Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Firing up the UDS
Leatherneck Offline

Wink Firing up the UDS
Tomorrow I'm firing up one of my drums for a brisket for the first time in UT. Anything I should know? Should be fairly warm tomorrow so not worried about ambient temperature. Does the altitude affect the smokers at all?

Leatherneck BBQ- Just moved to Parowan, if you see some TBS rollin', that'd be me! Big Grin
01-18-2014 11:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

RE: Firing up the UDS
You don't have as much O2 in the air up here, depending on where you are in the State, you could be anywhere from 2,200' - 8,000', I think Parawan is at 5,800'.

So you will need more intake than you are used to, to be open to get to the same temperature you normally cook at.

Depending on how early you are going to be up and cooking, watch out for the increased moisture in the air from about an hour before dawn to a half hour after dawn, that extra humidity can drop your running temperature in the pit by 25 - 30°.

Just give yourself an extra hour or two for your cook compared with your old cooking times!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
01-19-2014 12:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Leatherneck Offline

It did take about 20 minutes longer to come up to temp this am. I fired more lump than usual and that seemed to help. Need to adjust from my Vegas mindset...it's not 90 degrees at 4am lol

Also I have the intakes wide open on my blower. I'm putting out more smoke than usual, but that could also be because of the warm smoke hitting the cold air

Leatherneck BBQ- Just moved to Parowan, if you see some TBS rollin', that'd be me! Big Grin
01-19-2014 09:24 AM
Leatherneck Offline

I have a bachelors in redneck science/engineering :-D

01-19-2014 09:27 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Good; you'll fit in well with the other redneck engineers round here! Wink

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
01-19-2014 03:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply