Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dickies BBQ In Layton Review
stewartr002 Offline

Dickies BBQ In Layton Review
I finally got a chance to sample the BBQ at Dickies on Hill Field Road in Layton so thought I would post a review. Bottom-line up front - I think they set a standard for "chain restaurant" BBQ quality and I score them 4 out of 5 stars. For those new Utah BBQ Organization certified judges, this is what I would call good average (score 6) restaurant quality as compared to competition BBQ in Utah...but it's certainly not competition BBQ.

The place was hammered when I arrived at 1115 and parking was tough to find. To order, you get in line as you come in and work your way through a lunch room style ordering process that reminded me of the many BBQ joints I've eaten in around Ft. Worth, Texas. I chose the two meat plate and added a 3rd meat to make it a 3 meat lunch including brisket, pork, and ribs. It came with two sides, I selected beans and potatoe salad, a home made yeast roll, and a large drink (sweet tea for me), for $14 and change. With about 20 folks in front of me in line, it only took about 8-9 minutes to order, get my food, and find a seat. The folks working the line were crankin' and seemed well trained and courteous. Seating was plentiful even though it was very busy with the lunch rush. Drinks, sauces, and cutlery were easily accessable at a separate station as were free giant dill pickles and ice cream.

Now to the meal. I started with the brisket which was served shredded with a little sauce. The meat was moist and tender, bark color was dark, and the taste, while very mild, did have a slight smoke flavor and fairly good flavor (not pot roast either). Not the best restaurant brisket I've had (check out Desert Magnolia's for better) but pretty good for this area. It was cooked pretty well (not crumbly) and was tender to the bite. Next I sampled the pork. It was pulled in long thick strands, fairly moist, and had a good smoke flavor. The meat was firm but tender (not over cooked, fat rendered out) and had a good pork flavor and smokey after-taste. Next I got into the spare ribs. As is usual, they were a bit over done by competition standards. They had good color, were tender to the bite, and the taste was pretty good for a chain restaurant. They were served without sauce with their dry rub cooked in. By the way, I got 3 ribs, and about 5 oz's each of brisket and pork. Overall, the meats, while not overly flavorable, were pretty good. I tried two sauces, their original and their sweet. Both were okay, tomatoe based with a vinegar overtone and on the thin side. Not much difference between them. They complimented the meat without covering up the meat flavor. For my taste, they were a little bland. On to the sides, I started with the beans, they were excellent. The taste was very good and there were chunks of pork included with a good smokey taste. I liked that alot. The potatoe salad had firm but tender potatoes and a strong but not overpowering dill taste with a hint of mustard and vinegar. Pretty good 'tater salad. The roll was excellent and reminded me of a BBQ joint called Soda Springs in Ft. Worth that brought "hot out of the oven" homemade rolls around to restaurant patrons while they were eating. Good roll! The sweet tea was right on also. Not too sweet but sweet enough to get that good tea and sugar flavor. Yum, reminded me of home. I tried the icecream and it was okay but a little on the soft side (typical for a machine). Overall, this was a good meal. While the meats were on the mild side of taste (wouldn't call it bland), there was definite smoke flavor and it was fairly moist and tender.

Again, while this is not up to the standards of competition BBQ, it is one of the better chain BBQ restaurants that I've visited. If the standard holds up after a few visits, I'll probably use it as an example of a 6 score when training competition BBQ judges about scoring taste and tenderness. You might want to give it a try.

Randy

Randy Stewart
"Utah BBQ Org., Florida BBQ Asoc., & KCBS Certified Judge"
Green Mountain Grill Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker
Smoke On!
03-23-2013 06:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Razcals Ribs Offline

RE: Dickies BBQ In Layton Review
Thanks Randy BBQ was good but I had some better Last Weekend in SLC,it was a great place at some Car lot on State Street

if it moves salute it,if it don't paint it, if it is dead BBQ itCool
3 UDS
1 Nat Off Set Smoker
03-23-2013 09:19 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Thanks Randy, I went to the one in Jordan Landing and had a pleasant experience at that location and will if the need go back. I also congratulated the owner on a good job and told him that he had some great employees as well.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
03-23-2013 12:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Big Johnson's BBQ Offline
Managing Member

I was going to review the Dickies on 12th street in Ogden but went to Dessert Magnolia's BBQ instead...

Pit's & Spit's 3060 - Yoder Comp BBQ Cart YS640!
KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
(Riverdale Road in Ogden)
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
03-23-2013 01:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Razcals Ribs Offline

The last time I went to the one on 12th street in Ogden is was bad the food was cold, But the one in Layton was Great hot and tasted Great.

if it moves salute it,if it don't paint it, if it is dead BBQ itCool
3 UDS
1 Nat Off Set Smoker
03-23-2013 03:51 PM
MrZip66 Offline

One of my clients is the dickies BBQ in Heber. I'm with you, decent enough bbq for the price. I've had em there where they didn't pull the membrane off the ribs, but for the most part its a real smoked rib, with good service and some nice sides. To be honest, I'd rather make my own...
03-24-2013 11:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Tried Dickies for my second and final time! elkski 14 3,195 06-25-2011 10:07 PM
Last Post: tipsforBBQ
  Soul and Bones BBQ Review no1plumber 8 1,031 06-22-2009 03:51 PM
Last Post: Infamous Dave
  Lunch Review: Pat's BBQ Gumbo 4 1,027 07-13-2006 05:27 PM
Last Post: teamfat