Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Temp help
JD Estes Offline

Temp help
    I picked up a smoker from KSL in hopes of doing some MODS I seen on line. I added a stainless steel plate in the smoker with holes of varying sizes to try and focus the heat more even. I added a coal box in the fire box to try and focus the heat that way, and you can see from the picture I posted, I added a homemade fan with a speed control to try and get the heat to distribute more even. After all that I am still getting a 50-75 degree difference from one side to the next. I bought 2 upgraded temp gauges to see if the ones I had were off, and used an oven temp gauge to triple check. Any suggestions?
12-02-2013 10:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

RE: Temp help
Which side is hotter / colder, front or back?

If you map the temperatures with the oven temp gauge!

Run the pit, take 9 temperatures, 3 on the left, 1 at the front left, one center left and one back left, repeat in the middle and an the right hand side.

That way you can see both the hot and cold spots are.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-02-2013 12:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JD Estes Offline

(12-02-2013 12:07 PM)SoEzzy Wrote:  Which side is hotter / colder, front or back?

If you map the temperatures with the oven temp gauge!

Run the pit, take 9 temperatures, 3 on the left, 1 at the front left, one center left and one back left, repeat in the middle and an the right hand side.

That way you can see both the hot and cold spots are.

Closest to the fire box I can keep a constant 275-300, but in the middle to the opposite side i lose -50
12-03-2013 09:23 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Then the holes nearest to the firebox maybe too big, get some metal scraps cover alternate holes nearest to the firebox, check your temperatures again, as you cover more holes you will shift the heat along the pit.

Anything from 25 - 35° difference and I'd not adjust more than that... it would still leave you a hot end and a cooler end, useful when cooking, if something is cooking too fast you move it from the hot to the cooler, if not cooking quickly enough you move it from the cooler part to the hotter.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-03-2013 11:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JD Estes Offline

(12-03-2013 11:18 AM)SoEzzy Wrote:  Then the holes nearest to the firebox maybe too big, get some metal scraps cover alternate holes nearest to the firebox, check your temperatures again, as you cover more holes you will shift the heat along the pit.

Anything from 25 - 35° difference and I'd not adjust more than that... it would still leave you a hot end and a cooler end, useful when cooking, if something is cooking too fast you move it from the hot to the cooler, if not cooking quickly enough you move it from the cooler part to the hotter.

I will give that a try. thank you for taking the time to help, I appreciate the feedback.
12-03-2013 04:16 PM