Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Choices we make in BBQ! Rant!
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

RE: Choices we make in BBQ! Rant!
(09-12-2012 08:32 PM)vbtjvt Wrote:  Wow, I am now glad I have made the choice to never compete. I won't add my opinion here because as pointed out very clearly My opinion doesn't matter. Last year I thought I Had found a cool group of fellow BBQ peeps and became a paid member. (stupid me) Now I would like my membership deleted. Thanks for the rotten taste I have in my mouth now when it comes to BBQ in Utah.

Well thank goodness you didn't feel the need to state your opinion... oh on second thoughts you did state your opinion, (but that was a choice too), I've deleted your membership as you requested, even though I share the taste of ash in my mouth from your request to do so!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
09-12-2012 09:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Farrier Offline

heres a post from Stone

Quote:It looks like they are getting close to the 15 teams now. It is only a 3 hour drive, Synder's meat has some great briskets at a great price and The entry fee is low, low,low.

I ENCOURAGE all you that might be thinking about doing a first contest this is a great event to start at. Lets support Rob and get up there if you can, only of course if it does not conflict you budget, time or the way the moon and stars line up for you.

see he can do it with encourgment, instead of a guilttrip.

congradulatons forbeing able to learn and adaped!
09-13-2012 11:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Three4Que Offline

Thanks Farrier for the quote from Stone. It looks good and well thought out to me!

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
09-13-2012 11:28 AM
Trever Offline

This whole thread is the reason People are turned off to bbq in Utah, everyone tries to act all high and mighty with their thinly vailed insults. ... I could give my own personal experiences why I have this opinion but it would just add fuel to the b.s. that constitutes this "fire"... The WHOLE "issue" is an embarrassment to BBQ in Utah. All I notice is a bunch of "peacocking" and pointing fingers. Folks getting bent out of shape for shit that my kids dont even fight about.
I dont pick sides, Im on my own side and if you want to come hang out and cook than your more than welcome, If you want to come and try to "recruit" me to one "side" or the other then please dont waist my time. I dont Judge anyone by what others say about them so dont waist your time.
I knew I shouldnt have clicked the thread when I saw it.... I guess im a sucker for curiosity. Thats 5 minutes of my life Ill never get back lol.....

happy cooking.

Its not relief society.... its BBQ Wink... have fun!!
09-13-2012 04:32 PM
Brdprey Offline

well since im new (sort of) and after reading the post you guys have points from all over. the bottom line to the chris soap box (no disrespect just what i use for rants) is it comes down to respect. we should all respect each other no matter what. we all have opinions, we all have ideas, we all have the same intrest in the smoking. i love all your input and some day ( flex arms , chest out. ... beam of light from behind to show silouet) hope to compete with all of you. on some sites it seems people wear their feelers on their shoulders. hopefuly people dont come to that conclusion on this site (especially since this is our neck of the woods). personally i hope i get to know all of you. i hope to become good friends with all of you, and in the long run i hope we can act like friends and not have to worry about .........you said what?. i know this isnt about me its about us and i hope that is the way you take it. you guys and gals are great. and remember EVERYTHING you hear is just an opinion. take it that way. oh ............and remember an opinion is like what ( o ) we all have one.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2012 04:55 PM by Brdprey.)
09-13-2012 04:53 PM
fidel_astorga Offline
Managing Member

"AMEN" Well put!!!

(09-13-2012 04:32 PM)Trever Wrote:  This whole thread is the reason People are turned off to bbq in Utah, everyone tries to act all high and mighty with their thinly vailed insults. ... I could give my own personal experiences why I have this opinion but it would just add fuel to the b.s. that constitutes this "fire"... The WHOLE "issue" is an embarrassment to BBQ in Utah. All I notice is a bunch of "peacocking" and pointing fingers. Folks getting bent out of shape for shit that my kids dont even fight about.
I dont pick sides, Im on my own side and if you want to come hang out and cook than your more than welcome, If you want to come and try to "recruit" me to one "side" or the other then please dont waist my time. I dont Judge anyone by what others say about them so dont waist your time.
I knew I shouldnt have clicked the thread when I saw it.... I guess im a sucker for curiosity. Thats 5 minutes of my life Ill never get back lol.....

happy cooking.

CHICKEN BUTT BBQ UTAH
Lucy Lang 60" DLX Long Neck 40" Char Grill
KCBS Certified Judge
KCBS Certified Table Captain
UTAH BBQ Org Certified Judge
fidel@utahbbq.org
"Powered by Maxwell" Angel
09-14-2012 10:36 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Let's look at some facts. The original post said nothing about anyone but was just comments on how each of us must judge for our selves what is best for us and our use of avalible resources. It went on to say using guilt as a tool for promoting an event was not right. It was followed by a page full of support.

The second page turned ugly only because one or two people had past personal problems that had nothing to do with the post but felt it was time to vent ugly. Then other weak people joined in the food fight and here we are.
I went to a U of U game last year and the drunk behind me wouldn't sit down, shut up and ended up spelling beer on my kids. I didn't march down to the ticket office, demand my money back and go home never to return. If I were to stand up and say "This drunk is the reason people are leaving this game" I would have been booed, and I should be.

We have dozens of good BBQ lovers that see this problem for what it is: I say white, and some will say "Black and I hate you".
Life is too short to waste on the jerks of the world. Stick around, we out number them.

PEACE,LOVE AND BBQ!!!

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
09-14-2012 11:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trever Offline

Larry you are one of those that think you are above it all... you peddle your opinions as "facts". You have no credibility to even be in this thread and here is why... You ARE part of the problem. I year ago I went to a couple of contests around Utah to do some research for the Coalville comp. The first time I met you was at Rockin Ribs at the Galavin Center. I asked you and two other ppl (whom I wont name since they have not said anything in the thread) for some advice or what you guys would like to see at the comp... we discussed fees, prize money ect... then you said to me to stay as far away from R and R as possible, that If I and the contest would be better off not involving them in the contest. Other disparaging things were said about them and a few others. After that I decided not to use Utah BBQ Association to host the event. I used a promoter from Arizona who was unbias and didnt have a "dog in the fight" I could go on about how this promoter had "run ins" with people from both associations but Ill cut it short there. I wanted the contest to be bigger than a "hatfields and mccoy" feud. Now I say all this to point out that you Larry are not above it all... you are right in the middle of it and try to come off "holier than thou". You are way too bias to have any credibility on this topic. You attacked Meatman for voicing his opinion... he said "white"... and you said "black and I hate you".
I have personal experiences with 3 individuals that were turned off of this sight for the exact reason you claim youre above... Its true some people might be okay with Beer being thrown on them at a U of U game... but those that are not okay with it should be given the same respect as you are asking for. If there was no "insinuation" or as I called it in my last post "thinly veiled insults" in this thread then why is there a problem... is it perhaps you see black and you hate me?.... shore up your own foundation before you start casting stones.......

IMHO.

09-14-2012 08:15 PM
Razcals Ribs Offline

Can't we all just be Friends and BBQ

if it moves salute it,if it don't paint it, if it is dead BBQ itCool
3 UDS
1 Nat Off Set Smoker
09-14-2012 08:26 PM
Razcals Ribs Offline

It's only BBQ

3 UDS
1 Nat Off Set Smoker
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2012 08:27 PM by Razcals Ribs.)
09-14-2012 08:26 PM
imfree2q Offline

I agree trever. But its not just one here on this site. It's the guys in the association. I was slammed today for someone else's fight. These guys "some of them" think that they are all that. Out there flying under the radar like they are the peace makers when in reality they are causing the problems. They can say and do what they like. they dont show any respect to others but demand respect for them selves. There is a post on here that basically tells us that if you dont comp or judge or promote or think the way they think, that you should go pound sand!! Really pound sand.? This kind of language is inappropriate and pushes folks out!! Isn't this forum here to help people out no matter who they are or where they stand in BBQ? Heck what do you think a new person to this site thinks when they read that they bring nothing to BBQ or this site?. Now let the excuses roll. Part of promoting BBQ is promoting the people here on this site no matter what it is. Instead you just get told your nothing or you bring nothing. Stop banning folks and get to the point of the problems. And this association needs to stop and look at its self and make some changes. This site is not just about a few.. But it's about all us members payed or not. We all love BBQ that's why we are here. This use to be a really cool place to come hang out. But now there is so much hate and back stabbing it's tough to get involved. you ban folks for the very things you guys are doing. It's ok for anyone of you to say whatever you want and how you want to say it. It don't matter how tasteless it is as long as its coming from someone in this association. But your all over the banned button if someone else has a thought you don't agree with.
Hope you all do well in the comp!! Hope some of you start reconsidering who you think you are!! "everyone on here brings something" treat others with respect and you just might get respect in return!!!
Good night all..

Mel Jensen
JensenPit custom BBQ smokers
801-589-7423
Plain City, Utah
jensenpits@gmail.com
Facebook.com/JensenPit

"Dont over think it or you'll ruin it"
09-14-2012 11:31 PM
Member closed account! Offline
Eating Enthusiast

This is dysfunction at its finest. It would be funny if I was on the outside looking in, sadly I'm on the inside getting a real good look. Unfortunately Utah BBQ Assocation have given its self a real nice shiner. This thred for what ever reason has really brought out the worst in some folks, the best in a few, and proubly caused eveyone else to wonder. I'm not a hater, I'm fledging pitmaster. I love to learn new things, I love to cook, I love to compete, I love to help out a new guy. I didn't want to be part of the proublem, I really wanted to be part of the solution. Funny thing when nobody sees the elephant in the room. Sad when everyone sees it but you.
09-14-2012 11:36 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

To those that followed my general rant, with rants of their own, and then claim to be innocent and only acting to point out the mote in another persons eye, thank you for showing by your own rants, that sometimes we all deem our rants are necessary, (even if everyone else's are unjustified)!

I also love those that comment, "get over it", "it's just BBQ", "the past is the past, put it behind you", "well they never did anything to me", well the history goes back 3 or more years, the insults and injuries have fallen on both sides, those that chose to say they are above it all as long as it doesn't touch them, are missing a big part of the point, that to those that were there, are not so easy to forgive the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

There has been effectively a war in BBQ in Utah since certain folks began attacking the Utah BBQ Association in February 2010, to those that came into the site and the organization after that date, and buried their heads in the sand, and chose to ignore the past I'd like to offer this famous quote.

Quote:Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.
Those who do not read history are doomed to repeat it.
Those who fail to learn from the mistakes of their predecessors are destined to repeat them.
Those who do not know history's mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

Well let us all refuse to learn from history... but that means we will be doomed to repeat it.
Well let us just forget about the past... then we can be condemned to repeat those mistakes again.
Well let's not read from the histories... anyone seeing a pattern forming here?

For those thinking that they are holding themselves above any controversy, when it does come back, (if it does), and it lands on your shoulders, 1) are you going to forgive all others when it happens, 2) are you going to say, get over it, it's just BBQ, or are you going to wonder if your head in the sand attitude was why it returned to bite you on the ass?

This site is not perfect, it runs the best it can when functioning at the hands of an imperfect human being... after all, to err is human, to forgive divine! But I'm not going to forgive easily or if I do forgive, how am I going to forget, (those that do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes), I'm not divine, I'll probably continue to show my humanity by continuing to err!

FYI, this site is run on my dime... (remember I'm a poor fallible human), if you know you can run it or another site better, please go ahead build your own forum and run it for yourself, and show us all how it should be done in your perfect world!

But don't make choices, and always allow spammers in, in fact let everyone in, and then defend their right to tell you how you should run it, without reacting. Don't choose who stays and who goes and don't ever even think about using the ban button, (not once... remember that)!

It's sadder still when no one see's the "past" is connected to the "now" and the "now" is connected to the "future".

Respice, adspice, prospice has been my BBQ motto for many years, it's a Roman proverb. http://www.latin-dictionary.org/Respice,...,_prospice tell me it's not appropriate for this whole conversation!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
09-15-2012 02:04 AM
Razcals Ribs Offline

Thank You Chris

3 UDS
1 Nat Off Set Smoker
09-15-2012 11:54 AM
Trever Offline

Chris I havent really got to know you that well in real life, Ive been a to a few contests where you were there and you have never given me personally a reason to say anything negative against you, you have been nice to me in the little interaction that we have had... Im trying to figure out your last post and near as I can tell Im one of the ones with my head in the sand... at least I think thats how you classified me. Ive kept quiet for the most part on these forums, to be honest I really dont even log on here much. Mostly because Im not big into drama... the fact that im posting on this thread is not lost on me and I understand Ive crossed me own "line" so to speak. I should have just clicked the big "X" in the top right corner when I say this thread title. Anyway all I have commented on in my own personal experience and am setting the record straight with some of the "holier than thou" attitudes that commented here. If my head is in the sand about some past feud that I was never a part of then so be it, Ide call it ignorance though Wink... I guess what Im getting at is the past will always be in your face if you keep stirring up the pot. And thats the reputation that this site now has... one that stirs the pot.. at least its the reputation it has with me and the circle of cook I see most often (no not just cooks from the other side of the ditch either) Im talking common back yard guys. Threads like this keep the fire stoked and continues to burn down the bbq potential in Utah. Im finding it harder and harder to believe that the true intention of either association is to promote BBQ in the community rather it has turned into a pissing match... These are my 2 cents, if anyone would like to call me and express concern, frustration or opinion about me or my opinions feel free 801-891-5309.

I wont be looking anymore at this thread...

09-16-2012 08:00 AM