Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cooking pork butts how long to cook?
elkski Offline

Cooking pork butts how long to cook?
Ok so I slept in and didn't put my pork butts on till 7:30 am. I am going to hold 275-300 if I can?? It seems ok at the 1.5 hr mark. 18 degrees out... No wind but I have the WSM enclosed in the wind screens to keep the surrounding temps up.
I plan to smoke for 5 hours or so and then foil and finish. The two butts are on the top rack.

Any ideas on if I will make a 6:30 dinner time?
I have never tried to cook at this high of temps.
Any advise would be appreciated.

elkski

Team "Smoke-n-mirrors" its all in the beers.
Life is like the smell of smoking pork. stay in the downdraft and follow the sweet smell., enjoy each bite.
KCBS #9231
12-29-2012 09:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
elkski Offline

RE: Cooking pork butts how long to cook?
How hard is it to get a temp probe that works..??
I might have found out why my last cooks took like 16 hrs.
It is not an easy puzzle to figure out when you have the ique 110 set point to go by????
I might have starved my smoker for O2 (perhaps the Ique was sucking in CO?.
Brand new maverick 732 reading 25 degrees lower on the rack than a thermopen stuck in the top?? I use the TP as my gold standard...
then I had a brand new thermoworks 362 stuck in the top vent hole.. not touching meat and it is reading 40 degrees lower than the TP in the same area??
Good news is I hear piggy juices dripping onto my foil on top of the sand pan.
I am cooking hotter than ever before so I might make it...
This is my 3rd cook using my Ique...

Life is like the smell of smoking pork. stay in the downdraft and follow the sweet smell., enjoy each bite.
KCBS #9231
12-29-2012 11:57 AM
elkski Offline

Well I seem to be well along.. meat temp over 170 at 1pm... Going to go foil them now..

KCBS #9231
12-29-2012 01:52 PM
Curtis Nations Offline
Managing Member

I like to cook at 300 and I'm usually 5 to 6 hours on a butt. Good luck.
12-29-2012 02:53 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

(12-29-2012 09:52 AM)elkski Wrote:  Ok so I slept in and didn't put my pork butts on till 7:30 am. I am going to hold 275-300 if I can?? It seems ok at the 1.5 hr mark. 18 degrees out..

That happens every now and then! You'll be able to catch up over the next couple of hours.

Quote:No wind but I have the WSM enclosed in the wind screens to keep the surrounding temps up.
I plan to smoke for 5 hours or so and then foil and finish. The two butts are on the top rack.

That's the way I do to keep the wind out.
5 hours of smoke is a good start.

Quote:Any ideas on if I will make a 6:30 dinner time?
I have never tried to cook at this high of temps.
Any advise would be appreciated.

Yes you will make 6:30 dinner, run them up to 160 foil them and leave them alone, it will get there.

(12-29-2012 11:57 AM)elkski Wrote:  How hard is it to get a temp probe that works..??
I might have found out why my last cooks took like 16 hrs.

That's why I don't like all those newfangled electronic gizmo's!

Quote:It is not an easy puzzle to figure out when you have the ique 110 set point to go by????
I might have starved my smoker for O2 (perhaps the Ique was sucking in CO?.
Brand new maverick 732 reading 25 degrees lower on the rack than a thermopen stuck in the top?? I use the TP as my gold standard...
then I had a brand new thermoworks 362 stuck in the top vent hole.. not touching meat and it is reading 40 degrees lower than the TP in the same area?

See them newfangled electric gizmo thingies are not trust worthy!

Quote:Good news is I hear piggy juices dripping onto my foil on top of the sand pan.
I am cooking hotter than ever before so I might make it...
This is my 3rd cook using my Ique...

You can cook anywhere up to 325° and still be on the lower side, I always think 350° and above is getting onto hot and fast.

(12-29-2012 01:52 PM)elkski Wrote:  Well I seem to be well along.. meat temp over 170 at 1pm... Going to go foil them now..

See now you are through the stall you are going to be going up to temperature in the next hour and a half or so!

Stay with it, it wont take long!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-29-2012 03:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
elkski Offline

yes soezzy your right. yes I was surprised I was past the stall in the 170's so soon... and I cant believe how the meat temp is jumping up since foiling!.
Foiled at 1:06 meat at 170 using thermapen....TP
1:35 172 using maverick in the meat
1:49 181 " " this is hard to believe? wondering if steam action??
2:11 doubting so I lifted the lid to use the TP and 186?? wow
I will make it by 2:30 or 3 or so for a 7-7.5 hr cook..

I do still have concern on my temp probes on the maverick. THe ique110 and me are learning each other.. I tried to calibrate my maverick and my TP at noon. using hot water... they were close at 150 the TP got ahead of the maverick by up to 6 degrees as I was bringing the water to a boil... strong boil is 204 for TP and 202 for MAverick but It appears at 280 or so the MAverick drops 27 degrees below the TP .
How to test that as TP cant go in the oven?
What this means is I was cooking for the first hour 2 hours at 307 to 327 degrees and I wanted more like 275 to smoke it better..
then it was cooking at 290 for long time and now up to 305ish..
I do like this hot and fast and starting it in the morning over starting it at 11pm and doing overnight..

KCBS #9231
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2012 03:25 PM by elkski.)
12-29-2012 03:23 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

The WSM can run either way, lower and slower 225° - 250° warmer and quicker 300° - 325° or hotter and faster 350° and up!

If cooking overnight I like to run them down in the 250° range +- 10° with water in the pan, it will run a happy 5 - 6 hours, running above 325°, I like to pay more attention just in case it starts to run away from you.

Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
12-29-2012 03:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
elkski Offline

Took it off at about 200 3pm...
Yes I have had my WSM run away on me.. Seems to have happened more on cold nights like last night pre temp controller days... I figured the cold air density set up a chimney effect?? This would occur in the first 3 hours..
I have never been able to maintain over or near 350 with the water pan...I have felt lucky to hit 250-260 for even a short time and it seemed to settle more like 225-235 with a water pan..
I still have plenty of coals for another hour or two at full steam.. on my 225 overnight cooks I had to add more at 6-8 hours. Best method was just to start a new minion method in a different WSM and transfer the tops over.
This time I put my lit chimney on the far side away from where the Ique blows in. I think this worked much better than last time when I started it near the air inlet... I did use my WSM air duct to take the air down below the grate and a couple more inches towards the center and aiming at the center.
I need to do the thermometer mods to my WSM? so I dont have to run the wires down into the lid vent holes.. Not sure the best way but I am all ears on that...
overall I am happy with things other than my temp probe temp differences and that I smoked it to hot for the first bit. But how can you mess up a pork butt. by the way I used hickory and one chunk of mesquite..

KCBS #9231
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2012 04:25 PM by elkski.)
12-29-2012 04:24 PM
elkski Offline

I will say I have never tried to run my WSM vents much over half open so maybe I just have no experience trying to find the two upper heat zones it cooks at...do you say there are 3 distinct temp ranges it will run at... and not between??

KCBS #9231
12-29-2012 04:45 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

You can run them anywhere from 200° to 400° but you set them up differently depending on where you want to cook.

200° - 275° you can run a full pan of water, 275° - 325° you can use either plant plates or washed sand, above 325° I use a foiled empty pan.

I foil the water pan no matter which I'm going to do, I have terracotta plant plates, (I think they are #14's), they are foiled and I use 2 in the water pan for medium heat cooking, the foiled pan on it's own is for high heat cooking, I don't cook in the WSM without the water pan as a heat diffuser.

The other difference is in how much heat you build up at the beginning of the cook. I prepare for all three styles of cook minion method in the charcoal ring. But for low and slow I start to control the heat at 200°, 225° and 240° and it will settle in at 250°, if I'm aiming for 300° then I start controlling at 260° - 275° and 290° and it will settle around 300, if I'm going full bore I won't start controlling until 350° and you will still have some adjustment left on one of your bottom vents, between 66% ash 100% open.

You can run and cook through the whole range, but try catching on the way up instead of fighting to get it back down to temperature.

12-29-2012 06:22 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

I put food in pellet cooker, push button. Take nap.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
12-29-2012 07:21 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

You forgot the important part Larry, as it is, it just wont work.

Put food in pellet cooker, plug in pellet cooker to the electrical socket or extension cable, check pellet hopper, (if full enough), push button. Take nap!

12-29-2012 10:18 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

OK Chris. Spoil the dream. But your right, make that: Remind wife to plug in pellet cooker, THEN take nap.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
12-30-2012 12:34 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

LOLWL!

Laugh Out Loud With Larry! Wink

12-30-2012 01:27 AM
elkski Offline

I cant explain my aversion to Pellet cookers. Maybe its my love of FIRE!

Anyway the pork had a deep smoke ring and tastes great without adding any spices after pulling. two 7.5# butts probably cut off near a ! in the fat cap each.. Total yield 6.5 # of pork. Yes I weighed it as I vacuum bagged it.

KCBS #9231
12-30-2012 10:58 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

My two Traegers are always plugged in, ready to go at a moments notice. Pellet check is just a few seconds, filling hopper just a few moments more if needed.
Take nap, go to work, what ever time of day it is. They just cruise along at 225* til I shut 'em down.
Ah, technology........
Happy New Year guys and gals. 1 hour 56 minutes from now for us.
I'll be asleep. Smile

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
12-31-2012 07:06 AM