Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Worst Rule in Comp BBQ!
Big Johnson's BBQ Offline
Managing Member

Worst Rule in Comp BBQ!
During our monthly UtahBBQ.org board meeting last night the topic turned towards what in my opinion is the Worst Rule in Competitive BBQ! This is a KCBS Rule & also for any event that is a Jack Qualifier or draw.

If there are 15 Teams for a 1st year event and/or your 25 team for a 2nd year event & one... And one team misses a turn-in time. The Grand Champion gets screwed out of qualifying for the Jack Daniels World BBQ Invitational! Event though you have enough teams and the late team tried to get their meat turned in on time!

Please give your comments and/or feelings, Share this if ya would...
#WorstRuleinCompBBQ

Pit's & Spit's 3060 - Yoder Comp BBQ Cart YS640!
KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
(Riverdale Road in Ogden)
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
06-11-2013 11:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Managing Member

RE: Worst Rule in Comp BBQ!
Interesting:

(on Facebook)Vincent Carrocci:
A late turn in, while still a DQ for the team, receives scores of 1-1-1 from all judges and does not invalidate the contest as a qualifier. A missed turn in, meaning the team did not even try to turn in a box, receives no score and does invalidate the qualifier assuming there are only 15 or 25 teams respectively.

KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
06-11-2013 02:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Razcals Ribs Offline

sounds like a DQ still makes it a Qualifier

if it moves salute it,if it don't paint it, if it is dead BBQ itCool
3 UDS
1 Nat Off Set Smoker
06-11-2013 08:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Desert Magnolia Offline

I'm not the one that should be commenting on this one granted, however, I think this also could bring up a topic on how to best handle the public (sometimes drunk) at events. While on one hand we don't want to anger the kind people that give us space to hold the events, and on the other we would like to keep a cattle prod handy at all times in the future.

That being said it was always my understanding that a DQ team be it late, under cooked/raw, or for example returning pork to the cooker, was given a score of 1 not 0. 1 being turned in but DQ for the GC or RGC but not as a 0 from being removed from the event all together, mostly dew to behavior. Granted I have not looked at the rules for some years.

@ 85 gallon trash cans drilled and ready for action!!
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
06-11-2013 08:45 PM
Managing Member

From the KCBS:

This is correct: A late turn in, while still a DQ for the team, receives scores of 1-1-1 from all judges and does not invalidate the contest as a qualifier. A missed turn in, meaning the team did not even try to turn in a box, receives no score and does invalidate the qualifier assuming there are only 15 or 25 teams respectively.

So the KCBS wants/asks all teams to turn in, even if they get DQ’d, they all turned in.

KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
06-12-2013 03:02 PM
Desert Magnolia Offline

Good then I do feel as bad.... cattle prod will still be on hand from now on!

@ 85 gallon trash cans drilled and ready for action!!
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
06-12-2013 07:27 PM