Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
new here.
Pellet Hog Offline

new here.
Just wanted to introduce myself.
My name is Joe and I am from North Orem. I have been using a Traeger Pellet smoker for the last yr or so and have really enjoyed it. I have made a few upgrades to it and it has worked out swell for my needs.
I see there is some others that have one as well, so I guess I won't get cornered and beat up by the stick burners!
Been trying to look over the site and figure out the rules so I don't get on the bad side right from the start.
A few things I have been wanting to do is join a group for comps. not not sure what everyone expects. I have never really had experience at something like that so I am looking for input on what is needed there.
I have always enjoyed outdoor cooking but it has been on my own and at my own pace. So it seems that joining a team would be a whole new world for me and something that sounds like fun. Let alone all the things I could learn from everyone. I know its the slow time since its winter approaching, maybe that's why I have time to post here.
Been trying to find the rules for posting a few extra things I have around from upgrades and so forth but I'm not sure what the rules there are.

So happy smoking and I'll check back often. I'll try to post a picture or two of some of the cooks that I do!
12-11-2012 06:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

RE: new here.
Welcome to the forum Joe. The best way to learn is get involved. Go to our events and talk with the guys. We host all kinds of events including competitions, BBQ classes, judging classes, fundraisers and benefit cooks. We have a great bunch of guys here and we love helping new cooks.

Welcome again and you may now go to your corner and await your beating from us stick burners! Tongue

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
12-11-2012 07:05 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Welcome. The water here is great so jump right in. The Backyard contest category as built just for start-ups like you. I have had about 8 Traeger pellet cookers so you're in good company, in fact, if you check out my profile picture, that's #1 of two COM200s I've owned. I keep a Traeger Junior for camping out and burn pellets at home in a Cookshack FEC100. By the way, the pellets they carry at Home Depot are great.
The rules very according to the contest but generally backyard division just cooks ribs and chicken and the turn in times are after the pros so it's possible to show up Saturday morning and compete without cooking all night.
Here's a picture of my first BBQ trailer I built for events. That's three traeger 075s with a Honda EU-2000i generator running them for cook enroute mode.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
12-11-2012 09:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Traegers are stick burners also, mini stick burners.
I believe Cyclops gave us that one.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
12-12-2012 04:39 AM
Razcals Ribs Offline

welcome Pellet Hogg

if it moves salute it,if it don't paint it, if it is dead BBQ itCool
3 UDS
1 Nat Off Set Smoker
12-12-2012 06:48 PM
Pigout Offline

Welcome Joe! Chime in anytime, theres all sorts of cool information and knowledge here. Have fun and cook! Smile

"BBQ so good it's time to Pigout"
12-12-2012 08:05 PM
Pellet Hog Offline

(12-12-2012 04:39 AM)Gene Wrote:  Traegers are stick burners also, mini stick burners.
I believe Cyclops gave us that one.

Thanks for the welcome everybody!
I like this quote and will need to remember it!
I'll be pretty busy till the first of the year so I'll chime in more then hopefully with some good things. So I'm looking forward to reading more on here and getting to know some of you.
I'll try to contribute what little a rookie can, mainly I'm really good at just occupying space but I'm willing to learn!!Cool
12-15-2012 03:00 PM
fidel_astorga Offline
Managing Member

Welcome Pellet Hog (Joe)
There are a bunch of great guys here on this site. They are always willing to help and don't be afraid to ask questions. I am also new to the bbq comp world and I love it. However work gets in the way so I don't compete as much as I would like to. I live in Lehi and smoke all year long. Who knows maybe we can hook up sometime. It gets cold from time to time here in Utah but the food is worth it. There is a great bbq store in Orem called bbq pit stop you should swing by and check it out.

CHICKEN BUTT BBQ UTAH
Lucy Lang 60" DLX Long Neck 40" Char Grill
KCBS Certified Judge
KCBS Certified Table Captain
UTAH BBQ Org Certified Judge
fidel@utahbbq.org
"Powered by Maxwell" Angel
12-18-2012 08:44 AM