Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Competition
GOATTER Offline
Aspiring BBQ Pitmaster

Competition
I have posted pictures of my smoker on this sight before. The problem that I have is that the think is huge. It's about 7 feet tall 4 feet wide,30 inches deep, and weighs in the neighborhood of 2000 pounds. This is great for most things except transporting.

I'm trying to decide what my options are for competitions. SHould I build a smaller version that I can haul around that is under 1000 pounds. Or should I build a trailer to place my current smoker on.

If I decided to build a smaller version I need to figure out the size. What meats, quantities are usually cooked at a competion? Do these numbers change from event to event?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.
Jeremy
12-04-2012 07:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

RE: Competition
Since turn in always stays the same (minimum of six portions of ribs, chicken, brisket, pork) it's not required to cook a lot of meat. Some do just so they will have a larger pool to choose from. Most cook:
3) racks of ribs, mainly because they commonly come in a three pack
2) pork butts, same reason but one will do
12) Chicken thighs, again that's how they come but chicken parts very in size so 12 gives you a chance to find 6 look-likes.
1) Brisket, most cook whole but some just cook flats.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
12-04-2012 09:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bwinther Offline
Managing Member

Jeremy

I can't help you on size of the smoker to make as I cook my comps on WSM's (2) and barrels (2).

Most team usually cook between 10 and 20 pieces of chicken, 3 -4 racks of ribs, 2 pork butts, and 2 briskets for a competition. At most competitions these are the 4 meats that are required to compete for the grand champion. You need to turn in 6 servings of meat in each category (6 chicken pieces mostly thighs or legs, 6 rib bones, 6 servings of pork either pulled, chunked, slices or combos of each, and 6 servings of brisket).

Maybe other will be able to help with dimensions and such.

Brian

Jeez Larry...you are too fast for me.

Brian

HQO
Gotta have it
2013 Utah's Representative to the Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational BBQ Competition
KCBS Certified Judge
Managing Member
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 09:53 AM by bwinther.)
12-04-2012 09:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

There are some teams that cook light amounts,

1 pack of Chicken thighs (12 - 17 thighs).
1 pack of Ribs (1 - 3 racks dependent on rib type)
1 pack of Butts (1 - 2)
1 pack of Brisket (1)

For space, you can fit all these onto two 85 gallon drums or three 55 gallon drums, with 2 levels on the 85 gallon drums and 1 level on each of the 55 gallon drums.

If you look at pits like the Vault or Safe by Pitmakers, or the Baby Black from Backyard Cookers, you can make a small double walled insulated pits with gravity flow feed charcoal chutes, and the internal measurements will be somewhere around 24" x 24" x 24" and you can cook all your meats on something that size.

Of course there are other cooks that have bigger finances available, that cook larger amounts of meat, if buying the meat is no problem, I've seen up to 4 times the meat listed cooked by richer teams.

Most local contests in the west are either PNWBA, CABBQ, KCBS, IBCA, UtahBBQ, contests and generally don't cook whole hog, but if you are planing on cooking MIM, you may need a pit with enough capacity to cook a whole hog.

If you like the style of your cooker, you might trailer it as is to competitions, just make sure you build the trailer with strong enough axles and springs, as I've seen a few that didn't make it to more than a contest or two due to snapped axles or burst tires.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-04-2012 02:03 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

That is a great smoker. If it were mine I would secure it to flat bed trailer with one of those stainless steel tables they carry at Costco next to it. You could make a kitchen with cover.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
12-04-2012 02:12 PM
GOATTER Offline
Aspiring BBQ Pitmaster

Thanks everyone for your help..

My next question is on all these meats that are cooked. Do all of them need to be turned in at the same time for all of the categories?
12-04-2012 07:47 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

They are all on separate turn in times.

On KCBS the turn ins start with Chicken at 12:00, Ribs at 12:30, pork at 1:00 and Brisket at 1:30.

Utah BBQ, IBCA have 1 hour separated by an hour, starting for Chicken at 11:00.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-04-2012 07:56 PM