Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smoke on the Snake- Cancelled!!
Pitmaster Offline

Smoke on the Snake- Cancelled!!
Due to lack of support, the contest was cancelled yesterday! I don't understand how we can have a $10,000 contest in our area fail due to lack of support. I am beyond upset about this because we all want to have a chance to cook for a large purse. Next to the Wendover comp, this is the most money we've seen in our area in a long time. And only a $200 entry fee!! You can't beat that. So much for promoting BBQ in Idaho. No contests this year really sucks! We are talking about trying again next year. Thanks everyone.
Rob

Rob Harding
KCBS Certified Judge
http://www.pitmaster-bbq.com
rob@pitmaster-bbq.com
Smokin' on an Austin National Smoker, Brinkmann Professional COS, Man-Weber (27in) & Girl-Weber (22.5in),No Joker Smoker (Drum Smoker)
08-25-2013 06:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bwinther Offline
Managing Member

RE: Smoke on the Snake- Cancelled!!
Rob...we are sorry to here that the contest was cancelled. We were looking forward to hopefully coming up and competiting. Again, sorry to hear this news. It is a sad day for BBQ in the region.

Brian

Brian

HQO
Gotta have it
2013 Utah's Representative to the Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational BBQ Competition
KCBS Certified Judge
Managing Member
08-25-2013 08:32 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I'm so sorry that the contest was cancelled.

I needed to win something at Wendover in order to pay my way to Idaho, and we all know how that went!

As I said last year it looked like a great place for a contest, and had a good following, with teams from Utah coming up at the last minute, when it looked like it wasn't going to get the numbers.

There were at least 5 teams, (that I've spoken to recently), that said they had already paid for the trip to the Pork and Hops $275 for a $20,000 purse on the same day.

I sure hope it's a go for next year... please remind them that the teams in Utah will often find the time and money in the last week or two before a contest, we are constantly filling contests at the last minute.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
08-25-2013 08:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Rob, Sorry to hear that. I was also planning on coming up. I had to get Wendover out of the way first. Things are kind of tight but we were planning on coming up. I even begged and pleaded to get that Friday off of work. Maybe next year.
It was good to see you again and congrats on your wins!

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
08-25-2013 09:16 PM
Desert Magnolia Offline

So sorry to hear this. I really wanted to come up and support you guys.

@ 85 gallon trash cans drilled and ready for action!!
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
08-25-2013 11:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Buccaneer Offline

It is disappointing to see this event not get supported. Yes, last year some teams did come up at the last minute, but those teams were also given a very generous invitation to be there. Of all the teams, they should have been the first to show their support. Instead, there was too much fretting over who else might show up. No banning here. Chris got to rant last year, now I guess it's my turn. I'm frustrated because I watched Rob from Pitmaster work for 3 years trying to get sponsers for this event and hearing all of the "atta boys" and everybody telling him that "if you get a contest in Idaho, we'll be there" is frustrating. Last year was a scramble to get to 15 teams, this year was a no show. Nothing but lip service.
These opinions are soley mine and in no way reflect those of the sponsers or Rob, just an observation by me. However, I do appreciate those who were well intentioned and were making the effort.
Meanwhile, the rest y'all can chase yourselves around the Wasatch Front for $2,000.00 - $3,000.00 in prize money, patting yourselves on the back for promoting BBQ while a potentially great event whithers.
I've spoken my mind and I know the drill, so I'm off to "pound sand". I'm done.
08-26-2013 12:02 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

If we deleted anyone with an opinion... there would be no one left to post anything.

Questions based on what Dale posted.
So if they had all signed up, even thinking that other teams were going to be there, how many teams would that have made in total?
Would it have made the difference between go and no go?
The contest was shut down 3 weeks before it was to be held, how many teams other than those from Utah BBQ that wanted to go, had said anything about going?
As a second year contest it needed 25 teams to be a qualifier, with those Utah BBQ teams that wanted to go, how close would it have been?

These are solely my questions, but to show what the depth of my feelings are, I have already declined to travel the 14 miles to the State Fair the week before, or the 52 miles the next weekend to go to Coalville!

There are many reasons I can't go, but only really one reason that I wont go!

Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
08-26-2013 03:36 AM
fidel_astorga Offline
Managing Member

I, as well as many other teams were told we had to the end of the month to sign up for this event. I was planning on doing it today.

CHICKEN BUTT BBQ UTAH
Lucy Lang 60" DLX Long Neck 40" Char Grill
KCBS Certified Judge
KCBS Certified Table Captain
UTAH BBQ Org Certified Judge
fidel@utahbbq.org
"Powered by Maxwell" Angel
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 10:17 AM by fidel_astorga.)
08-26-2013 10:16 AM
Pitmaster Offline

Fidel, I don't know where you heard that but Ive never heard it. The owners of the event made the decision. I don't know any of the variables or reasons for their decision. I'm just disappointed.

(08-26-2013 10:16 AM)fidel_astorga Wrote:  I, as well as many other teams were told we had to the end of the month to sign up for this event. I was planning on doing it today.

Rob Harding
KCBS Certified Judge
rob@pitmaster-bbq.com
Smokin' on an Austin National Smoker, Brinkmann Professional COS, Man-Weber (27in) & Girl-Weber (22.5in),No Joker Smoker (Drum Smoker)
08-26-2013 11:31 AM
Pitmaster Offline

Just to clarify...Riverbend Communications owns the event this year. I have told them that most teams had to get past Wendover then they would sign up. I sent them a verbal list of 15 teams. To no avail. I know Leah tried to delay their decision but we have none BBQ people controlling the event. I think they wanted to use the sponsorship money for the Harvestfest and not the BBQ event. Leah and I are talking about next year so Ill let everyone know if we get another one going. Thanks

Rob Harding
KCBS Certified Judge
rob@pitmaster-bbq.com
08-26-2013 11:36 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Thanks for clarifying that Rob.

I am bummed that they cancelled.

If you get ay dates for next year, let's promote the heck out it from the first of the year or sooner!

08-26-2013 11:52 AM
fidel_astorga Offline
Managing Member

(08-26-2013 11:31 AM)Pitmaster Wrote:  Fidel, I don't know where you heard that but Ive never heard it. The owners of the event made the decision. I don't know any of the variables or reasons for their decision. I'm just disappointed.

(08-26-2013 10:16 AM)fidel_astorga Wrote:  I, as well as many other teams were told we had to the end of the month to sign up for this event. I was planning on doing it today.

Rob, I believe I heard it from you about them extending it to the end of the month. If that is not the case then that was MY misunderstanding! I and a few other teams believed we could sign up this week after Wendover. I am sad to hear this event was cancelled and in the future I will sign up with more time. Thanks

CHICKEN BUTT BBQ UTAH
KCBS Certified Judge
fidel@utahbbq.org
08-26-2013 12:47 PM
Big Johnson's BBQ Offline
Managing Member

I know that Rob was frustrated with the amount of team that were signed up to date for his event... I had it on my schedule but needed to get thru Wendover before I could spend the funds to enter. Rob & I talked about getting verbal commitments so the organizer would know that the Utah BBQ Ass Team were supporting the event! It was going to be tough to reach 25 teams but 15 was well within reach! So Dale, even though you feel it wasn't being supported, it actually was. The organizer just doesn't understand BBQ in this area. And I didn't get any specials for last years event... I paid my way and had to listen to R&R whine the whole event because I was trying to mend those BBQ fences. (Yep, I guess I'm not that bright for trying to do so & was warned about not event to try - I guess that really bite me in the butt on that one - huh!)

Dale, why are you not slamming the other teams from Utah who didn't support this event? They have posted that there were not going to be any "Top Notch" Teams this year, so they decided to cook in Colorado instead. Where are your diggs towards them? And while you don't mind being around R&R, there are teams here & well beyond Utah who do mind and just can't take the drama that they bring to a contest. I have been attacked both personally and professionally by them. You'll be able to read about that soon enough... Teams don't get banned or suspended for no reason my friend!

The other issue is timing, with other events in the weeks before, weeks after and on the same weekend, most of us don't have unlimited funds to cook as much as we'd like. I think all the team who were planning to cook this event are frustrated about it being canceled. Rob comes down to cook & I did come up and support the event last year and would have been there this year! I even had to leave right after turn-in's last year & haul butt to make it back and cook for the Weber State Football game. That's not lip service...

But Dale, please don't think it's easy to get locations and sponsors for BBQ Events, to play down others efforts who help to get contests with "only" $2,000 to $3,000 in prize money... You are missing the point of how BBQ Comps even started. BBQ Comps are grass roots events, family events that are suppose to be fun and to be able to catch up with your BBQ friends and their families... That's why I do it... So I guess I'll just chase my friends around the Wasatch Front for little or no money, pat myself on the back for doing what I can to promote BBQ, fellowship new teams and make new friends along the way... But Dale, please don't run off to "Pound Sand"... (I think that was pointed towards me because I think I'm the only one who has used that phrase on here) You are a welcome & important part of this BBQ Community... Don't let your frustration take you away from something you enjoy... I hope to see you out cooking your butt off soon...

Pit's & Spit's 3060 - Yoder Comp BBQ Cart YS640!
KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
(Riverdale Road in Ogden)
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
08-26-2013 12:56 PM
smokey's bbq pits Offline

Dang, Just sat down to register and pay for it. Sorry to hear the dreadful bad news.

Our Sponsors:

Sean's Smoke House in Saratoga Springs, Ut
http://www.seanssmokehouse.com/

Check us out on FB https://www.facebook.com/SmokeInLawBbqTeam?ref=hl Cool

1st place Brisket @ Smokin' Up Layton Hills 2013

UTAH Certified BBQ Judge
KCBS MEMBERS
BBQ'ing on UDS
LOVE THE SMELL OF SMOKE IN THE EARLY MORNING
08-26-2013 01:16 PM
smokey's bbq pits Offline

From the short pig-in-law in Idaho...

I was really looking forward to this one. Very disappointed it was cancelled. I would love to see more competitions in Idaho, big money or not.

Our Sponsors:

Sean's Smoke House in Saratoga Springs, Ut
http://www.seanssmokehouse.com/

Check us out on FB https://www.facebook.com/SmokeInLawBbqTeam?ref=hl Cool

1st place Brisket @ Smokin' Up Layton Hills 2013

UTAH Certified BBQ Judge
KCBS MEMBERS
BBQ'ing on UDS
LOVE THE SMELL OF SMOKE IN THE EARLY MORNING
08-26-2013 01:39 PM
fidel_astorga Offline
Managing Member

(08-26-2013 01:39 PM)smokeys bbq pits Wrote:  From the short pig-in-law in Idaho...

I was really looking forward to this one. Very disappointed it was cancelled. I would love to see more competitions in Idaho, big money or not.

I AGREE

CHICKEN BUTT BBQ UTAH
KCBS Certified Judge
fidel@utahbbq.org
08-26-2013 01:57 PM
Razcals Ribs Offline

(08-26-2013 12:56 PM)Big Johnsons BBQ Wrote:  I know that Rob was frustrated with the amount of team that were signed up to date for his event... I had it on my schedule but needed to get thru Wendover before I could spend the funds to enter. Rob & I talked about getting verbal commitments so the organizer would know that the Utah BBQ Ass Team were supporting the event! It was going to be tough to reach 25 teams but 15 was well within reach! So Dale, even though you feel it wasn't being supported, it actually was. The organizer just doesn't understand BBQ in this area. And I didn't get any specials for last years event... I paid my way and had to listen to R&R whine the whole event because I was trying to mend those BBQ fences. (Yep, I guess I'm not that bright for trying to do so & was warned about not event to try - I guess that really bite me in the butt on that one - huh!)

Dale, why are you not slamming the other teams from Utah who didn't support this event? They have posted that there were not going to be any "Top Notch" Teams this year, so they decided to cook in Colorado instead. Where are your diggs towards them? And while you don't mind being around R&R, there are teams here & well beyond Utah who do mind and just can't take the drama that they bring to a contest. I have been attacked both personally and professionally by them. You'll be able to read about that soon enough... Teams don't get banned or suspended for no reason my friend!

The other issue is timing, with other events in the weeks before, weeks after and on the same weekend, most of us don't have unlimited funds to cook as much as we'd like. I think all the team who were planning to cook this event are frustrated about it being canceled. Rob comes down to cook & I did come up and support the event last year and would have been there this year! I even had to leave right after turn-in's last year & haul butt to make it back and cook for the Weber State Football game. That's not lip service...

But Dale, please don't think it's easy to get locations and sponsors for BBQ Events, to play down others efforts who help to get contests with "only" $2,000 to $3,000 in prize money... You are missing the point of how BBQ Comps even started. BBQ Comps are grass roots events, family events that are suppose to be fun and to be able to catch up with your BBQ friends and their families... That's why I do it... So I guess I'll just chase my friends around the Wasatch Front for little or no money, pat myself on the back for doing what I can to promote BBQ, fellowship new teams and make new friends along the way... But Dale, please don't run off to "Pound Sand"... (I think that was pointed towards me because I think I'm the only one who has used that phrase on here) You are a welcome & important part of this BBQ Community... Don't let your frustration take you away from something you enjoy... I hope to see you out cooking your butt off soon...

I Agree with Jesse

if it moves salute it,if it don't paint it, if it is dead BBQ itCool
3 UDS
1 Nat Off Set Smoker
08-26-2013 06:12 PM
Buccaneer Offline

I agree with Jesse too.

Jessee said it best. Sponsors are hard to get. As I mentioned, Rob worked on this for years and has helped get it to $10,000.00. To clarify my point, I wasn't upset by teams not signing up because they couldn't do it. I was upset by hearing that "if so and so is there, I'm not going" and avoiding it out of spite. I've seen it before.
That creates a shortage of teams leaving the balance of the teams and sponsors/promoters hanging and the event fails. I was concerned that because this event had an open invitation that some were boycotting it with some kind of ban what you can and boycott what you can't mentality. I apologize for assuming the worst.
Which brings me to the comment of "why am I not slamming the other teams"? That's a catch 22. If the other teams show up, then some of the Utah BBQ teams won't. If the other teams don't show up, then the Utah teams will. If you run the numbers, we need more participation than just one organization to fill most events if they are a Jack qualifyer. Otherwise, we are short on teams and, again, the event fails. I understand that there are some issues between teams. Their fight is not my fight. If we choose who we can associate with as a group or oganization, we might as well wear red or blue bandanas and call ourselves gangsters.

It wasn't my intent to bring on the firestorm that this has created for myself or any other team, but I don't think BBQ should have this much drama. It's BBQ for crying out loud. We cook it , judges eat it & score it and if it's a good day you get some prize money. I'm sorry for any contention any of you may have with another team and I may not fully understand how that affects you. We all have our difficulties. I wouldn't wish mine on you and I sure don't want yours.

I just hope that we can come together enough as friendly competitors without battle lines being drawn by organizations so we can consistantly come up with enough teams to fill the comps.

Jesse, thanks for talking to me about this. It was late when I posted the first message and my conscience was sleeping so she couldn't check the content & context for me.
08-26-2013 08:31 PM
NDG Offline
Managing Member

Just a point of order to all of this, the Utah BBQ org and Great Western BBQ Events did not plan any events for the month of September due to the fact that this event was slated. We did not want to pull teams from other events and cause them to not have as high of numbers as possible.

David Grover
Smoking on the "Yellow Submarine"
Peace Heart BBQ

Utah BBQ Managing Member / Certified KCBS Judge
08-26-2013 09:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Smoke on the snake results Curtis Nations 12 1,295 09-17-2012 11:50 PM
Last Post: Big Johnson's BBQ
  Smoke in the Snake Pitmaster 12 1,727 09-11-2012 10:35 AM
Last Post: Pitmaster
  Smoke on the Snake Idaho BBQ Showdown 2012 SoEzzy 2 1,655 07-09-2012 08:52 PM
Last Post: SoEzzy