Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Becoming a Judge
jmayo1976 Offline

Lightbulb Becoming a Judge
Couple of questions. First of all would like to know if it would be beneficial at all in becoming a judge. Second of all how and where may I become certified. The 2 I see the most are these 2 -
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
I am familiar with KCBS, the other not so much, can only assume that it is Utah related. I would like to become certified not only to become familiar with the turn in process and do's and dont's. With that said wouldn't be bad to be able to judge in contest either if needed be. Any help would sure be appreciated.

I looked at a couple of other threads and a few of the links were not valid.

"Just One Man's Opinion"
Lang 48"
02-14-2014 09:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

RE: Becoming a Judge
There will be both KCBS and UtahBBQ CBJ (Certified Bbq Judge), classes this year.

The KCBS CBJ's get to judge anywhere for KCBS contests, Utah BBQ recognizes the KCBS certification, so you can also judge Utah BBQ Organization events if you have your KCBS CBJ, there are a few differences between the two styles, and we like folks to understand those differences.

By checking the KCBS site for judges classes, you can take the class at an event you are going to be near, either inside or outside the state.

For the turn in process, do you mean seeing the contents of the box's or taking them to the turn in table?

Judging is probably the only method of seeing 6 boxes at a time for each meat, lots of competitors take pictures of their box's, some will show them to the world, but a large number won't as they don't want to clue everyone in on how they create their winning boxes. It takes time and effort to develop a style that works for your display, and that's why folks are secretive about them. By judging you get to see a lot more about what it takes to make a pretty box, or an ugly box!

With the blind judging systems in place, the sanctioning bodies don't want judges to talk to teams about their scores, (in case they make an error and give incorrect information).

Which threads had invalid links?

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
02-14-2014 10:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jmayo1976 Offline

So my first question is how would I go about getting the UtahBBQ certification? Went to their page and followed a link that as I said came up invalid. I can try and find it again if you would like.

As far as the turn in process, yes what they are looking for as far as in presentation, etc. Seen many different methods and I can understand the secrecy.

I figured by learning and understanding the judging that one could better their style. I definitely have my own style but have always cooked to my liking. I have been told by others that how I cook for family & friends is some what different from competition. I understand there will definitely be a learning curve but I would like to try and shorten that curve, if you know what I mean, lol.

https://www.facebook.com/UtahBBQJudges?filter=2

If you follow that link and go to post by others, the links that say for the class information are invalid. Again if you could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. I know that in July, they are having a KCBS judging class in Holladay, Utah. My confusion is on the cost. I have seen that the classes were somewhere between $65-$90 but have had someone tell me that they were like $500.

"Just One Man's Opinion"
Lang 48"
02-15-2014 11:55 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

That's because it was the payment for the previous class, s we don't want folks signing up for a non-existant class.

We will be setting up a class this spring, we need to get 24 folks ready and interested in a class.

KCBS CBJ classes are $65 for people who are already KCBS members, $90 or $95 I've seen both prices for non members, the $500 are not for a CBJ class, those prices are competition cooking classes, (they can range from about $325 to $750).

Some of the folks that do post online do so on sites like:

http://www.bbqcritic.com/judgemybox.html

http://howtobbqright.com/buildingablindbox.html Note: The only garnish allowed in the box is:

Green leaf lettuce, (if it says romaine, iceburg, redtipped anything labeled anything other than Green Leaf Lettuce it is NOT ALLOWED in the box), cilantro, flat leaf or curly leaf parsley.

You can have a combination of any allowed garnish, but if you build your box with something other than allowed garnish, and are discovered, your box's will be disqualified.

Google Images for Judge My Box

Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
02-15-2014 02:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jmayo1976 Offline

Appreciate it!

"Just One Man's Opinion"
Lang 48"
02-15-2014 04:00 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I thought it was after years of law school, years more in practice, then maybe on to an elected position. Then possibly after all that someone notices them and they get appointed to a position of real shysterdom. Dodgy

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
02-15-2014 04:35 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Yes Gene, but there is a certain class that get you judging BBQ quicker than all those legal eagle types can run up a bill! Wink

02-15-2014 04:51 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Oh, Blush that type of Judge. Thanks for the clarification Chris.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
02-16-2014 11:38 AM
jmayo1976 Offline

So would still love to be able to have the opportunity to do the judging class. Any updates on when there will be a class for KCBS or the Utah certified?

"Just One Man's Opinion"
Lang 48"
04-02-2014 09:19 AM
snikkidee Offline

Chris -
In the "how to bbq Right" link above - he is using iceberg, not green leaf!
04-02-2014 12:52 PM
GOATTER Offline
Aspiring BBQ Pitmaster

I'm signed up for the KCBS class.

http://musicbrewsbbq.com/kcbs-certified-...ing-class/
04-02-2014 04:08 PM
jmayo1976 Offline

Thanks will have to look into that!

"Just One Man's Opinion"
Lang 48"
04-03-2014 07:07 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Please. When you get to that judging table, use common fair sense. Those cooks have worked their tired rear ends off trying to perfect their food. Please don't do the following that are actual comments from "Certified" judges. "I marked them down because:'
"I don't eat chicken."
"We judges are tired of seeing people cook muffin pan chicken."
"I think all the other judges are scoring to high so I'm marking everyone down to correct it."
"I know real BBQ. My husband cooks it and none of this food is like his."
"I gave everyone nines because it's better than I can cook."
"I'm just here because I like free food"

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
04-03-2014 10:55 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

(04-02-2014 12:52 PM)snikkidee Wrote:  Chris -

Thanks for pointing that out.

The only garnish allowed in the box is:

Green leaf lettuce, (if it says romaine, iceburg, redtipped anything labeled anything other than Green Leaf Lettuce it is NOT ALLOWED in the box), cilantro, flat leaf or curly leaf parsley.

You can have a combination of any allowed garnish, but if you build your box with something other than allowed garnish, and are discovered, your box's will be disqualified.

04-04-2014 03:40 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

(04-04-2014 03:40 PM)SoEzzy Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 12:52 PM)snikkidee Wrote:  Chris -
if you build your box with something other than allowed garnish, and are discovered, your box's will be disqualified.

Why do you think that is? Seem's like if you think cabbage would score higher, that's between you and the judges. Musta been some veggy war going on to draw that line in the sand.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
04-04-2014 09:13 PM
snikkidee Offline

I understand that red leaf detracts from the color of the BBQ, but to limit the "green" items seems strange.
04-08-2014 02:00 PM
Mugsy Offline
KCBS Master Judge

(04-08-2014 02:00 PM)snikkidee Wrote:  . . . to limit the "green" items seems strange.
I believe that it's to limit the garnish kingdom, so no palm fronds, eucalyptus, mustard greens, etc., and keep the focus on the meat.
04-09-2014 10:34 AM