Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
WSM sand pan?
elkski Offline

WSM sand pan?
I have been cooking my pork butts at the higher temp for a few cooks now 275ish. I use a sand pan as I couldn't get it up with water. I use an IQ110 controller. Verdict still out on the IQ 110,s. So my question is on the sand. I change the foil covering but a time or two drippings have leaked into the sand. I seasoned my smoker with a small pile of coals after hosing off the winter dust inside and out buy I didn't have the sand pan in. My worry is will this dripped on sand give me an off flavor?!

Team "Smoke-n-mirrors" its all in the beers.
Life is like the smell of smoking pork. stay in the downdraft and follow the sweet smell., enjoy each bite.
KCBS #9231
04-25-2014 08:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jason N Offline

RE: WSM sand pan?
My only concern would be the amount of fat that was absorbed by the sand. I cant imagine rancid fat smelling good. You could maybe just scoop out the really soiled areas.
06-21-2014 11:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Cook it for a couple of hours with the sand pan in, hot as you want and get the sand sterilized too!

Stir the sand to make sure you get all the sand to the outside to get fully heated.

Get wider foil and put two layers over the pan and seal it well.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
06-23-2014 06:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
glenntm Offline

I wouldn't worry about the grease on the sand. We cooked on the WSM's with lava rock in the pan covered in foil and sometimes grease got on the rock. It should burn off.
06-24-2014 09:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply