Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
BBQing Ham
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

BBQing Ham
No this isn't about how to BBQ ham but rather a HAM that BBQs. Let me splain. We BBQ type people seem to have lots of other hobbies. One of mine is Amateur (HAM) Radio. At a local ham swap meet the weekend I ran across this fellow and I had to ask him about the call. Turns out he is Doug Maurer from Pleasant Grove and he loves cooking and eating Q so much he requested an on air call sign that fits him.
He not only cooks but builds his own smokers and is in the process of building one out of 3/8 inch thick propane tank. He is thinking of hooking a cast iron stove on the back for a firebox.
I invited him to come aboard and pick the brains of some of the talent we have here.
Doug, are you here?

Attached File(s)
.jpg  photo-16.jpg (Size: 37.89 KB / Downloads: 87)

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
02-24-2013 02:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bwinther Offline
Managing Member

RE: BBQing Ham
Larry

I got a vanity call sign when I got my general license. It is W3HQO.

Brian

Brian

HQO
Gotta have it
2013 Utah's Representative to the Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational BBQ Competition
KCBS Certified Judge
Managing Member
02-24-2013 05:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Welcome to the forums WE7BBQ, should we make room for the other 6?

They are welcome to come join us too! Wink

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
02-24-2013 06:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

(02-24-2013 06:43 PM)SoEzzy Wrote:  Welcome to the forums WE7BBQ, should we make room for the other 6?

They are welcome to come join us too! Wink

Well....that took me a good minute to figure that one out. Ha!
We 7 BBQ. I guess We 8 BBQ would fun.

Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 08:05 PM by Larry Jacobs.)
02-24-2013 08:03 PM
WE7BBQ Offline

(02-24-2013 02:14 PM)Larry Jacobs Wrote:  No this isn't about how to BBQ ham but rather a HAM that BBQs. Let me splain. We BBQ type people seem to have lots of other hobbies. One of mine is Amateur (HAM) Radio. At a local ham swap meet the weekend I ran across this fellow and I had to ask him about the call. Turns out he is Doug Maurer from Pleasant Grove and he loves cooking and eating Q so much he requested an on air call sign that fits him.
He not only cooks but builds his own smokers and is in the process of building one out of 3/8 inch thick propane tank. He is thinking of hooking a cast iron stove on the back for a firebox.
I invited him to come aboard and pick the brains of some of the talent we have here.
Doug, are you here?

I am here,or i was there...at the judging class as was another beautiful ham i know.....my wife,Mindy.She has a cute call also,I wonder if anyone can figure hers out? Her call is N1RSE......get it? Lol,she saved my life in January when i had a heart attack and made me go to the hospital.Course,she is a cardiac ICU rn,so that was a no-brainer that she made me go....Anyway,i met some of the guys at the dutch over cookout in Farmington a few years ago and remembered the Utah BBQ assn.had a nice pork sammie and enjoyed it,then met Larry at the VHF society swapmeet,i didnt know he was a ham also! The two go together like pulled pork and cole slaw! So when i have my big daddy ready you can bet it will have provisions for a portable antenna arry of varying capacities so's me n Larry can tell lies and bbq secrets.Great meeting you and am very proud to be a member,and also being numero dos in our radio club in Utah Co. anyone wishing to chat BBQ or whatever,i can be found at 146.760 most anytime,course you got my call,how can a BBQ'R forget it.Keep them eyes open fer me when i get er done,it aint gonna be all fancy chromed out and have sidepipes,but i'll guarantee it'll smoke.See ya'll soon,i guess ill have to start looking to find me a team name......stay tuned.....WE7BBQ

WE7BBQ........Why yes,I am a HAM!
Newly certified Utah BBQ Org.Judge.
Just an old hillbilly smokin on a couple backyard smokers.[/color][/b][/size][/font]
03-10-2013 12:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Hey Doug. Check your private Message site. (up above)

Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
03-10-2013 09:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  It's Ham-tastic! Guest 1 428 01-11-2008 09:42 PM
Last Post: Guest