Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Traeger Produces Very Little Smoke
raiderbobm1 Offline

Traeger Produces Very Little Smoke
I recently purchased a Traeger BBQ-400. Right off the bat I noticed it produces very little visible smoke. I am coming off of using a gas wood chip smoker which smoked like no other. But this thing virtually has nothing coming out of it. When I have used it there is some smoke flavor in the meat but nothing like my old smoker.

Any advice?
03-27-2014 10:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Big Johnson's BBQ Offline
Managing Member

RE: Traeger Produces Very Little Smoke
Pellet cookers do not make alot of smoke after they get up to temp but neither to the stick burners when we get them up and running right...

My Yoder makes a great smoke ring and good smoke flavor but I use good pellets that are bound with Oak and not Alder (Traeger's use Alder)

Give Steve Johnson a call at BBQ Pit Stop - he has the good stuff when it come to pellets! 801.341.7171

Pit's & Spit's 3060 - Yoder Comp BBQ Cart YS640!
KCBS Certified Judge

Sponsors:
Wasatch Front Winnebago
(Riverdale Road in Ogden)
BBQ Pit Stop
D&M Meats
03-27-2014 04:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
raiderbobm1 Offline

(03-27-2014 04:58 PM)Big Johnsons BBQ Wrote:  Pellet cookers do not make alot of smoke after they get up to temp but neither to the stick burners when we get them up and running right...

My Yoder makes a great smoke ring and good smoke flavor but I use good pellets that are bound with Oak and not Alder (Traeger's use Alder)

Give Steve Johnson a call at BBQ Pit Stop - he has the good stuff when it come to pellets! 801.341.7171

Thank you for this info. Will give them a try.
I have researched a product called a Smoke Daddy. Any experience using one of these to generate additional smoke?
03-27-2014 08:30 PM
stewartr002 Offline

I used the SmokeDaddy (big Kahuna) on my Traeger with excellent results. After trying several other smoke generators, the SmokeDaddy was the best by far. I burned hickory chips in the SmokeDaddy. Most folks wouldn't be able to tell the difference between meat smoked on my stick burner (Lang 36) and the Traeger with the Smoke Daddy installed. Highly recommended.
Randy

Randy Stewart
"Utah BBQ Org., Florida BBQ Asoc., & KCBS Certified Judge"
Green Mountain Grill Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker
Smoke On!
03-28-2014 04:42 AM
raiderbobm1 Offline

(03-28-2014 04:42 AM)stewartr002 Wrote:  I used the SmokeDaddy (big Kahuna) on my Traeger with excellent results. After trying several other smoke generators, the SmokeDaddy was the best by far. I burned hickory chips in the SmokeDaddy. Most folks wouldn't be able to tell the difference between meat smoked on my stick burner (Lang 36) and the Traeger with the Smoke Daddy installed. Highly recommended.
Randy

Again THANK YOU! The Smoke Daddy is ordered! Big Grin
03-28-2014 08:38 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Several things:
1) Smoke Daddy uses venturi action to suck the smoke out of the generator and into the cooking chamber. Because pellet smokers use outside air injected into a firepot inside the cooking chamber, there is a bit of positive pressure built up. Sometimes it is higher than the smoke inductor can overcome causing reverse flow. This was the case with my FEC100 pellet cooker. I overcame it by enlarging the Smoke Daddy (Big Kahuna) air jet and using the biggest fish aquarium air pump they had at Pet Smart.
2) As Randy pointed out, pellets burned in a stoked fire pot burn cleaner, leaving less unburned carbon to smoke the meat, thus less smoked taste. In many cases this is really good. If you are more interested in the taste of the meat and less in burping smoke two hours later, pellets are great. Many BBQ judges agree by giving pellet teams GC.
3) Don't make the mistake in thinking piles of smoke out the stack is a sign of good BBQ. When a stick burning pit is burning properly, all you will see is kind of a blue stream of hot air.
4) All pellets are different. Traeger uses 1/3 Hickory (or apple, cherry, etc) and 2/3 Alder (or Oak if made East of the Mississippi). BBQers Delight is 1/3 flavor wood and 2/3 white Oak. There are some pellets that are 100% flavor wood. BBQ Pellets.Com and Fast Eddie are several of these.
As for what you view is good smoked meat, that is totally personal. I have owned and cooked with every type smoker made (Lang, Traeger, WSM, Weber kettle, Cookshack electric, LPG boxes, etc) and my family has really settled into pellets. I run a Cookshack FEC100 and my son has a Yoder. When we camp out, the baby Traeger comes along.
Good luck in perfecting your techniques.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
03-28-2014 11:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
StephenWilson Offline

I cook on Traegeers. If you want to enhance the smoke flavor, or you want to "cold smoke" in one try one of these. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Little-Smoke...17ab69e7b) I made a couple out of Motor Cycle exhaust parts... Really.

Steve W.
03-31-2014 02:52 PM
raiderbobm1 Offline

Thank you all for the advise.

Larry - That is some great info on the pellets! Now I just have to burn through all my Traeger pellets so I can get some that have a higher percentage of the wood I want.
04-26-2014 03:30 PM