Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help!!!! Pork Butts for decent price in Ogden area
Pegleg Offline

Help!!!! Pork Butts for decent price in Ogden area
Monday night I'm cooking a 100 pounds of pork for a Young Men activity. I usually get them at Kents Market in Roy for a fairly decent price. This time the price is $2.99 per pound which seems a bit high. Is that the going rate right now??

Instead I orderd 50 #'s of cushion meat and 50 #'s of butts; the cushion meat is $1.19 per # but doesn't have the fat the butts have so I'll just mix them together. The cushion meat is used to make boneless pork ribs and has very little shrinkage.

My Sams card is expired so that, unfortunately is not an option. Where does everyone here on the North end get their products?? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
06-22-2012 11:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

RE: Help!!!! Pork Butts for decent price in Ogden area
Case price at Sam's Club for bone in butts is 1.48. There are approx. 80 pounds per case (ten butts). Looks like a rip off to me.
Sam's club membership would pay for it's self fast at this rate.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2012 11:58 AM by Larry Jacobs.)
06-22-2012 11:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stewartr002 Offline

Pegleg,
Go to Oscars Meats down by the railroad tracks around 31st street. His phone number is 801-394-6472. Address is 250 W 31 Street, Ogden, Ut. I just bought 20lbs from him for $1.42 per pound. He's open only until 3:00 p.m. and I don't think they are open on Saturday but not sure.
He's a wholesaler and has anything you want. I picked up a 10lb package of ribs ($2.17/lb) and 35lbs of brisket ($2.39/lb) along with the pork yesterday. Good luck.
Randy

Randy Stewart
"Utah BBQ Org. & KCBS Certified Judge"
Lang 36 Patio, Jensen 18"x30" Backyard Side Box Pit, Traeger Lil' Tex Elite Smokers
Smoke On!
06-22-2012 03:30 PM
Pegleg Offline

Larry, I felt it was a rip off too, that's why I threw it out here; you're right a Sams Club membership would pay for itself. It seems that lately Kents market has become an over-priced convenience store. Randy, thanks for the tip on Oscars meats, I'll stop by the next time I'm in that area!!

Yesterday I happened by the Winco on 12th & Wall and off the cuff, talked to one of the meat managers; he had a 130 pounds with last weeks sale price, I got them for $1.49 a pound.

Thank you VERY much for all of your help!!

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
06-24-2012 09:31 PM
Big Johnson's BBQ Offline
Managing Member

SAMs Club case price in Oden is $1.39... I bought 6 cases!
SAMs Club case price in Ogden is $1.39... I bought 6 cases!

Bonneville Meats is also has great prices on 21st Street!

Pit's & Spit's 3060 - Yoder Comp BBQ Cart YS640!
KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
(Riverdale Road in Ogden)
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2012 12:13 AM by Big Johnson's BBQ.)
06-25-2012 12:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Phred Offline

Dan's at Foothill Village in Salt Lake had picnic shoulders (bone-in) on sale for $.99 lb. on Saturday. In store sale only, I'm not sure if it is still on.

Phred
06-25-2012 10:55 AM
LH1440 Offline

The only thing wrong with Oscars is he will not let you pick out your own meat. He brings you his selections out to you. I have been there several times in the last 2 months, 2 weeks ago he charged me 2.59/lb for 14 racks of spare ribs. I can get spares at Sams for 1.90/lb (case price) last week.

Try Dons in Roy on 19th st. I heard it is good.

When Pigs Fly BBQ Team
Kise SmokerSmile
And on the 8th day the Lord created BBQ!and he called it the BEST!
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2012 01:37 AM by LH1440.)
06-27-2012 01:36 AM