Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
smoke wood flavors...
rock-wit'chu bbq Offline

smoke wood flavors...
OK guys... another newbie question here. I really like using fruitwood for chicken and pork. I've been using apple and cherry and combos of the two, but was wondering about peach. Out of these 3 kinds of wood which has the strongest flavor and weakest? Also, does cherry impart a "sweeter" flavor to the meat?
My aim is to get a bit of a stronger flavor w/out using a heavier/stronger wood like hickory. Any and all other input is greatly appreciated! Thanks All!
I cook my chicken regular until it hits about 170'ish... and I use an adjusted time frame of the 3-2-1 method for my ribs... FYI.

WSM-18 inch, Chargriller Akorn Kamado
02-26-2013 10:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Curtis Nations Offline
Managing Member

smoke wood flavors...
I really like to mix pecan and cherry. I've used peach and for me it puts off to much smoke unless you burning it at over 350 degrees.
02-26-2013 11:00 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

RE: smoke wood flavors...
(02-26-2013 10:24 AM)rock-witchu bbq Wrote:  OK guys... another newbie question here. I really like using fruitwood for chicken and pork. I've been using apple and cherry and combos of the two, but was wondering about peach. Out of these 3 kinds of wood which has the strongest flavor and weakest? Also, does cherry impart a "sweeter" flavor to the meat?

Peach is nice I like chicken or pork cooked with peach!

I feel that all 3 are about level, if you have pieces of the same size, they will produce almost the same amount of smoke and flavor in the meat, as you have found with the combinations, the wood you use more of is the one that is going to predominate! The density of the woods is similar, and generally woods with similar densities produce similar smoke amounts for similar sized pieces.

So use the three together or any combination of them, and you'll get similar but different accents on the meat.

I think they all produce sweet meat, cherry can carry extra color to both pork and beef, I haven't really noticed the extra color on chicken, (as I generally sauce my chicken).

Quote:My aim is to get a bit of a stronger flavor w/out using a heavier/stronger wood like hickory. Any and all other input is greatly appreciated! Thanks All!

Use more wood if you are using chunks, if you are using splits, you might look at adding a nut wood instead of a fruit wood, Oak works well with apple and cherry or a combination of them.

Quote:I cook my chicken regular until it hits about 170'ish... and I use an adjusted time frame of the 3-2-1 method for my ribs... FYI.

Are you cooking full spares? 3:2:1 is really for full spares only, if you are cooking St Louis trimmed spares, you will need less time, a 2:2:1 or some variation works well, (I have often used a 2:1:1.5 with St Louis on the WSM and they do very well), if you are cooking loin backs or true baby backs, you can cut it back even further to a 2:1:1 or less!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
02-26-2013 11:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
glenntm Offline

We use Peach on our chicken.... It turns our really nice...
02-26-2013 12:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fidel_astorga Offline
Managing Member

I love peach, but I have it hard to find here in utah.

(02-26-2013 12:07 PM)glenntm Wrote:  We use Peach on our chicken.... It turns our really nice...

CHICKEN BUTT BBQ UTAH
Lucy Lang 60" DLX Long Neck 40" Char Grill
KCBS Certified Judge
KCBS Certified Table Captain
UTAH BBQ Org Certified Judge
fidel@utahbbq.org
"Powered by Maxwell" Angel
02-27-2013 03:22 PM
Desert Magnolia Offline

[quote='fidel_astorga' pid='35684' dateline='1362000169']

We have peach trees in every field up here. To be honest it best when fresh, not aged at all, and not just cause Mayron said so. The hard part is getting the farmers to part with a tree that still grows fruit. I like apple on the chicken, Cherry on beef and wild plum on the pork. I did do 100% Hickory once and love it for me but a lot of people around here don't like it.

@ 85 gallon trash cans drilled and ready for action!!
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
02-27-2013 04:22 PM
rock-wit'chu bbq Offline

I normally cook at 275 on my kamado... ribs and chicken...

WSM-18 inch, Chargriller Akorn Kamado
02-28-2013 10:21 AM
Swinedoctors Offline
Phd BBQ

If any of the Utah teams need peach wood let me know I have an unlimited source of it here in Palisade, CO. I am willing to ship it or I can also bring it to comps if your at one that I will be attending. Please give me a few weeks before you need it to get it fresh cut or chunked for you. I leave all mine in large sizes until I am ready to use, it holds the sap better. Peach when dried for more than a year or more is useless. All the wood I get is organic and never sprayed with any pesticides. Also Frutiawoods.com sells peach for a reasonable price.

(02-26-2013 12:07 PM)glenntm Wrote:  We use Peach on our chicken.... It turns our really nice...
[/quote]

Doug Winter Phd BBQ
Swine Doctors
04-08-2013 11:19 AM
MrZip66 Offline

IMO, the sugars in the fruitier woods seem to lend themselves to chicken and pork. I like cherry and apple, and they make a nice color when they're smoked as well. Been smoking a little with pecan lately, and that has a really nice mellow flavor I'm kinda starting to dig.

I like the heavier woods like hickory on beef. Mesquite is nasty, but just my take Smile

Curing up some pork bellies and wanna try some maple next weekend. Never had that one.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2013 11:29 AM by MrZip66.)
04-08-2013 11:28 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Local scrub (Gamble) oak as smoke wood? GotWood? 14 3,396 11-05-2007 07:43 PM
Last Post: GotWood?
  wood smoke Gene 1 513 11-26-2006 09:07 AM
Last Post: Gene