I have cooks his fairground pork this way to speed up the cooking time, add more rub to more surface and add more bark flavor. I fixed up some this way today and here's how it came out:

Picture 1) Meat is rubbed on all surfaces with Simply Marvelous Pecan rub. Lid is put on meat and set in refer overnight.
Picture #2
Ribs go in cooker at 6:00AM.
Picture #3
Temperature is set for 224 Degrees
Picture #4
Checked ribs at 11:00AM. Hit 178.
Picture #5
Mixture of Sweet Baby Rays and Vinegar put together to add sweet flavor but a little Carolina bite.
Picture #6
Meat is placed in foil trays (Sam's Club and covered) Back in cooker with temp probe in thick part of meat
Picture #7
Meat done at 1:30, ( six and a half hours) chunked and ready to serve

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2012 07:56 PM by Larry Jacobs.)
04-07-2012 07:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fidel_astorga Offline
Managing Member

RE: Country Style Rib Meat
LOOKS GREAT!!!!

CHICKEN BUTT BBQ UTAH
Lucy Lang 60" DLX Long Neck 40" Char Grill
KCBS Certified Judge
KCBS Certified Table Captain
UTAH BBQ Org Certified Judge
fidel@utahbbq.org
"Powered by Maxwell" Angel
04-07-2012 10:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pigout Offline

Looks fantastic!!! Sounds simple, thanks for sharing.

"BBQ so good it's time to Pigout"
04-07-2012 11:21 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Good job L.j.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
04-07-2012 11:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Yonni Offline

What is the sweet baby rays to vinegar ratio?
04-08-2012 12:15 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

(04-08-2012 12:15 AM)Yonni Wrote:  What is the sweet baby rays to vinegar ratio?

About 4 parts sauce to 1 part vinegar. If you like this taste check out Guy Fieri Carolina sauce. It is a bit to vinegary for most people in Utah but I really like it mixed up with sweeter sauce.

http://barbequemaster.blogspot.com/2011/...arket.html

Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
04-08-2012 11:06 AM
Yonni Offline

my family loves sweet baby rays, I love vinegar based sauces, I have my
own recipe for one that I may share at a future date, so combining the two would be excellent, thanks for sharing and the link.

I got a really cool smoking book for my birthday a few weeks ago, hoping to put it to some good use soon :-)

Also I just became a paid member a couple weeks ago, when do I get the benefits of that?
04-08-2012 01:01 PM
BarkingPig Offline
Rub on it!

Am I understanding this right, you just took a butt and sliced it into huge chunks? I'm thinking of doing this this weekend now. Nice mix with your sauce, I'm going to throw in some serious mustard and peach jam though. Excellent pictures, the meat looks fantastic. Great job!

Dis bbq so good, it'll make ya slap yo mama in the mouth!
04-08-2012 10:13 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

(04-08-2012 10:13 PM)BarkingPig Wrote:  Am I understanding this right, you just took a butt and sliced it into huge chunks? I'm thinking of doing this this weekend now. Nice mix with your sauce, I'm going to throw in some serious mustard and peach jam though. Excellent pictures, the meat looks fantastic. Great job!

Right, Country Style Ribs sold at Sam's and other stores are nothing more than Boston Butt cut into stips. They have as much to do with ribs as a McRib Sandwhich.

Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
04-09-2012 10:44 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Right on L.J. I have done some special catering in the past when requested cutting my own just like that. Thanks for sharing that with the guys. I would also like to share another way to prepare them when I don't smoke them or grill them. I would take a 9X baking pan, salt and pepper each side of the meat. Put a light coat of oil on the inside of the pan. Put your country style ribs in the pan, and dump one bottle of your favorite sauce over the top of the ribs. Set your oven for 350 and check for tenderness close to an hour. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
04-09-2012 11:23 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Thanks T. I was with Doug Miller on a hunting story years ago and he asked that I do an easy to make Dutch oven dinner for hunters. That is just what I did, put the meat in a 12" oven, poured a bottle of BBQ sauce over it, sat it in the fire coal bed and shoveled some on top. We went hunting, came back 6 hours later and dived into some of the most moist, tender pork this side of Windy Ridge. Boy, I tell ya, when your neighbors camp is eating baloney sandwiches and you bring that kind of food out, it's a party. You know how Doug was, everyones his brother so it wasn't long before guys in orange were begging to lick the pot. Have to remember to do a 14" deep next time.

Good food, Good friends, make Good camping (no matter the weather)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
04-09-2012 01:12 PM
Pigout Offline

That's a great story, yeah Doug was one of a kind...did you guys meet at the outdoors show?

"BBQ so good it's time to Pigout"
04-09-2012 08:40 PM