Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Your Worst Critic
Yonni Offline

Bug Your Worst Critic
So I had a graduation party yesterday ( YAY me), and smoked a turkey, pork shoulder, and 3 racks of st Louis ribs from Costco. Got up at 6am and had everything but the ribs on by 7am. The turkey and pork turned out great, near perfect actually, then the ribs... well I thought they were bitter, too much smokey from the wood I got friday, but I still served it with a warning that it may be bitter and kindof gross. Well everyone that tried them just loved them, I was shocked. Honestly they where not that good, so either people don't know what ribs should taste like or I am my own worst critic. Well next time I better make them so I will like them too Wink
05-20-2012 09:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HDBBQ Offline
Keep your Pig Smiling

RE: Your Worst Critic
Well it even happens like that at comps they say your worst cook may be the Judges favorite dish. Glad to hear your guest liked them Cool

James Parr
H&D BBQ TEAM
Sponsors:
Snider Bros Meats
BBQ Pit Stop
ALLREDY Canopies
Jensen Pit Custom BBQ Smokers

http://www.hdbbq.net
05-20-2012 03:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

I basically grew up on the Yakima Indian reservation in Western Washington. A lot of my friends were Yakima, Clinkit and Quelicene indians but several social rules they had in common were taught to me by their elders that apply in my life today:

1) When feeding food you prepared, never prompt a complement by asking if they liked it. It's very impolite to criticize food even if it is not good. Any complement received after your request will be disingenuous and improper for you to put your guest in an uncomfortable situation.

2) Your guest will eat what they desire. Insisting they have a second helping will only insult them. If they take a second helping, that is your complement.

I'm not sure if any of this applies to this post, but sometimes these things leak out of my brain and mess up my Mac Book keyboard so I have to get rid of them.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
05-20-2012 06:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Yonni Offline

Well many had 2nd plates of food without my prompting, one even commented today that he had meat coma last night, lol. I understand your advice and thanks, until I finally master the art of smoking meat I will encourage feedback when possible so that I can improve, and I have some friends who have no fear of saying their opinion.
05-20-2012 09:23 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I was in no way giving you advise, but simply relating something from another culture that I have used over the last 50 years to keep from getting arrows in my tires.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
05-20-2012 09:56 PM
Phred Offline

Yonni, sounds like your party was a success. Remember the joy is in the process too, anytime you bbq it is a great time. Larry, you're one amazing guy, thanks for sharing your words of wisdom.

Phred
05-20-2012 10:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Whats the worst weather you have competed in PackerBacker 8 1,340 12-02-2006 08:36 PM
Last Post: no1plumber