Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Money making Chicken cooking vendor
elkski Offline

Money making Chicken cooking vendor
We went to see the sandy fireworks last night. That was ok and all but they had lots of food vendors and things for young kids and families to do.
This one vendor from AZ. was kicking it out of the ball park.
They had the longest line and quite the chicken cooking machine.
They were using mesquite lump.. looked like they had used at least 5- 8 bags.. in fact I should have talked to them to buy any extra they had.. I might see if they are still they are there this am but I bet they packed up for home.

I am not sure how they didn't cook off the trailer tires that thing was so hot.
It was quite the factory.. 4-5 guys were cooking... they needed faster ladies up front as the line was too long.
They were using chicken leg quarters. no trimming done at all. Some had large skin flaps... One special table was the loading one. guy putting chicken on this long rod with a gear on one end. I think it was brined in coolers. I really dont know where they could pull so much chicken from?? THey must have had a supply truck?? AT 9pm they were cooking at full speed and full table and long line. The chicken legs were out.. I would say 20 leg quarters per rod.. the cooker held like 8 of these.
It appeared the cooking took about 25 mins each rod. There was an loading table. this guy would take the cooked chicken off the rod and chop it into pieces. They needed more man power there. However no temp probes were used or rubber gloves that I saw.
The cooker guys were tough dudes it was hot 8 feet away.
A chain was running along the one side and they would just set the rods with a gear on it on the chain. The RPM was fast like 30-60 RPM
The name was like Hawaiian something and the cats all looked Hawaiian.

What a money making machine!!! The cooker machine and resulting smoke plume and process was quite the spectacle and helped sell the chicken... THis vending setup did take up a very large footprint...

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Team "Smoke-n-mirrors" its all in the beers.
Life is like the smell of smoking pork. stay in the downdraft and follow the sweet smell., enjoy each bite.
KCBS #9231
07-05-2012 07:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HDBBQ Offline
Keep your Pig Smiling

RE: Money making Chicken cooking vendor
Damn now thats how u cook some chicken!

James Parr
H&D BBQ TEAM
Sponsors:
Snider Bros Meats
BBQ Pit Stop
ALLREDY Canopies
Jensen Pit Custom BBQ Smokers

http://www.hdbbq.net
07-05-2012 12:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stewartr002 Offline

This sounds like Huli-huli chicken which is a staple fund raiser method in Hawaii. Over there they sell whole chickens for around $6.00 a piece (smaller chicken though) and they sell out every time they do it. This is the first time I've seen this kind of portable set up. Looks like they have taken the show on the road. By the way, there is a thriving Hawaiian community around SLC, Tooele and I'm sure other places. Pam and I frequent the Hawaiian BBQ restaurant called L&L Drive In (S. 700 East & University Blvd., 358 S. 700 East) to get a taste of what was our home for 15 years. Seeing the Huli-huli chicken stand again really brings back memories. Thanks for sharing.
Randy

Randy Stewart
"Utah BBQ Org. & KCBS Certified Judge"
Green Mountain Grill Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker
Smoke On!
07-05-2012 01:46 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

You are right Randy. Also these guys were at the state fair last year as well, and at the BBQ contest that was held at the fair grounds. There choice of fuel source seems to be lump charcoal. I have seen them use an electric leaf blower to agitate the fire, works great. Great chicken! I new a family in Cali that had a similar setup and they did Cornish game hens and served them with a nice plum sauce, ate two and got two to go!

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
07-05-2012 02:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
elkski Offline

I SM thn
I am thinking the stand name was Hawaiian huli huli
The plate in the trailer was AZ. These hind quarters were large. I was figuring it out today as a 150-200chicken per hour cooker. At maybe 10$ profit per chicken. Hmmmmm
I see in the menu pic that they sold pig. So I am thinking maybe overnight they cooked a whole pig using some rotiserie in those uprights.

Team "Smoke-n-mirrors" its all in the beers.
Life is like the smell of smoking pork. stay in the downdraft and follow the sweet smell., enjoy each bite.
KCBS #9231
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2012 04:35 PM by elkski.)
07-05-2012 04:27 PM
Desert Magnolia Offline

Used to know a guy in Alabama that does carnies and makes a mint in pig country with a meadow creak chicken cooker. People wont pay more than $3 for a sandwich but will pay $8 for a full chicken and noting else!! I have to admit I have done it around here before I opened up with the cooker I got.

BDS 1 BDS 2
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
07-06-2012 04:54 PM
StephenWilson Offline

This Chicken cooker or one just like it was at the Taylorsville park on Labor day. The Polynesians were having a party, and the cooker was going full bore. It was full of Chicken Quarters or Halves. The grass around it was stacked with cases of chicken. There was definitely a glut of chickens. The island music was going, and it looked like they were set up for a band. I also saw this cooker at “Taylorsville Days” in June. I was at the park flying my RC Plane. I did do some practice cooks of Chicken and Ribs, preparing for the State Fair. This will be my first “Backyard” cook. Lets see! if I cook fifty chickens at once, one of them has to be a winner. Wink
09-04-2012 11:00 AM
Pigout Offline

Nice...stepping up to the plate. Good luck I hope everything goes well, we did our first BY comp in Layton, pretty fun and had a great time. Huntsville we'll be our next shot at greatness. Tongue

"BBQ so good it's time to Pigout"
09-04-2012 04:33 PM