Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Claim Jumper
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Claim Jumper
So as we are packing up to leave camp, the camp ground host saw my Traeger on the back of my trailer. The topic turned to BBQ and she said her favorite BBQ spot was a place in Heber called Claim Jumper Steak House. Being dinner time we decided to stop since they are only open from 5PM to 10PM. For $20 I got a small piece of what I think could have been brisket, oven cooked, with BBQ sauce on it. A small 4 oz. chicken breast, oven or steam cooked with BBQ sauce. A 3 bone baby back that I believe was boiled then broiled with BBQ sauce on it. 3 oz. pork and beans with BBQ sauce on it.
I definitely had my claim jumped. I'm always looking for a big suprize but never finding it. I am such a sucker.

By the way, this was posted on the Lang Facebook as a great rack of ribs. Is it just me or has the world lost reason?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
06-04-2012 05:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
imfree2q Offline

RE: Claim Jumper
I would have thrown that rack to the dogs. I feel your pain Larry!

Mel Jensen
JensenPit custom BBQ smokers
801-589-7423
Plain City, Utah
jensenpits@gmail.com
Facebook.com/JensenPit

"Dont over think it or you'll ruin it"
06-04-2012 07:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HDBBQ Offline
Keep your Pig Smiling

Wow!!! I can't help but wonder how many drinks this cook was in to feel that way?

James Parr
H&D BBQ TEAM
Sponsors:
Snider Bros Meats
BBQ Pit Stop
ALLREDY Canopies
Jensen Pit Custom BBQ Smokers

http://www.hdbbq.net
06-04-2012 08:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Three4Que Offline

Ahh, but do we know the whole story? It could be that these were the best ribs they'd ever done. Do you all remember how you felt after cooking your first few batches of ribs or any BBQ and the satisfaction that that particular cook was your best you had done so far?

Appearances are sometimes deceiving and only a 1/3 of the overall score. Without actually trying those ribs it is hard to judge how good they actually are. It could be they used a darker colored sauce or had too much sugar in it.

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
06-05-2012 07:01 AM
Pigout Offline

Yep that would be the overpriced Claim Jumper for ya! Tried that been there only once...never again, can't believe their still in bussiness...nice building with a great location. Well at least camping was good huh? What did you end up smoking up in the woods?

"BBQ so good it's time to Pigout"
06-05-2012 08:47 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

(06-05-2012 07:01 AM)Three4Que Wrote:  Ahh, but do we know the whole story? It could be that these were the best ribs they'd ever done. Do you all remember how you felt after cooking your first few batches of ribs or any BBQ and the satisfaction that that particular cook was your best you had done so far?

Hey, I still do that all the time! Wink

Quote:Appearances are sometimes deceiving and only a 1/3 of the overall score.

In KCBS they are just under 1/7th of the total score!

Quote:Without actually trying those ribs it is hard to judge how good they actually are. It could be they used a darker colored sauce or had too much sugar in it.

You're right... but do I have to go try them, or can I take one look... and not really want to try them? Tongue

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
06-05-2012 12:12 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Funny how people can post something like this, and get great comments? Ok, ok, I will confess, as I told ya before in New Mexico I got just what I deserved. These ribs looked like mine. The color was the same, tasted great, texture spot on but the appearance scores killed it, and I agreed. They looked great until the last 45 min, no excuse, too much smoke, or maybe the temp gauge was off, won't happen again! It is what it is, and there that is!

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
06-05-2012 01:36 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

TECHNOLOGY! Had that happen at Sam's when my remote said 185 it really should have said 145. Then yesterday I'm trouble shooting the electric brakes on my trailer. My meter is reading .5 amps, should read 3.5 for a good circuit. After four hours of cutting and splicing, I drop the meter and walla, it now reads 3.5. I never learn.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
06-05-2012 02:27 PM
mrcourtneyw Offline

This got me to thinking about my very first ribs I ever cooked. My wife and I ate that rack of baby backs in just a few minutes, and we still talk about the very first ones, and how great they tasted, and how we would never ever again by ribs from a restaurant like Chili's again! Here's what they looked like, and here's what they look like now-a-days! Big difference!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Courtney Wallace
The Q Spot BBQ Co. North Logan, UT
Smokin' on (2) WSM's, KCBS Member, CBJ
2010 Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
06-05-2012 03:39 PM
fidel_astorga Offline
Managing Member

Those ribs look pretty sad, I cook on a lang and they have never turned out like that!!!! knock on wood

CHICKEN BUTT BBQ UTAH
Lucy Lang 60" DLX Long Neck 40" Char Grill
KCBS Certified Judge
KCBS Certified Table Captain
UTAH BBQ Org Certified Judge
fidel@utahbbq.org
"Powered by Maxwell" Angel
06-05-2012 04:03 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

I know L.J. I should have calibrated it. A borrowed drum, all water under the bridge now bro. How are the Courtney's, miss you guys. Will you be cooking this year? Got a couple up your way this year.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 04:04 PM by T.)
06-05-2012 04:03 PM
elkski Offline

I had to log on for this thread!
why. it is about Pork, and especially ribs!
I dont see a rib pic in this thread I wouldn't enjoy trying..I like some crisp Sauce sometimes.. The first lang ribs do look rather dark but maybe it is a cloudy day? What if that black look turns out to be a chewy, yummy, caramel chewing texture, with super flavor on top of real juicy, meaty, smoky ribs??
I'm in.
they do look rather dark on second look but I like jerky too.

Team "Smoke-n-mirrors" its all in the beers.
Life is like the smell of smoking pork. stay in the downdraft and follow the sweet smell., enjoy each bite.
KCBS #9231
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2012 06:30 AM by elkski.)
06-07-2012 06:29 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

(06-07-2012 06:29 AM)elkski Wrote:  I had to log on for this thread!
why. it is about Pork, and especially ribs!
I dont see a rib pic in this thread I wouldn't enjoy trying..I like some crisp Sauce sometimes.. The first lang ribs do look rather dark but maybe it is a cloudy day? What if that black look turns out to be a chewy, yummy, caramel chewing texture, with super flavor on top of real juicy, meaty, smoky ribs??
I'm in.
they do look rather dark on second look but I like jerky too.

And some cameras along with bad light just dont do them justice

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
06-07-2012 09:31 PM