Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Experienced comp taste testers wanted...
rock-wit'chu bbq Offline

Experienced comp taste testers wanted...
Who would be willing to help a newbie out and come do a taste test/critique my que? Prefferably someone who is acomplished and has one a few Grand Champions from some of the comps here in Utah.
I'm a newbie w/the intention of working on my que through the winter/taking some classes when available, then competing in as many "backyard class" comps next year. This wouldn't be right away but I'd like to "get-together" sometime between after Thanksgiving but before Christmas. I live in Payson... I'd be willing to help out w/gas money or if needed meet someone someplace if needed... thanks!
T... if you're out there I'd be interested in talking to you sir! I know you are accomplished as well and have lots of experience... thanks!

WSM-18 inch, Chargriller Akorn Kamado
11-15-2012 10:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

RE: Experienced comp taste testers wanted...
The best judges are not necessarily the best cooks and the best cooks are not necessarily the best judges. We encourage cooks to become KCBS certified judges, if for no other reason, than to see what the judges have been taught to score on. We also encourage judges to spend time interning on a team to see what they have to go through to create a good turn in box. Some judges are just way to hard in judging and penalize just on a personal taste preference. Too many see the opportunity as a free lunch, bringing up or down the score, penalizing or rewarding teams that deserve honesty.
I guess what I'm saying is winning GC twice in Utah really says your did well and got the judges you needed, however, run that same contest again with the same food, same judges and the odds slim teams would finish in the same order. That's why coaches don't play and players don't coach. Good luck with your develloping skills. BBQ, it's not just for breakfast anymore.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
11-15-2012 12:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bud-wie-ser Offline

I live in Payson also, and am a certified BBQ judge.

Send me a PM and we can get together sometime.

Bud
Sugaz and Spice BBQ
----------------------------------------------
Custom Drum Smoker
UDS
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
11-15-2012 01:16 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

rock-wit'chu bbq I'd take Bud up on his offer, he judges when he can, and I'd certainly trust his taste buds to offer a realistic opinion of your food... besides that, he's a nice guy to get to know and lives closer than anyone else I could name off the top of my head! Wink

Bud... if the food's no good it's not my fault, I just did what I could to get you the gig! Tongue

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
11-15-2012 02:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NDG Offline
Managing Member

I am more than happy to help out any way I can. I am a CBJ and compete. I have not won a GC or even RGC..................But I know a thing or two.....

David Grover
Smoking on the "Yellow Submarine"
Peace Heart BBQ

Utah BBQ Managing Member / Certified KCBS Judge
11-15-2012 03:56 PM
fidel_astorga Offline
Managing Member

WELL PUT LARRY!!!

(11-15-2012 12:21 PM)Larry Jacobs Wrote:  The best judges are not necessarily the best cooks and the best cooks are not necessarily the best judges. We encourage cooks to become KCBS certified judges, if for no other reason, than to see what the judges have been taught to score on. We also encourage judges to spend time interning on a team to see what they have to go through to create a good turn in box. Some judges are just way to hard in judging and penalize just on a personal taste preference. Too many see the opportunity as a free lunch, bringing up or down the score, penalizing or rewarding teams that deserve honesty.
I guess what I'm saying is winning GC twice in Utah really says your did well and got the judges you needed, however, run that same contest again with the same food, same judges and the odds slim teams would finish in the same order. That's why coaches don't play and players don't coach. Good luck with your develloping skills. BBQ, it's not just for breakfast anymore.

CHICKEN BUTT BBQ UTAH
Lucy Lang 60" DLX Long Neck 40" Char Grill
KCBS Certified Judge
KCBS Certified Table Captain
UTAH BBQ Org Certified Judge
fidel@utahbbq.org
"Powered by Maxwell" Angel
11-16-2012 09:08 AM
elkski Offline

I think I understand what it takes to turn in a box.. I have not done it since my first contest a solo effort at the FW&Ice where I met my two goals!
Turn in all 4 meats on time, And not score last! Thanks Carla--- thank goodness her chicken caught on fire... And I thought I smoked a mean chicken!!
I have judged about 8 or 9 comps. I did live in taxes for almost 10 years and I think I make a good judge?

Team "Smoke-n-mirrors" its all in the beers.
Life is like the smell of smoking pork. stay in the downdraft and follow the sweet smell., enjoy each bite.
KCBS #9231
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2012 03:43 PM by elkski.)
11-16-2012 03:41 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

(11-16-2012 03:41 PM)elkski Wrote:  I did live in taxes for almost 10 years and I think I make a good judge?

I'm still living in taxes, but I think you meant Texas, Wink getting the vowels in the right order makes quiet, (intentional spelling error), a difference!

Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
11-16-2012 03:49 PM
Razcals Ribs Offline

(11-16-2012 03:41 PM)elkski Wrote:  I think I understand what it takes to turn in a box.. I have not done it since my first contest a solo effort at the FW&Ice where I met my two goals!
Turn in all 4 meats on time, And not score last! Thanks Carla--- thank goodness her chicken caught on fire... And I thought I smoked a mean chicken!!
I have judged about 8 or 9 comps. I did live in taxes for almost 10 years and I think I make a good judge?

I lived in Oklahoma for 13 years that doesn't mean I know how to judge BBQ.

if it moves salute it,if it don't paint it, if it is dead BBQ itCool
3 UDS
1 Nat Off Set Smoker
11-16-2012 04:34 PM
elkski Offline

(11-16-2012 04:34 PM)copytech0 Wrote:  
(11-16-2012 03:41 PM)elkski Wrote:  I think I understand what it takes to turn in a box.. I have not done it since my first contest a solo effort at the FW&Ice where I met my two goals!

I lived in Oklahoma for 13 years that doesn't mean I know how to judge BBQ. I do think my scores are fair and rep what it would take to win...

Well of course not! okies dont know how to que... yes I meant Texas...
I have a regional set of taste buds born in Denver and then Texas. I also asked for a smoker at 14 to smoke trout.. So I like smoked meat to taste like smoke...

Team "Smoke-n-mirrors" its all in the beers.
Life is like the smell of smoking pork. stay in the downdraft and follow the sweet smell., enjoy each bite.
KCBS #9231
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2012 07:52 PM by elkski.)
11-16-2012 07:51 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Well I never been to heaven
But I been to Oklahoma
Well they tell me I was born there
But I really don't remember
In Oklahoma, not Arizona
What does it matter
What does it matter

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
11-16-2012 10:44 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Well I've been to England
But I kinda liked the Beatles
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles
Can you feel it
It must be real it
Feels so good
Oh, feels so good

11-17-2012 12:35 AM
Razcals Ribs Offline

(11-16-2012 07:51 PM)elkski Wrote:  
(11-16-2012 04:34 PM)copytech0 Wrote:  

I lived in Oklahoma for 13 years that doesn't mean I know how to judge BBQ. I do think my scores are fair and rep what it would take to win...

Well of course not! okies dont know how to que... yes I meant Texas...
I have a regional set of taste buds born in Denver and then Texas. I also asked for a smoker at 14 to smoke trout.. So I like smoked meat to taste like smoke...

But I did Grow up in the south east Virginia and WE KNOW BBQ There not like Texas, Oklahoma Has Better BBQ Just Like Football More Better than Texas

if it moves salute it,if it don't paint it, if it is dead BBQ itCool
3 UDS
1 Nat Off Set Smoker
11-17-2012 05:35 AM
rock-wit'chu bbq Offline

You guys are hilarious! At least you all believe in having fun... that's a good thing!

WSM-18 inch, Chargriller Akorn Kamado
11-18-2012 10:27 PM