Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Didn't know that my restaurant got shut down!
T Offline
Posting Freak

Didn't know that I got shut down!
Well, I think it's about time to set a few things straight. First off my restaurant didn't get closed down because it was nasty, greasy, dirty and stunk! This is the lie that a certain person is spreading about me and Becci. It is a direct attack on me and my family. You will be able to read between the lines in a few and figure out who it is and most of you already know how chicken they are! The truth of the matter is that this lie has poisoned friends of mine and Becci with this B.S. information.

There are two sides to every story and then there's the truth. Not that it is anyone's business but as most of you know, 5400 South was going through a road widening project for awhile due to the Mountain View Corridor highway. We were approached by the owners to see if we were interested in buying the property. The owner's daughter has M S and they wanted to sell. With the widening of the road, we would have lost 30 ft off the front of the building, which meant instead of the North entrance, we would have had to make it a West entrance. By no means did I have kind of money. Along with the economy being like it was, we decided to go.

If you go by the restaurant, you will see that the new occupants have a West entrance. Now if my restaurant was so nasty, dirty, greasy and stunk why would Governor John Huntsman choose to come to my place and you know his agents check it all out before he arrives. Mayor Wall, T.V personalities, pro ball players, and by the way, we catered for the Dallas Mavericks whenever they came to town. I have hosted BBQ Association functions and everyone that attended can tell you that they had the run of the restaurant. We had 41 students attend a cooking class and they went in and out of the restaurant through the kitchen and customers often entered that way.

Certainly, if it was true that the kitchen was as described, doesn't this sound like a personal attack on me and my wife? Yes I'm pissed for a lot of reasons. The continual attacks on me and fellow BBQ brothers. Let them tell it and "It's only BBQ, get over it".

Funny that the same restaurant that "so called" got shut down, was ranked in the top ten BBQ restaurants in the U.S., in Sunset Magazine twice, once for Best in the West, the other for "The BBQ Hall of Flame". We were voted the best American Food Restaurant in the state of Utah, numerous Salt Lake Magazine dining awards and the list goes on and on!

Like it was mentioned to me and I quote, "It sounds like a jealousy thing from a person that is planning on opening their own BBQ restaurant soon. Let's see them take their restaurant to the level that you did." I will welcome the chance to see how this venture pans out. How many accolades they receive on their legacy journey?

A restaurant is a far cry from cooking the four meats that someone has taught you to cook. Getting away from the four meats that you dominated Utah with, we will soon see how you fair. I know there are some that will not agree with this post and that's your right, but ask yourself this, how would you like it if you were in my place?

There are more than a few ready to step up and say to his face, that he told them we had lost the restaurant because it was dirty, greasy and stunk. Tell them "it's only BBQ and get over it". Lying to people about other people is not a good recipe for success. My wife and I, having been in the business for years, know that you have to gain respect, trust and loyalty with employees and most of all, have customers like you as an individual. It's going to be a tough uphill battle because you never know who you're going to be talking to!

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
02-20-2013 09:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

RE: Didn't know that my restaurant got shut down!
This is like crazy. I was well aware of the new highway from planning meetings I attended. I also was aware of the building situation T was up against and there's no way that a person could make a food establishment thrive with the bank loan payment that would have to be met every month. The business that bought the building has a ton of out of state money to renovate it and even with the high profit margin they enjoy, it will take years to recover their investment.
Even one of Utah's oldest businesses, Ortega's Hair Styling (next door) had to close and be bulldozed. Ed Ortega was a fixture in this community and even he couldn't save his business from the bulldozer.

These are strange times we are living in and even with my business my wife and I have operated for 35 years, we wonder if the economy will let us stay open for another year.

As for what I want to do when I grow up....I want to be the owner/operator of a BBQ Truck.(:

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
02-20-2013 10:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Curtis Nations Online
Managing Member

T I was lucky to visit your place more than once. My family and I enjoyed each visit, one of those visits was to help me with my brisket. Not many people would bring someone into there kitchen, stay up all night to help that person that they would be competing against. The kitchen was always spotless, and I was very grateful for the help.
02-21-2013 08:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Three4Que Offline

T sorry to hear you and Becci had to close down due to the economy, construction and all. My brother in law Kevin who works for Taylor Freeze had told me about it, as he enjoyed working and talking with you.

I remember the couple of times I ate there, it would have been more often but I don't get down there very often, and they were great! I remember too the time you invited me to go to Walmart with you and you picked up the chicken quarters. When we returned to the restaraunt you showed me how to cut the chicken for competitions then turned me loose on the second bag. I didn't see any grease, dirt or smell that would have caused any concern.

You're still tops in my book!!!!!

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
02-21-2013 09:06 AM
Desert Magnolia Offline

I would think there is two ways to look at this.
1. Karma is a vindictive winch that will in good time, when least expected, tear them a good one, or
2. its slander of your business and could be handled as such.

@ 85 gallon trash cans drilled and ready for action!!
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
02-21-2013 09:13 AM
Desert Magnolia Offline

And T is rite. A restaurant is nothing like cooking 4 meats, serving them and going home. I have been doing this going on 18 years (dam that just made me feel old). Working in BBQ and fine dinning both, a culinary arts degree from Western Culinary, and B.A. form Auburn (that's War Eagle for you Bama fans) Do I have all the answers, hell no. I do however know that there is no way to run any food place when you have a $100k loan over your head. We passed up a place in Ogden 2 weeks ago for the same kinda thing. I'm not going to rewire a 75 year old building and do HAZMAT clean up with out a $1k a month loan payment for the next 2 years.

Power on and stay positive, you will be here long after naysayers!

@ 85 gallon trash cans drilled and ready for action!!
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
02-21-2013 02:59 PM
OCPP2007 Offline

Sorry T, I had no idea you had been driven out of your establishment... You and Becci had talked highly about the business and invited me to partake in your cooking skills, if I visited the area...

I am so sorry to have missed the open invitation...

More opportunity are on their way to both of you...

Compete in Craig this year and I will treat you two to dinner, my turn...

Tell Becci "Hi"...

KCBS Contest Representative
KCBS Master Certified Barbeque Judge
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Member #23009
RMBBQA Member #65
bill.maes@gmail.com
(720) 624-9367
Denver, Colorado
02-21-2013 05:58 PM
Grandpa Jon Offline

Well, the Sam's Club National is less than 2 weeks away, and I must say there are going to be some teams/individuals who are more motiviated than ever to "exorcise" those particular pontificating wind bags.

Thought of the day: "For the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish". Psalms 1:6

OU8SomeQ2.... Big Grin
03-26-2013 11:07 AM
Big Johnson's BBQ Offline
Managing Member

Nice Jon...!

Pit's & Spit's 3060 - Yoder Comp BBQ Cart YS640!
KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
(Riverdale Road in Ogden)
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
03-26-2013 01:50 PM
crashpilot
Unregistered

(03-26-2013 11:07 AM)Grandpa Jon Wrote:  Well, the Sam's Club National is less than 2 weeks away, and I must say there are going to be some teams/individuals who are more motiviated than ever to "exorcise" those particular pontificating wind bags.

Thought of the day: "For the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish". Psalms 1:6

How did you finish this weekend??
04-08-2013 09:32 AM
Quote this message in a reply
NDG Offline
Managing Member

Guppa D's BBQ, I find it's not so much about how you finish as much as it is about, did you have fun? Did you help someone? Did you do your best? If you had fun, that in its self is a sound investment, if you helped someone better them self and learn, you have paid it forward, and if you did your best you are a winner!!!!! I don't have it sitting in front of me, but I do know that Grandpa Jon finished higher than he did last year. I may be stupid, but I will continue to dump $$$ into entry fee's and meat just to go have fun with no real intention of doing anything better than my best, and I will be that guy who if you need it will lend you a hand loading, unloading, or what ever, I will drop it all and put myself behind just to help you succeed because that is what life is about.........Helping other.

David Grover
Smoking on the "Yellow Submarine"
Peace Heart BBQ

Utah BBQ Managing Member / Certified KCBS Judge
04-08-2013 10:29 AM
NDG Offline
Managing Member

It is not fun for me to see others fail, even though that is what I heard after awards " We wiped them out!!!!" "We cleaned the floor with them" Well I took 23rd, and they did NOT wipe us out, and they sure did not clean the floor with me!!!! I helped others, I did my best, and I HAD FUN!!!!! All they did was score higher than me, and should I ever take BBQ SERIOUS, watch out because I will be like them and take every class, become the BEST SHIGGIN NINJA EVER, and then give my self all the credit and say I am self taught. WITCHAAAA!!!!!

David Grover
Peace Heart BBQ

04-08-2013 10:41 AM
NDG Offline
Managing Member

David Grover
Peace Heart BBQ

04-08-2013 10:42 AM
bwinther Offline
Managing Member

David...I couldn't have said any of the above better. Thanks for putting into words for me. I had a blast even though I didn't repeat as I was told by some that I had no chance of doing. Oh well, my family and I had fun and it was great to hang out with some awesome people and meet some new people. An enjoyable time as always. Looking forward to the end of the month for the next one.

Brian

Brian

HQO
Gotta have it
2013 Utah's Representative to the Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational BBQ Competition
KCBS Certified Judge
Managing Member
04-08-2013 12:07 PM
NDG Offline
Managing Member

Rainbow RE: Didn't know that my restaurant got shut down!
(04-08-2013 12:07 PM)bwinther Wrote:  David...I couldn't have said any of the above better. Thanks for putting into words for me. I had a blast even though I didn't repeat as I was told by some that I had no chance of doing. Oh well, my family and I had fun and it was great to hang out with some awesome people and meet some new people. An enjoyable time as always. Looking forward to the end of the month for the next one.

Brian

Thanks B!!!!Big Grin

David Grover
Peace Heart BBQ

04-08-2013 12:20 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

I was next to Jon, and I really enjoyed being next to him, I would love it again. We sang, clapped and enjoyed old school tunes all night as we both did the tedious task of cooking along and having fun like it should be. Interesting, the results from last year were reversed to some measure, all you saw was a pack of whiners about the judging. HQO won the grand and he is a known active member of the UTAH BBQ ORGANIZATION and was told to his face that he didn't have a shot at repeating from one of Utah's BBQ Gods, now would you want to be told that by an arrogant! Almost as bad as them when they would come tell ya how many points they beat ya by. First place chicken went to Larry Jacobs last year,(Smokey Jakes) basically the shoe was on the other foot. A word was not heard from any Utah BBQ Organization about "we kick there asses", " We wiped them out!!!!" "We cleaned the floor with them" "we swept them" whopping and hollering like kids. When Larry Smokey Jakes BBQ was leaving he head someone from there side say "get out of the way here comes shitty Jakes BBQ". The talk was over heard of Jesse unplugging the plug in Vegas (funny they don't confront him about it) It's a lie and still being spread! This is why we are getting rid of people like this from cooking at our events in Utah, lies, shit talking, and just people not good for BBQ. The Utah BBQ Organization to date has never had one person banned or almost banned by any organization or promoter in BBQ, to date they have several teams that have been banned, but no, we are bad for BBQ, I don't think so. Why would a National Promoter band them if his promotions aren't being hurt by them being there, The Utah BBQ Organization can't be blamed for that? When I started the BBQ competitions way back in the day it was intended to be what BBQ is about not this crap that's out there now and be insulted and told 'It's only BBQ get over it". You showed the country how classy your organization is, and don't try to lie as always and say it didn't happen, good job! I have the highest respect for Phil and Lou, Pitmaster BBQ Q, and Trevor Johnson, and that's where it ends. Sorry to see good folks be counted in there mix. We don't have to see these guys til next Sam's Club, and that will be so nice to be able as Rob so nicely put "stress free contest". I would have loved to have qualified to have gone to Vegas but not with a certain few. I won a category, and that win can't be taken away, but I'm sure somewhere they'll find a way to deface it as always because that's how they do it. We don't go to there sight with little shitty remarks and start shit and claim that we run people away from BBQ. By the way we have teams returning because certain people won't be around to try to recruit or talk shit on us. Like come on over to our site we'll treat ya right, and you can hear us pound our chest and brag to each other about how great we are ya de ya de ya. de Well guys your group actions this week end were witnessed and heard by all, and I'm sure competitions around the country would not condone this kind of behavior nor would the KCBS, this is why we want nothing to do with your kind. Enjoy going out off state to cook, and we will see ya next year!

keep it low-n-slow " T "

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
04-08-2013 05:34 PM
Razcals Ribs Offline

Amen to that "T" and Sean you never come out to compete but you talk a bunch of Trash and you say they don't banned well what do you call not being able to post if that's not Banning. I have never seen your (SEAN) Team at any comps, KCBS or UTAh or any in the Country , and My Hats off to you David ditto on what you said.

if it moves salute it,if it don't paint it, if it is dead BBQ itCool
3 UDS
1 Nat Off Set Smoker
04-08-2013 05:51 PM
Big Johnson's BBQ Offline
Managing Member

Very well said T!
I had to laugh out lod during each turn-in... The same one's always running their mouths, who can't back up what they say, had people holding their hands and walking them up to the turn in tables... LOL! Now that is some funny stuff right there!

How did deez taste... With a smile on your face!

Pit's & Spit's 3060 - Yoder Comp BBQ Cart YS640!
KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
(Riverdale Road in Ogden)
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
04-08-2013 06:16 PM
Grandpa Jon Offline

(04-08-2013 09:32 AM)crashpilot Wrote:  
(03-26-2013 11:07 AM)Grandpa Jon Wrote:  Well, the Sam's Club National is less than 2 weeks away, and I must say there are going to be some teams/individuals who are more motiviated than ever to "exorcise" those particular pontificating wind bags.

How did you finish this weekend??

Well "crashpilot", I finished with my head held high having a good time, and learning several things... Just remember every dog has his day; for some it's now and others later. Nothing lasts forever except the earth and sky...... Big Grin

OU8SomeQ2.... Big Grin
04-08-2013 08:17 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

I think what takes many people back is the expectation that everyone in the contest will be civil and gentlemen. Having been burned by co-workers in the railroad industry and having bullets shot at me by communists.....I find words are like someone throwing marshmallows at you. You eat a few and put the rest on a stick and make Smoors! Cheers.

Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
04-08-2013 08:49 PM
bwinther Offline
Managing Member

I like s'mores Big Grin I also like roasted twinkies. Tongue

Brian

HQO
Gotta have it
2013 Utah's Representative to the Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational BBQ Competition
KCBS Certified Judge
Managing Member
04-08-2013 08:52 PM
Razcals Ribs Offline

Where can I get the Twinkies??????

if it moves salute it,if it don't paint it, if it is dead BBQ itCool
3 UDS
1 Nat Off Set Smoker
04-08-2013 08:55 PM
bwinther Offline
Managing Member

Sadly they are now called "cloud cakes." Not the same thing but do in a pinch until Twinkies come back (hopefully soon) Shy

Brian

HQO
Gotta have it
KCBS Certified Judge
Managing Member
04-08-2013 09:51 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Are they look and taste the same B? I enjoyed them every now and then.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
04-08-2013 10:38 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

T, I have a whole box of Twinkies I saved just for you.

Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
04-08-2013 11:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  It didn't happen SoEzzy 5 426 01-19-2013 09:59 AM
Last Post: SoEzzy
  Almost didn't happen! T 3 642 06-16-2009 07:50 PM
Last Post: crashpilot