Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Huntsville BBQ Challenge Sept. 28-29
Pegleg Offline

Huntsville BBQ Challenge Sept. 28-29
There’s been a change in the Huntsville competition that was previously scheduled for September 14 -15.

The new date is September 28th & 29th and will be held at Huntsville Park in conjunction with the first annual Huntsville Marathon; attached is a link to the marathon website

Huntsville Marathon

PayPal payment form

“The Huntsville Barbecue Challenge” will be a non-sanctioned event however; we are in the process of obtaining a Governors letter of recognition which will make it a State Championship and qualifier for the Royal and the Jack in 2013.

We are having both pro and backyard divisions. The entry fee for the pro division is $200 and the backyard is $50; the prize money for the pro division will be $5000 and the amount for backyard will be announced shortly.

There are vending opportunities available. The expected turnout of the marathon is 800 to 1000 runners; if you include family members and other spectators, the number of people at this event could possibly exceed 3000. I will stay in touch with the marathon organizers and keep you updated. If you are interested, please e-mail Greg Farley, at greg@huntsvillebbq.com

Please click on the links for the entry forms and judging apps; a PayPal link will be added shortly. If you have any questions, please call me @ (801) 564-6121 or e-mail, Huntsvillesmoke@gmail.com

Thank you so much for your support.

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
06-05-2012 09:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

RE: Huntsville BBQ Challenge Sept. 28-29
Thanks Lyle!

Clicking the links below will download a copy of the form to your computer!

Huntsville Pro Team Entry Form

Huntsville Backyard Team Entry Form

Huntsville Judges Application

PayPal payment form

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
06-05-2012 12:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

There you go!

Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
06-05-2012 03:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pegleg Offline

Thanks to those who've already signed up to judge, I'll reply with a confirmation shortly. I'm hoping to have a pay-pal button for the teams done this weekend; life got in the way here at home but we're back on track.

I've also got photos of the competition area I'll get posted as well so you see what it's like up there. There's lots of trees and shade and there's plenty of space, we can accomodate any size pit or rig.

Those who are interested in vending, please contact Greg at the address listed on the main page of this post.

Please call me on my home phone @ (801) 564-6121 if you have any immediate questions.

Thanks,

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
07-13-2012 07:32 AM
HDBBQ Offline
Keep your Pig Smiling

Nice Now Can do both ID and Huntsville

James Parr
H&D BBQ TEAM
Sponsors:
Snider Bros Meats
BBQ Pit Stop
ALLREDY Canopies
Jensen Pit Custom BBQ Smokers

http://www.hdbbq.net
07-13-2012 07:52 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

I was happy to hear that the date was moved, as to not double up with the Twin Falls comp. Thanks you Lyle for all your efforts on that! But now as time draws closer, I've come to realize that I will be in Green Bay for a game. So I'm sorry to say Lyle, I wont be able to make it ;-(

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
07-16-2012 10:30 AM
wallywombat Offline

My wife and I were hoping to be able to judge again this year, but unfortunately the new date conflicts with a trip we have planned.
07-16-2012 04:10 PM
Pegleg Offline

(07-16-2012 10:30 AM)PackerBacker Wrote:  I was happy to hear that the date was moved, as to not double up with the Twin Falls comp. Thanks you Lyle for all your efforts on that! But now as time draws closer, I've come to realize that I will be in Green Bay for a game. So I'm sorry to say Lyle, I wont be able to make it ;-(

Dave

Bummmer!! That's one of the reasons we moved the comp because of the conflict with Twin Falls, the other is to combine it with the first annual Huntsville Marathon.

I also failed to mention there will be water and power (15 amp) readily available to those who need it; the park is also lined with tall pine trees for plenty of shade.

For those who've never been this way before, Huntsville is a small, Mayberry type of town located in a valley 15 miles East up Ogden canyon on the East end of Pineview Reservoir. It can be accessed either through Ogden Canyon up 12th street or I-84 over trappers loop through Mountain Green. Both directions can handle any type of vehicles, in fact my wife routinely drives her 50' school bus up Ogden canyon.

We look forward to seeing you there!!

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
07-20-2012 01:31 PM
Big Johnson's BBQ Offline
Managing Member

Do you have a PayPal registration done yet? I'm trying to get all my comps confirmed for the rest of the season...

Pit's & Spit's 3060 - Yoder Comp BBQ Cart YS640!
KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
(Riverdale Road in Ogden)
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
07-20-2012 02:09 PM
Pegleg Offline

(07-20-2012 02:09 PM)Big Johnsons BBQ Wrote:  Do you have a PayPal registration done yet? I'm trying to get all my comps confirmed for the rest of the season...

I e-mailed the PayPal button code to Chris tonight, he'll have it posted shortly.

PayPal payment form

Thanks!!!!

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
07-23-2012 10:34 PM
Razcals Ribs Offline

Is this a Utah BBQ organisation competition or KCBS ether way count us in

if it moves salute it,if it don't paint it, if it is dead BBQ itCool
3 UDS
1 Nat Off Set Smoker
07-24-2012 06:49 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

It's a privately organized contest, not a KCBS one, and the Utah BBQ Organization assist where we can, helping to get teams and judges out to it.

07-24-2012 08:35 AM
Pegleg Offline

(07-24-2012 08:35 AM)SoEzzy Wrote:  It's a privately organized contest, not a KCBS one, and the Utah BBQ Organization assist where we can, helping to get teams and judges out to it.

For those who don't know me, my real name is Lyle Earl and we live in the Ogden area. Up until a few years ago I was involved quite heavily with the UBBQA as a managing member and helped run many sanctioned and non-sanctioned events. I am now working with Greg Farley, owner of the Huntsville BBQ Company to organize this event in conjunction with the Huntsville Marathon.

I really appreciate the support of the Utah BBQ Organization for their help in getting the information out to the teams and judges. This is a GREAT group of people to be involved with.

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
07-26-2012 11:43 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

The PayPal payment form is now up and available, click the link in this post, and in Peglegs posts above on this thread!

This is a good competition, and it does have the Backyard division as well as the Pro division, set in the middle of town, they close down a whole street for us and it has the city park on one side and an open lot on the other, it can get a little chilly in the middle of the night, the town is on a peninsula with the Pineview Reservoir surrounding it on three sides.

07-26-2012 02:13 PM
Pegleg Offline

Team Count

[bPro Division

Rub Q Long Time
Smoke in Laws

Below are photos of Huntsville Park. There is also a playground in the North East corner that is GREAT for kids -- young and old. The entire street on the North side of the park will be closed off for the competitors and there is plenty of room to accomodate any size of rig.

Playground

Pavillion

Memorial

Park West side street

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2012 01:02 PM by Pegleg.)
08-22-2012 12:41 PM
Pegleg Offline

Team Count

Pro Division

Rub Q Long Time
Smoke in Laws

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
08-22-2012 04:27 PM
Managing Member

How many do we have signed up?

KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
08-22-2012 05:24 PM
Pegleg Offline

Update Huntsville BBQ Challenge Sept. 28-29
New Updated Information:

I have received the "Governors Letter of Recognition" which now makes this a qualifier with a 15 teams.

There are currently over 1000 runners registered to compete in the Huntsville Marathon which begins at Monte Cristo and ends 26 miles later at Huntsville Park. If you take into account additional family and friends, there could easily be over 2000 people attending this event which will give Utah BBQ some great exposure. Please click on the link below for details on the marathon.

http://www.huntsvilleutahmarathon.com/hu...races.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The average historical temperature in the morning is 55 degrees and the afternoon temps are around 70 degrees.

In addition to the BBQ competition and marathon, there will be other vendor booths set up as well.

Given the response to the number of entries received for the marathon, this is making out to be an annual event and our goal is for the BBQ competition to be part of this as well.

If you are interested in BBQ vending, please call Greg Farley @ (801) 682-9386

Entry forms and judging apps are located on this thread.

If you have any other questions, please call me anytime; home phone(801) 564-6121 Cell (801) 718-0063.

Thank you so much for all of your support.
(08-22-2012 05:24 PM)Big Johnsons BBQ Wrote:  How many do we have signed up?

Right now we have two teams.

Rub Q Long Time; Roy
Smoke in Laws; Saratoga Springs

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2012 05:46 PM by Pegleg.)
08-22-2012 05:43 PM
Managing Member

I get signed up next week...!

KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
08-22-2012 05:59 PM
Razcals Ribs Offline

You have me in a couple of Weeks I will Sign up

if it moves salute it,if it don't paint it, if it is dead BBQ itCool
3 UDS
1 Nat Off Set Smoker
08-22-2012 09:27 PM
Pegleg Offline

I received word a few days ago that the Huntsville Marathon is now a qualifier for the Boston Marathon and they have over 1500 entries up to this point. I would venture to say there could ultimately be over 3000 people at the park on race day.

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
08-27-2012 07:21 AM
Pegleg Offline

Team Count

Pro Division

Rub Q Long Time; Roy
Smoke in Laws; Saratoga Springs
Chicken But BBQ Utah; American Fork

Greg has created a facebook page for the competition and has posted a schedule of events.

Huntsville BBQ Challenge

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
08-30-2012 10:35 PM
Pegleg Offline

Team Count, Huntsville BBQ Challenge Sept. 28-29
Team Count

Pro Division

Rub Q Long Time: Roy
Smoke in Laws: Saratoga Springs
Chicken But BBQ Utah: American Fork
Dubba Dass BBQ: Ogden

Backyard

C.D. Butt Smokers: Riverdale
More Beer: Ogden

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
09-05-2012 09:49 PM
Pegleg Offline

Team Count

Pro Division

Backyard

Razcal Ribs: Clearfield
The City Council has given their approval to close the entire street on the West side of the park, directly in front of the restaurant; the biggest advantage of this is more shade for the teams. The turn-in's will be in front of the "Detours" store located next to the restaurant and the judging will take place behind "Detours".

Listed below is a detailed schedule; I plan to be on site no later than 8:00 a.m.; you may arrive earlier than that if you choose and I'll do the meat inspection as soon as the teams are ready.

Friday

9:00 am: Set-up starts
6:00 pm: Pitmaster / Head Cook Meeting - Behind Detours by stage
7:00 pm: Pot-Luck dinner

Saturday

12:00pm: Chicken turn-in
12:30pm: Pork Rib turn-in
1:00 pm: Pork Shoulder/Butt turn-in
1:30 pm: Beef Brisket turn-in
2:00 pm: Chicken turn-in for Backyard
2:30 pm: Pork Rib turn-in for Ribs
4:00 pm: Award Ceremony

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2012 10:13 PM by Pegleg.)
09-10-2012 09:51 PM
Pegleg Offline

******A reminder**********
This is a NO GARNISHMENT competition, tin foil will be used as the alternative.

Only a few weeks left and we still need 10 more teams for a qualifier; this may be the last competition in Utah for 2012. Thanks for your support!!

Team Count

Pro Division

HQO: West Jordan

Backyard

Razcal Ribs: Clearfield

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
09-12-2012 11:44 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Huntsville Smokin' Valley BBQ Challenge Pegleg 7 2,032 05-16-2012 01:38 AM
Last Post: LH1440