Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Choices we make in BBQ! Rant!
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Choices we make in BBQ! Rant!
[rant]

The choices we make in BBQ often appear to be arbitrary to outsiders, foil or no foil, fat side up or down, left handed brisket or right handed, offset, WSM, UDS, pellet pooper there are a lot of choices that we make about how we are going to cook, and how those choices affect the meat at the end of the day.

Another area that we have to make choices is regarding the competitions we attend or those that we are not able to attend.

The contest 225 miles away is a dent in the pocket book just for the gas involved, for those of us on a budget, the difference between the $120.00 in gas for that journey and the journey of 60 miles, ($32.00 gas), the next week end, that nearly $90.00 makes the difference to the budget BBQer of going or not going, and that $90.00 will pay 2/3rds of the meat from another closer contest.

If I could afford to attend every contest that I could get to in a year, I would only be at home 4 or 5 weekends a year and away the rest, if the entry fee's didn't add up, and the mileage, and the meat costs, if I had spare change that meant I could make them all, I'd be there. This also goes to classes and pits and wagyu beef and duroc pork, if I had spare change I'd take a class or a dozen and travel the country adding to my knowledge, if I had the spare change to buy wagyu beef and duroc pork I'd try that too, I'd like a nice offset pit on a trailer as well, but that's the least of my worries at the moment, as I'm still sure it's the cook not the cooker!

For those that either have success on the BBQ circuit, and make more money than they spend from their sponsorship and winnings, or for those that have salary's or wives that work, or are empty nester's, congratulations!

We all make those choices as I said at the first of this thread, times are tight and spare change has a number of calls against it. If anyone wants to sponsor any of the teams that are struggling to make more competitions, I'm sure there would be a long list of people willing to come out and cook more often.

Perhaps our choices don't work for other teams, perhaps they are not even working well for us, but they are our choices based on our lives and other choices that we have made in the past and will make in the future!

I find it hard to swallow when told on these forums and others, that one should go to this contest or that contest, based on the choices someone else has or hasn't made and on what they spend their spare change on.

If wishes were fishes, I'd be dinning on fish 3 or 4 times a week, if I can get to a contest, based on meat prices, time and distance, gas prices, entry fees, prize money, etc, then I'll do what I can to get there... the reality of my current situation is that if I don't have the money for the gas to get there and get home, the chances are that I don't have the money for the meat or the entry fees.

If you travel out of State on a regular basis... that's your choice.
If you stick to contests inside your financial reach... that's your choice too.
If you can't even get to all the local contests... that's either your choice or just the reality you are living in.

Good luck to all those that can afford to travel the world doing the things that they love.

Good luck to those that can't afford to do it, better to keep doing the things you love on the scale you can afford, than to stop doing it altogether.

Good luck to all those that used to compete and who stopped, for what ever reason, I know some gave up because they lost the love of doing what they were doing, some that gave up because of the BS in the area in the past 4 or 5 years... here we are back to those choices again.

Perhaps we would have better turnouts to ALL competitions, if some of those choices had not been made in the past... but they were and here we are down the line, finding contests hard to fill, unless there are bigger purses, lower entry fees and more of them at a local level, so that those that want to attend and can, are able to do so without feeling obligated to so, just because someone else's choices allow them, (the other person), to make the contest.

Encourage people to go to contests as much as you like, but when you start trying to guilt them into going, it becomes a little past the point of good taste.

Travelling with the time / money commitment that entails, is a fine and valuable choice that one can make if you have both of them, if you have the time but no money or the money but no time, having someone point out what you should do, doesn't help you solve that problem, no matter how much they think they are helping you!

[/rant]

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
09-10-2012 01:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bwinther Offline
Managing Member

RE: Choices we make in BBQ! Rant!
Well said Chris as always. You should get into politics. Angel Tongue

Brian

Brian

HQO
Gotta have it
2013 Utah's Representative to the Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational BBQ Competition
KCBS Certified Judge
Managing Member
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2012 01:53 PM by bwinther.)
09-10-2012 01:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rod Livingston Offline
Banned

I agree, if you can go, go. If you can't go , then don't go. If you want to cook meat fat side up then cook it that way if that is what works for you.

If you are offended by some encouragement to help someone out that is your choice too. We all make choices everyday to everything we do or don't do. No offense intended.
09-10-2012 02:15 PM
mrcourtneyw Offline

For the past few years I have been Sampsons "Pit Bitch", and a KCBS certified judge, which has been a great learning experience as I am new to this BBQ world. I first fired up a smoker 3 years ago, and never again can I eat ribs at Texas Roadhouse! Anyways, after last years contest up in Heber, I ventured out on my own and cooked at Freeway Mazda, and I had a blast. If it wasn't for an encouraging phone call from T, I wouldn't have gone.

This year, I haven't been to any contests, as a judge or as a cook. That wasn't my intent at the start of the year, I had planned on cooking at least 2 contests, but both of those didn't happen this year. I really don't have the cash, so I planned on judging, but then my 11 year old decided it was time for competition soccer. Since there isn't enough teams up here in Cache Valley, I started one up, to give more girls the chance to play. So far it's been a great, but trying, experience. But, it has taken away really any chance of getting to contests since my weekends are all but shot. The things we do for our kids!

Many of you have reached out to me, inviting me out, and I really do appreciate it. I wish I had more time, and a little more cash, and I would be there. I am aware of the issues of the past, and I do hope that everything can be pushed aside and the contests can roll on. Hopefully next year I won't have soccer on a competition weekend, and I will try to get out there, either cooking or judging. I'd love to put together something up here in Logan, I know a few others up here that might be able to help with that.

Good luck to all, and Soezzy, thanks for this post, well said.

Courtney Wallace
The Q Spot BBQ

Courtney Wallace
The Q Spot BBQ Co. North Logan, UT
Smokin' on (2) WSM's, KCBS Member, CBJ
2010 Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
09-10-2012 02:51 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

(09-10-2012 02:15 PM)Rod Livingston Wrote:  If you are offended by some encouragement to help someone out that is your choice too. We all make choices everyday to everything we do or don't do. No offense intended.

I'm not offended by encouragement, as you'll see from Courtney's post, a phone call can be all it takes to encourage someone, I am however offended by brow beating and guilt trip tactics... I don't take well to either one, neither do lots of other people and that was part of what I was trying to point out!

Still you are correct that we will all continue to make choices based on our personalities... or lack of them! Wink

Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
09-10-2012 06:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bud-wie-ser Offline

Very well put Chris.
I personally dont care one way or the other about the politics of the past.
I do care about BBQ and hope to stay involved as much as possible.

I had planned to compete last year, and planned to compete again this year, but that hasnt worked out very well.

So I volunteer to judge when time and circumstances allow.

Like you so succinctly put it in your opening rant, we all make the choices that work for us.

Bud
Sugaz and Spice BBQ
----------------------------------------------
Custom Drum Smoker
UDS
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
09-10-2012 09:26 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Thanks Bud, hope to see you out judging again before the end of the year!

09-10-2012 09:39 PM
imfree2q Offline

Very well put Chris.
I have good friendships with lots of folks competing and not competing. I have meet some awesome people that will always be my friends, some have stopped coming to this site because of the crap going on.. Some have stopped competing all together and others won’t start because of it.. Of course you know this. (Sad to me!!)
Its sucks that other people’s crappy choices affect others in such a way! Guys out there to your face are your friend but behind your back there not!! (But all the time preaching we got to promote BBQ in Utah!!) Ya bull crap they only promote themselves, don’t think things will change until some people are rotated out sort of speak..
Lots of hard and unnecessary feelings out there.
You hit the nail on the head Chris, lots of choices going on out there and some of them are poor and selfish choices at that.
Thanks for the friendships and help I have gotten here!!

Hope I didn’t offend!!

Mel Jensen
JensenPit custom BBQ smokers
801-589-7423
Plain City, Utah
jensenpits@gmail.com
Facebook.com/JensenPit

"Dont over think it or you'll ruin it"
09-11-2012 05:49 AM
Member closed account! Offline
Eating Enthusiast

I really don't see the point. If anyone feels bad about not being able to go to comps they shouldn't, and certainly no one should feel guilty. Competing isn't cheap, and ones responsibilities to our families should always take priority. There is definitely no reason to feel bad about that. It's true some of us have more time than money, some have more money than time, and some have plenty of money and time, but the common thread is we all have a passion for BBQ. Some love to cook it, some love to eat it, some love to build pits, and some love to compete. Someone has put together a KCBS event in Idaho, truthfully that's a big deal for our area, and I think that person deserves our admiration and our support. Someone tried to rally some support for this event, is that a bad thing? I didn't recall any brow beating, or guilt trips being handed out in any of the post. Speaking for myself, if I was accused of doing those things I would be very offended.
09-11-2012 07:39 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Meat Man, I hate to say this but I think you just made a bad move. Up until now now we were talking in generalities with no particular incident but you just assumed something and put a name and face on it. Whether this is true or not I have no idea and Chris was tactful enough not to leave clues.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
09-11-2012 09:02 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

It's all good Larry, there's no problem from my side Will.

As Larry said I was talking in generalities, so that I could rant about general attitudes, rather than about specifics, in an attempt to show that there can be encouragement, and there can be brow beating or guilt trips, these are not all about the Smoke on the Snake, they have occurred this year for the most part, (they've also occurred in previous years too), and there is probably going to be another round for Huntsville too.

Encouragement I want to encourage, and there are people out there, (yourself included Will), that do what they can in this regard, sometimes one persons encouragement is another persons brow beating, I do see that that can be the way they are seen from both sides.

I want us all to encourage each other, but be aware that there is a line between encouragement and a guilt trip, and all of us should try the first and attempt to avoid the second.

09-11-2012 09:20 AM
Pitmaster Offline

Let me get in on this thread....since the Smoke on the Snake was mentioned...in no way did I ever intend to "guilt" or "brow-beat" anyone into coming up to Idaho. I was however, hoping for more support from the Idaho teams that have seem to vanished like a fart in the wind! Yesterday T rattled off 8 teams from Idaho that have pretty much disappeared. Where are those guys? Chris- I totally understand everyone's situation is different and I respect that. We are just focusing on having the best event around and catering to the needs of the few teams that can make it and hopefully next year those teams will spread the love and others will want to come and partake. Please don't turn the encouragement of others into something it isn't. I just want to have a great event and cook some meat!! It is difficult to get people to support your event. Look at all the "encouragement" we had to support the Layton event. I'm sure we will have the same for Huntsville. That seems to be the nature of the beast. We will, however, have a well organized, wonderful event this weekend and I hope that more can attend next year. Peace!
Rob

Rob Harding
KCBS Certified Judge
http://www.pitmaster-bbq.com
rob@pitmaster-bbq.com
Smokin' on an Austin National Smoker, Brinkmann Professional COS, Man-Weber (27in) & Girl-Weber (22.5in),No Joker Smoker (Drum Smoker)
09-11-2012 10:47 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Thanks Rob!

To be honest so that there is less confusion, my brow beating and guilt trip comments were aimed a lot closer to home, and directly at R&R.

Past history doesn't need to be brought up, but I will offer chapter and verse if people choose to question that opinion... and we all know what opinions are like... everyone has one.

I was attempting to talk in generalities, so that we could all take what we could from the statement and opinions I expressed, some will see the broader picture, and some wont, that I suppose is just another choice that we make.

The line between encouraging and brow beating in a fine one, let's all try and stay on the encouraging side... if we can!

09-11-2012 11:01 AM
Phred Offline

Hmmm, interesting what competition does to some people....I'm grateful for bbq for two reasons, the good friends and the good food. Keep on smoking.

Thanks,

Phred
09-11-2012 12:40 PM
Desert Magnolia Offline

We had been planning to go to Grand Junction this last weekend, but thanks to the reach in compressor we stayed home. Being a tiny Ma and Pop for us to go the first question we have to answer is, can we afford to be closed for a weekend? If its yes then we enter and go. That simple. When we go out, we have had fun Every Time! Thank you to everyone that has one of these events.

@ 85 gallon trash cans drilled and ready for action!!
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
09-11-2012 03:40 PM
in2dfire Offline
Banned

Can't we all just get along?? Nobody is Inocent we all have our days.. I know of a person on this sight spreading rumors about me.... What a douch bag... But hey I keep going thats what I choose to do... Believe what you want to believe... I love to build and I love to cook but all this war crap needs to stop... I don't know the past and don't care
Move on... If you don't want to go don't go.. If you want to go then go... This thread seems to point fingers..... But I guess wasn't intended to... If that was so then why post it.... Choices... Choices... Choices... Not intended to offend but probably did...
09-11-2012 04:42 PM
Big Johnson's BBQ Offline
Managing Member

I seems funny to me that the folks who bring nothing to BBQ here in Utah have such a high opinion of what they think!

If you Judge Contests - Thank You! You take time out of your family life to help a contest run better!

If you compete in BBQ Contest's, in the past, currently or in the future - Thank You! Competing is expensive and we appreciate your efforts to be part of the BBQ scene here in Utah!

If your Volunteer to help run a contest, organize the judges and help in any way to put on a contest - Thank You! You provide such a valuable service and we appreciate your efforts!

If you put on, promote and host BBQ Classes - Thank You! You help is invaluable to bring new folks into the BBQ here in Utah!

If you help to run, manage, pay for and administer any of websites online to help promote BBQ in Utah - Thank you You provide much need help in that area, otherwise we would be chatting somewhere else!

All the rest of you who bring nothing to the table, who rely on the traffic the Utah BBQ site provides to promote yourself or your product for FREE - Pound Sand! Have another hit of crack or whatever else you do in the privacy of your own home! The rest of us who do add to the BBQ Community don't really care about your opinions!

Cheers!

I'll see the rest of you great BBQ folks in Idaho Falls this weekend or in Huntsville at the end of the month!

Keep it Smokin!

Pit's & Spit's 3060 - Yoder Comp BBQ Cart YS640!
KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
(Riverdale Road in Ogden)
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2012 05:50 PM by Big Johnson's BBQ.)
09-11-2012 05:47 PM
in2dfire Offline
Banned

Nice!! Coming from a governing body to make a comment like that... Think you need to reconsider who needs to pound sand.... So if you don't Judge... If you don't compete... If your not in a click your nothing?? Nice!! That is part of the problem.... Make friends get what ya need and out with the knife to stab them in the back.... You know who you are and your just as bad as the ones you talk crap about... So is it really about BBQ? Or your self interest?? Pound sand you say?? Hmmm...
09-11-2012 06:36 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

No not coming from a governing body!

All posts from the Governing body are posted under loadmin1961, all other posts are expressing personal opinions only, they are not from any other source!

09-11-2012 06:50 PM
in2dfire Offline
Banned

Where it's posted makes no difference... Who they are makes the difference.. Sorry SoEzzy it wasn't you I was referring to... Wasn't T either I have nothing but respect for that man... Unlike what the rumors say...
09-11-2012 10:35 PM
Member closed account! Offline
Eating Enthusiast

It's wrong to post stuff like this, things don't get resolved. Man up! If you have an issue with someone, take it to them. Talk about it, work things out, come to an understandiing, thats what adults do. Life's way to short to harbor resentments and hurt feelings. We are way too small of a community to be feuding like school kids. Something to think about when posting stuff are; is it kind, is it true, is it necessary. This thread is about unnessary as I've ever read. If you have an axe to grind, then get it ground, face to face. But something to rember is; if you want respect give respect, if you want tolerance be tolerant, if you want forgiveness then be forgiving, if you want honor then be honorable.
09-11-2012 10:57 PM
in2dfire Offline
Banned

(09-11-2012 10:57 PM)MEAT MAN Wrote:  It's wrong to post stuff like this, things don't get resolved. Man up! If you have an issue with someone, take it to them. Talk about it, work things out, come to an understandiing, thats what adults do. Life's way to short to harbor resentments and hurt feelings. We are way too small of a community to be feuding like school kids. Something to think about when posting stuff are; is it kind, is it true, is it necessary. This thread is about unnessary as I've ever read. If you have an axe to grind, then get it ground, face to face. But something to rember is; if you want respect give respect, if you want tolerance be tolerant, if you want forgiveness then be forgiving, if you want honor then be honorable.
Tru Dat!!
09-11-2012 11:19 PM
Pigout Offline

(09-11-2012 10:57 PM)MEAT MAN Wrote:  It's wrong to post stuff like this, things don't get resolved. Man up! If you have an issue with someone, take it to them. Talk about it, work things out, come to an understandiing, thats what adults do. Life's way to short to harbor resentments and hurt feelings. We are way too small of a community to be feuding like school kids. Something to think about when posting stuff are; is it kind, is it true, is it necessary. This thread is about unnessary as I've ever read. If you have an axe to grind, then get it ground, face to face. But something to rember is; if you want respect give respect, if you want tolerance be tolerant, if you want forgiveness then be forgiving, if you want honor then be honorable.

If somehow this doesn't come to some type of conclusion, these things will continue to feaster, build to another head again another day and bury the future of Utah BBQ in this state over and over again in a never ending saga. It really sucks when your a new guy coming into this mess...looking over your shoulder to see if your talking to the "right" guy or if you've somehow been mistakenly been seen as a side taker in this "BBQ War." I have made friends on both sides of "the fence" but I have taken a stance in this drama not commit to either side, showing my grey color. I'm the kind of guy that enjoys people in general and won't hate another regardless of what I hear, until I've been wronged by them. This is not my war and not my problem, but I hope that these things now out in the open get buried today.

"BBQ so good it's time to Pigout"
09-12-2012 06:14 AM
Three4Que Offline

Like it was said earlier, "everyone has opinions and are entitled to them", or something like that.

It isn't just the Utah BBQ org that has problems either perceived or actual, at least two other BBQ organizations I know of have problems too.

Thanks for the post Jesse, I agree with it as in the past I've been a helper, cook, competitor, and judge at some competitions. I will continue to do so regardless of hurt feelings, failings on my part or someone elses part, communication problem, he said/she said or whatever.

I've learned a lot from several of you and have even helped a few myself. I enjoy BBQ, wheter it is Utah, AZ, ID, WY or wherever. I've been a member of this site a few years now and have seen many of the problems aluded to. To quote Rafike(sp) from Lion King, "Don't worry, it's in the past!"

Meat Man say's, "Man up! If you have an issue with someone, take it to them. Talk about it, work things out, come to an understandiing, thats what adults do. Life's way to short to harbor resentments and hurt feelings." I say, "Hear, hear!!!

Now, let's get back to Que and talk about Que! Let that be your passion and leave the other stuff at the door!!!

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
09-12-2012 06:40 AM
vbtjvt Offline
Banned

Wow, I am now glad I have made the choice to never compete. I won't add my opinion here because as pointed out very clearly My opinion doesn't matter. Last year I thought I Had found a cool group of fellow BBQ peeps and became a paid member. (stupid me) Now I would like my membership deleted. Thanks for the rotten taste I have in my mouth now when it comes to BBQ in Utah.
09-12-2012 08:32 PM