Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rib questions
Phred Offline

Rib questions
I have recently picked up some bbq cook books from the thrift store. One of them is titled: John Willingham's Workd Champion Bar-B-Q. He gives a couple of rib recipes that I thought were interesting. He brush's the ribs with a 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar mixed with a 1/2 cup of water. Then he sprinkles the ribs with a rub and then refrigerates them for at least 12 hours.

Any of you tried soaking your ribs in a marinade? Recently I smoked some baby backs that really had a lot of meat on them and the meat tasted a bit on the dry side once they were tender. I was wondering if marinading them would help keep them moister?

Phred
06-12-2012 09:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

RE: Rib questions
Some of the Hormel products, and those baby back ribs from Denmark that WalMart carry are enhanced with a 12 - 18% salt solution, and I've cooked them by mistake, I don't like the hammy texture that you get from them.

John Willingham is a well known name in the BBQ world.

The Apple Juice and vinegar will help denature some of the meat proteins, acids act on the meat, that is the basis of ceviche, and vinegar is acetic acid, the apple juice is also acidic, and will help denature the protein, just be careful as if you take it too far you will end up with a pile of mush with some bones in it!

If you look at what pineapple, (papain), it can do nice job in a MoJo or a terrible job at making meat mush.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
06-12-2012 10:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dousley Offline
"Roll Tide"

RE: Rib questions
Years ago we always mopped our ribs what seemed like 50 times during the cooking process with cider and butter. They were always moist when it was over so I guess marinade would be a good idea to try

Don

Don Ousley
CBJ
06-12-2012 07:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply