Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Knives
Pigout Offline

Knives
I need some suggestions on a good set of knives...is there one you guys favor more then another?Confused

"BBQ so good it's time to Pigout"
05-15-2012 05:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Smokin Flyers Offline

RE: Knives
I got my knifes set off e bay. But i did a lot of looking around at difference places . It all comes down to how much you want to spend on a set you can check out place like restaurant supply you can get a good knife at a fare price their. hope this helps you
05-15-2012 09:42 PM
Pigout Offline

Yeah I was looking for a good mid $ range knife set, you know...one that's not going to break the bank but get the job done.

05-16-2012 06:07 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

This is like asking who makes the best car. My personal favorites are the Henckels knives. They make the line with just the one little guy on them. Those are avalible at Sam's but the good ones have the twins on them. Those are my knives.

http://www.metrokitchen.com/category/hen...block-sets

I don't take those on the road. I use the white handled NSF knives from Sam's Club. You can get them really sharp, they clean up good and they are cheap enough you can have many of the same kind so you don't have to do dishes between category preparation.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2012 07:05 AM by Larry Jacobs.)
05-16-2012 07:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
elkski Offline

I didn't want to post here because it is a personal thing. I have hunted and been sharpening knives since I was 10. I was fortunate enough to have some buck, and schrade steel as a kid so I learned what good steel acts like.
When we got married 25 yrs ago I put Tridents on my wish list.. back then the brides dominated the gift selection but I did get f a set and it will last my lifetime. I have the pro grade. Wustof solingen Germany INOX.
I made the mistake of taking some to a whole hog carving and a switch happened and I ended up with a similar looking 1 man henckel knife. I have had it for 2 years and it is not nearly as good as mine at staying sharp.
I use a lansky diamond sharpener. I is a 5 hour job to hand sharpen them once or twice a year. There are many grades in each knife maker so it is hard to price compare.. Mine might have the best steel INOX but the handle shapes are old like the classic but the forged metal goes the length of the knife from tip to handle.. They now have ergonomic handle shapes and more rivets.
I would say you can skip the cleaver. I remember my dad complaining about how much it was 25 yrs ago. ANd I dont use it often.. A cheaper clever would be fine.

Team "Smoke-n-mirrors" its all in the beers.
Life is like the smell of smoking pork. stay in the downdraft and follow the sweet smell., enjoy each bite.
KCBS #9231
05-16-2012 09:06 AM
Pigout Offline

(05-16-2012 07:04 AM)Larry Jacobs Wrote:  This is like asking who makes the best car. My personal favorites are the Henckels knives. They make the line with just the one little guy on them. Those are avalible at Sam's but the good ones have the twins on them. Those are my knives.

http://www.metrokitchen.com/category/hen...block-sets

I don't take those on the road. I use the white handled NSF knives from Sam's Club. You can get them really sharp, they clean up good and they are cheap enough you can have many of the same kind so you don't have to do dishes between category preparation.

Yeah I know its a personal thing and yeah its like buyin a car I get that, before I go drop some money on a set of knives I know nothing about I just thought I would ask...you guys are great and its cut down on my learning curve quite a bit. Thanks for your thoughts...Larry I know you didnt use the backside of a dull butter knive to slice your briskets...

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2012 11:00 AM by Pigout.)
05-16-2012 10:59 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

.....back side of a butter knife? Sorry, not up to speed on that one.

I will tell you that I use a regular table knife to skin ribs. Makes a nice flat insert and lift to where you can get ahold.
Here is what took me a long time to get straight. Good knives are ground to have "feathers". Looking at the edge instead of being purely straight like a razor blade, there are actual peaks that look just like feathers. After use they tend to bend to the side. By stroking your knife with a steel you are standing them back up to recover that sharp edge. That's what a barber is doing with the leather strap.
Too many people think they have to run their knives over a grinding surface each time. All they are doing is loosing steel trying to create new feathers instead of retaining that good hollow ground angle. After a while the feathers do break off or wear down and it will need to be re ground but even then few people have the right equipment or know how to do it right. If you watch a good butcher he will using the steel rod often. His not sharpening his knife like we use a stone but rather bringing those feathers back in line.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
05-16-2012 11:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
elkski Offline

I figure it this way if the wife can have fancy china that rarely gets used Knifes deserve some serious money. The will last more than a lifetime and the whole family uses everyday and they retain if not appreciate value. Using someone crappy knives annoys me. Good knives are like good binoculars. Bad ones are frustrating and good ones make you want to use them more!

Team "Smoke-n-mirrors" its all in the beers.
Life is like the smell of smoking pork. stay in the downdraft and follow the sweet smell., enjoy each bite.
KCBS #9231
05-16-2012 11:27 AM