Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
48 years of BBQ
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

48 years of BBQ

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
02-06-2013 05:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Razcals Ribs Offline

RE: 48 years of BBQ
nice Story thanks Chris

if it moves salute it,if it don't paint it, if it is dead BBQ itCool
3 UDS
1 Nat Off Set Smoker
02-06-2013 07:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stewartr002 Offline

Thanks for sharing Chris.
Randy

Randy Stewart
"Utah BBQ Org., Florida BBQ Asoc., & KCBS Certified Judge"
Green Mountain Grill Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker
Smoke On!
02-08-2013 12:08 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

When I was living in North Little Rock 5 days a week back in the 80s we would make the 125 mile drive up to Memphis every Friday. The day always started off with lunch at Rendezvous. I remember this dude mainly because he was always so happy and made a point to talk about trains. He told me that Charles Vergos came up with the idea of cooking ribs at 850 degrees because he only had a small oven and he had to get them in and out fast. To get them tender he would pour the pickle juice left over in empty pickle jars over the ribs. The exhaust system they have is a work of art. With the ovens under the street they have big extraction fans shooting the smoke clear to the top of the Peabody hotel and beyond. The rub on the ribs is piled on thick then the high temps cause it to glaze and become like a crust.
While their ribs may not be considered BBQ like we know it, they have to be tried at least once in your life.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
02-08-2013 01:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

So you worked Sunday through Thursday?

Or was that 5th day sort of a short one, start at 9:55 quit at 10:00?

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
02-08-2013 01:12 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

I flew in Monday morning on the red eye and had Friday to staff meet and fly out at 10PM. The meeting between the four of us started in the car, continued at lunch, while cat-fishing, dinner at another BBQ joint and ended on the way to the airport. We were working on problems of merging the Union Pacific and Missouri Pacific Railroads.
Pretty much learned that if you don't specify when ordering food.....what ever you ordered will come out deep fried. Including corn on the cob!

Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
02-08-2013 09:52 AM
Desert Magnolia Offline

We used to go there if Grandpa was in the mood other wise my Aunts would want to go to Corkies cause it was closer. The same guys have been there for ever and most of the younger servers are either son's or friends of sons of the them.

@ 85 gallon trash cans drilled and ready for action!!
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
02-08-2013 10:45 AM
tex-mex Offline

(02-08-2013 09:52 AM)Larry Jacobs Wrote:  I flew in Monday morning on the red eye and had Friday to staff meet and fly out at 10PM. The meeting between the four of us started in the car, continued at lunch, while cat-fishing, dinner at another BBQ joint and ended on the way to the airport. We were working on problems of merging the Union Pacific and Missouri Pacific Railroads.
Pretty much learned that if you don't specify when ordering food.....what ever you ordered will come out deep fried. Including corn on the cob!

Did not know you were a R R man , my dad worked for M P for 43 years in south Texas an Houston .......
02-08-2013 09:31 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Spent a lot of time in Houston with MP and KATY. Built a safety program at Palestine car dept.

Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
02-09-2013 02:39 AM