Life Member

KSL Traeger w/Digital Control $110

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
04-29-2012 06:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

RE: KSL Traeger w/Digital Control $110
gone.

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
04-30-2012 02:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
StephenWilson Offline

Been there Bought that! This is my second Trager. It is a Model 70. Some rust but not bad. Couldn't resist the price.

Steve W.
04-30-2012 03:18 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Good Find!

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
04-30-2012 04:46 PM
Pigout Offline

Steve you beat me by a minute...I was on the phone with the owner and you we're on the porch...UndecidedI was going to tell her considered sold, oh well... good luck with her!

"BBQ so good it's time to Pigout"
04-30-2012 07:47 PM
StephenWilson Offline

Yea, if a pit or smoker shows up on this forum, it usually goes pretty fast. I dropped everything, and went for it. Like they say "When it comes to a rain dance, Timing is everything". Like I said it is a little rusty, I'll let you know how she works out.

Steve W.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 09:28 AM by StephenWilson.)
05-01-2012 09:27 AM
Pigout Offline

Well at least I can rest knowing that it went to a good home with lots of Heart for BBQ. Let us know how she cooks, it looked like a diamond in the rough! Good score my friend.

05-01-2012 07:30 PM
StephenWilson Offline

OK! So here is the saga of the Treager Model 70. I got the smoker home and on to my patio. It didn’t look to bad, nothing a little paint wouldn’t fix. I did notice that the controller was fairly new and was a Treager unit. The sheet metal screws holding it in place were new. Upon opening the lid I saw that about half the paint was bubbled and flaking off. This was a sure sign that it had been to hot. I scraped and wire brushed the paint off, took the grate and baffles out and vacuumed the insides with my shop vac. There were a lot of pellets in the fire box. The grate looked great. The drip tray was warped a bit, so I put it on the ground and stepped on it to get it a bit straighter. I plugged her in and turned it on to the smoke position. The fan, auger, and igniter worked and I put the baffles and grate back together. I turned the control to 250 degrees. The smoker heated up quickly, and here is where things went wrong. The fan cut out when the temperature indicated 250, but the temperature kept on rising and got to about 390 degrees, also there was LOTS of smoke. The smoke didn’t smell right either. I shut it off and took the controller out of the unit, but left the wiring plugged in. You could see where someone had hogged out the sheet metal to get the controller to fit. As I was examining the controller and it’s PC board the plastic fuse holder came off of the PC board. Upon closer exam there was not enough solder to hold it in place. So I soldered a piece of wire about 1.5 inches long to the PC board and then to the fuse holder, easy fix. I then turned the smoker on again and set it to 250 degrees (my favorite temp) it again exceeded the temp and the fan started to cycle. I timed it and the fan was going off for 2 minutes and on for 15 seconds. I found the smoke setting button the controller and it can be set from P-0 thru P-9 I tried various settings and it varied the fan cycle from about 1 minute to about 3 minutes, but always the fan would only run for 15 seconds at the end of the cycle. I then looked inside and noticed that the auger was running continuously without cycling. This is why the smoker was getting hot and smokey and was why there is so much ash and pellets in the fire box. So I swapped the plugs for the auger and the fan so that the auger would cycle on and off and the fan would run continuously. I tested the smoker and it worked properly, holding the right temperature and not quite as smokey. All I have to do now is get some BBQ paint, and give the insides and flue a good cleaning, and I’m in business.
05-02-2012 10:11 AM
Yonni Offline

NICE!
05-02-2012 07:17 PM
Pigout Offline

Well sounds like you figured it out, yeah I figured that it would need some TLC, looks like someone had just stopped caring and didn't bother putting a cover on her. Having to work on it has given you time to really see her inside and out. Time to put her threw a cook and see how what kind of grub Tongue it can kick out. Good luck!

05-02-2012 11:38 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Ya pretty tough to pass up $110 for one of those. Got one myself. The wiring harness is color coded so install shouldn't be rocket science. Sounds like you got it pegged. When I first read the to hot part, the swap of the fan and auger plugs was my repair fix.
Someone had enlarged the hole where the controller mounts? Just takes a slight tip to insert or remove it from the mounting spot.
Sucks to be the previous owner now you that have it working right.
Good job.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
05-04-2012 12:39 PM
StephenWilson Offline

OK, So I thought that I would follow up with a cook on the Traeger Model 70. I smoked some ribs, then I smoked a couple of Pork Butts from Costco. The ribs were good. The pork butts were a little different in that I put them into the smoker frozen. This meant no brining and no marinade. Speaking of brining I am on a salt free diet, so I cook most of my stuff without salt, or with as little as possible. When I cook for the gang, or groups I use salt, but make some extra that is salt free. Anyway the Butts took about 12 hours at 225 and I wrapped them after 4 hours with foil with some orange juice. They were stopped at 195 and let stand for an hour. They turned out fine.

So for the first time I took pictures of some ribs that I cooked. The picture is as I put them on the grill, the one in the back is salt free and the two in the front are with salt. I used Costco Salt free spice blend, Garlic Powder, Paprika, Cayenne, brown sugar, and some yellow mustard. The mustard has a little salt in it (3%) so these ribs are “low salt”. The other two had season salt added to the list of spices. I put the Traeger on smoke for an hour, and then set it to 225. two hours later is what I show in the picture. I then wrapped them in foil with Coca Cola, and Raspberry Chipotle on the salt free one, and Coca Cola and Sweet Baby Rays on the other two. I let them go another hour and then took them off and put them in one of my patented insulated boxes. An hour later we served them with more sauce and cold fruit for mother’s day. They were nummy. This Traeger Model 70 is definitely a keeper.

05-14-2012 10:52 AM
HDBBQ Offline
Keep your Pig Smiling

Looks good,Great find you got there Smile

James Parr
H&D BBQ TEAM
Sponsors:
Snider Bros Meats
BBQ Pit Stop
ALLREDY Canopies
Jensen Pit Custom BBQ Smokers

http://www.hdbbq.net
05-14-2012 10:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pigout Offline

Nice I glad to see that she is kicking out some good meat...thanks for sharing the pics...Smile

05-14-2012 04:46 PM
imfree2q Offline

Nice find!

Mel Jensen
JensenPit custom BBQ smokers
801-589-7423
Plain City, Utah
jensenpits@gmail.com
Facebook.com/JensenPit