Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
UDS Charcoal Basket Question
RichOlsen Offline

Hey all,
I bought a UDS over the weekend (after seeing many of you at the Sams Club event making amazing BBQ on a UDS)
and the charcoal basket is different than what I have seen before. Instead of a basket that fills most of the bottom of the cooker, its taller and more of a cylinder in shape, made of same expanded metal.

Question is, will this cook evenly if it sits in the center of the drum instead of spread out more like a typical UDS basket?

Am I over thinking this?

Thanks all!

Rich
04-17-2013 08:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

RE: UDS Charcoal Basket Question
(04-17-2013 08:40 AM)RichOlsen Wrote:  Hey all,
I bought a UDS over the weekend (after seeing many of you at the Sams Club event making amazing BBQ on a UDS)
and the charcoal basket is different than what I have seen before. Instead of a basket that fills most of the bottom of the cooker, its taller and more of a cylinder in shape, made of same expanded metal.

Question is, will this cook evenly if it sits in the center of the drum instead of spread out more like a typical UDS basket?

Am I over thinking this?

Thanks all!

Rich

Most baskets are about 4" smaller in diameter than the drum its self

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
04-17-2013 08:44 AM
Curtis Nations Offline
Managing Member

It shouldn't make that much of a difference, how tall is the basket and how wide?
04-17-2013 09:22 AM
Big Johnson's BBQ Offline
Managing Member

The basket in both of mine are made from the bottom grate of a Weber Kettle - about 18 1/2 inches. Mine are 12 inches tall & made from expanded metal for longer cooks...

Pit's & Spit's 3060 - Yoder Comp BBQ Cart YS640!
KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
(Riverdale Road in Ogden)
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
04-17-2013 09:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Kettle charcoal grates are about 17.5" and to wrap them in #9 x 3/4" expanded metal, you will need 55" to tough edge to edge or 60" for an overlap.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
04-17-2013 10:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
T Offline
Posting Freak

Hey Rich, I have seen all kinds over years, and they all seem to work well for who ever is cooking on them. Like you said don't over think it. Don't know if you bought it used or whatever but it worked for whomever made it. UDS, BDS, whatever pit your cooking on this statement will never change "know your pit" Have fun man!

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
04-17-2013 03:54 PM
RichOlsen Offline

Just FYI...... here are pics of the coal basket.......its pretty tall

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-19-2013 11:37 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I wouldn't fill it past about the halfway mark...part of what makes a UDS work so well is the distance that can be maintained between the fire and the food.

From the UDS's that have been made in the last 5 or 6 years, and have been well documented on the web, most have at least 18" from the possible top of the fire to the bottom of their grate.

Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
04-19-2013 12:40 PM
Pigout Offline

Chris,
Do you use a heat defector or water pan above the basket?

"BBQ so good it's time to Pigout"
04-19-2013 03:32 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Nope, some folks use a diffuser plate, some use a water pan.

Even in the 55 gallon UDS's that I made, there was a long enough space between the fire and the grate.

The main thing is to catch the temperatures on the way up, and make sure the lid is tight on the drum.

When running at your happy spot for that pit, on that one hole or one valve, when you are getting ready to check on the meat, spritz or mop where you need to take the lid off... learn to close the vent / valve and allow it to burn through the O2 for 2 or 3 minutes, pop off the lid then do what you need to do as quickly as possible, then relid... (this is where a number of folks make a mistake), wait a full 10 minutes before you reset the vent/ valve back to where the cooker was running.

Those that make the mistake of opening their vents as soon as they close the lid, have just supercharged the cooker with extra Oxygen, and it will jump 40 - 50°, and once it has gotten away from you, for more than 10 minutes, you've lost the control on that pit.

04-19-2013 03:54 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

I see that as a pretty good way do utilize the "Minion" method...

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
04-19-2013 04:57 PM
Phred Offline

http://jmillerid.com/wordpress/category/...um-smoker/

Here's another version of a drum smoker
04-22-2013 03:08 PM
RichOlsen Offline

.jpg  IMG_2939.jpg (Size: 21.65 KB / Downloads: 124)
.jpg  IMG_2939.jpg (Size: 21.65 KB / Downloads: 124) Hey all.....I did my first smoke on the UDS on Saturday, Ill post the results in a new thread, however, I took 15 minutes and built a new fire basket for the UDS.

went to the dollar store and bought 3 packs of warming racks (2 per pack)

$3 dollars spent, and a bit of connecting wire and TADA! Big Grin

Its not the end all/be all but it worked great. Cool

See the pics...

Attached File(s)
.jpg  IMG_2937.jpg (Size: 19.91 KB / Downloads: 116)
.jpg  IMG_2936.jpg (Size: 18.92 KB / Downloads: 116)
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2013 03:59 PM by RichOlsen.)
04-22-2013 03:58 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Great idea!

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
04-22-2013 04:56 PM
LT72884 Offline

Yeah thats an odd size drum basket for sure. Yeah it could work but you still what your radius of the basket to be a we bit more spread out. Like a charcoal grate from a weber is perfect cuz now the heat given off from the basket is a nice spread out even heat. Im willing to beat you could find a grate and then cut the expanded metal and fit it around the grate. Or make a square basket out of it

I am skilled at the art of love. I just wish i had a bigger paint brush

My websites: http://GrillofMyDreams.blogspot.com
http://TheBreadJournal.blogspot.com
05-21-2013 03:29 PM
Dale Offline

After years of having trouble controlling temp in my UDS I just started closing the valve before I open the pit, but I have not been waiting 10 min to open them. Great tip thanks!
09-15-2013 02:10 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

If you are closing it before you take the lid off for a minute, (or less), close the valve about 3 or 4 minutes before you do.

Once you relid you have lots of Oxygen still inside, you can double the time plus a little, (that's why I say 10 minutes or so), and then reset the valve to where you had it before you took the lid off, and you won't get a large temperature spike. You may get a 10 - 15° jump, but normally it will bounce rather than spike.

09-15-2013 03:54 PM
Dale Offline

(09-15-2013 03:54 PM)SoEzzy Wrote:  If you are closing it before you take the lid off for a minute, (or less), close the valve about 3 or 4 minutes before you do.

Once you relid you have lots of Oxygen still inside, you can double the time plus a little, (that's why I say 10 minutes or so), and then reset the valve to where you had it before you took the lid off, and you won't get a large temperature spike. You may get a 10 - 15° jump, but normally it will bounce rather than spike.
09-15-2013 06:47 PM
Dale Offline

(09-15-2013 06:47 PM)Dale Wrote:  
(09-15-2013 03:54 PM)SoEzzy Wrote:  If you are closing it before you take the lid off for a minute, (or less), close the valve about 3 or 4 minutes before you do.

Tried this with some salmon today and the temperature stayed constant thanks for the advice. Bad news is the salmon did not turn out so great, hope for better results next time.
09-15-2013 06:51 PM