Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Favorite Prime Rib Recipes/Techniques
Pegleg Offline

Favorite Prime Rib Recipes/Techniques
With Christmas Eve just around the corner, I thought I'd start a thread on rubs/techniques for prime rib if anyone is willing to share; we also can't forget the Horseradish Sauce.

My family loves the flavor of simply dousing the meat with Worcestershire Sauce and covering it with Montreal Steak Seasoning, wrap it up tight in plastic and let it sit for a day or so. I then run it through my WSM with Cherry Wood, pulling it off at about 138 Deg.; after about 20 minutes the temp climbs to about 141 which puts the meat to just about medium.

Thanks in advance,

Lyle Earl
KCBS Certified Judge
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark ---- professionals built the Titanic.
12-15-2013 12:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

RE: Favorite Prime Rib Recipes/Techniques
Growing up in the woods in Western Washington the last thing this nature boy would be having for vittles was prime rib. So it was rather a shock when I attended a nice banquit at a convention and was served this totally raw piece of meat. Any meat served up at the Jacobs cabin dinner table was either shot on the run or raised in a pen and with a dad that preached "Brown is cooking, black is done" you can bet any meat that raw would be going back to the frying pan.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2013 01:27 PM by Larry Jacobs.)
12-15-2013 01:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

We did two Prime Ribs a couple of years ago that were dry aged in the refrigerator for a week. The guide lines were from a Food TV show with Alton Brown if I remember correctly. They were wrapped in cheese cloth which allowed the surface blood to leech out. After a day or so the cheese cloth was removed and the P.R. were rewrapped with new cheese cloth. It was quite a process but it was well worth it according to the guests at our banquet. We used wasabi instead of horse radish. They went in the Traeger with pecan pellets, (all I use) as fodder, smoked to 130*, which is rare, not raw, then rested. Baked potatoes, tossed green salad, and veggie sides were the meal. Brenda did one of her trifles for dessert.
Traeger has a recipe for P.R. out now too. Using hickory for the smoke. Those pieces of meat ain't cheap, so proper care and cooking make all the difference. Thinking of doing one for Christmas this year, just not as involved as the last ones.
Merry Christmas all.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
12-15-2013 01:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
T Offline
Posting Freak

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
12-15-2013 11:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Desert Magnolia Offline

For a full roast I love a paste of Olive oil, kosher salt, pepper, garlic, onion and thyme. Rub that all over and toss it into an oven at 500 for 2.5 hours pull and let rest 45 min and slice. the oil gives it a nice crispy and peppery bark that wont stop. Also you got to have fresh ground house radish. You can get it at winco. Use the food processor and open a window when you do it.

@ 85 gallon trash cans drilled and ready for action!!
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
12-16-2013 08:23 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I prefer horse radish to house radish, too much wood and brick dust when you grind house radish... if you ask me! Wink

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-16-2013 01:46 PM
Desert Magnolia Offline

well the fiber does help lol

@ 85 gallon trash cans drilled and ready for action!!
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
12-16-2013 01:57 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

This is a nice steakhouse in Flint Michigan my daughter ate at today. Notice those prices are per ounce!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
12-16-2013 07:44 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Best Prime Rib tipsforBBQ 5 2,818 03-06-2012 12:37 AM
Last Post: tipsforBBQ
  Perfect Prime Rib (must read) Guest 14 3,540 07-24-2011 09:07 AM
Last Post: Phred
  Advice on a Holiday Prime Rib Crazy Cajun 10 3,526 10-22-2007 11:52 AM
Last Post: PackerBacker