Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hard Times
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Hard Times
I had the privilege of helping put on the IDOS Spring Convention at the Legacy Center yesterday. Had it not been for the Safe Kids fair going on on the lawn we would have been a ghost town. Attendance wasn't a shadow of what it was 10 years ago and I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the economy. But if you think about it, the worse the economy, the more people will turn to Dutch ovens since it has got to be a cheap way to feed your family.
So what's the answer? Has this Utah tradition interest peaked and as Dutch oven interest go, so goes BBQ interest in Utah? I hope not but one thing was pointed out clearly, more attention has to be paid to backyard cooking and less to contests. Contests are fine for those that like that sport but that only makes up single digit percentage of the public. In all cases outreach like public events, cooking with samples in front of a sports or farm supply store seem to spark the most interest.
Ask your self this question: How can UBBQO best get the public activated enough to join our ranks? If they are not wanting to compete in a cook-off, what inventive is there to lay down money?
I believe KCBS except for their traveling trailer is %100 percent contest oriented. The only reason anyone drops $35 a year is to cook or eat. Is this what we want?
Inquiring minds want to know.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
05-04-2014 08:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Desert Magnolia Offline

RE: Hard Times
They had a convention? I think its less economy and more marketing. You cannot attract new people into something if they don't know about it. I said something on facebook several months ago about learning to do Dutch oven. With all the people I know (that are even World Champs) I got directed to books and you tube.

@ 85 gallon trash cans drilled and ready for action!!
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
05-07-2014 01:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Phred Offline

I for one would like to see more get togethers just to enjoy the great food and for the social aspect. I've judged in the past, however I've never participated in a contest because I spend my entertainment budget on other things. It is not cheap to participate in a contest. My two cents worth.

Phred
06-05-2014 09:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fidel_astorga Offline
Managing Member

One of the things that I have a hard time with in bbq competition in Utah is that people who come out to these events can not buy the food we are cooking. Yes we can give it away but not everyone can do that because you will end up losing tons of $$$$$. I wish we could find a way where we as the cooks could vend our food with out braking the bank on having to get permits, and licenses for each event and every county.

We need to figure out how to make it work for the Vendor/cooks and the public with out spending tons of cash for an event done once a month. I think that would greatly improve the bbq in Utah, if anyone has and ideas I would love to hear them!
-Thanks

CHICKEN BUTT BBQ UTAH
Lucy Lang 60" DLX Long Neck 40" Char Grill
KCBS Certified Judge
KCBS Certified Table Captain
UTAH BBQ Org Certified Judge
fidel@utahbbq.org
"Powered by Maxwell" Angel
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 10:13 AM by fidel_astorga.)
06-05-2014 10:10 AM
grooovy212 Offline

@ Desert Magnolia, David and I have a standing invitation to anyone who wants to learn how to Dutch Oven Cook all you need to do is ask. We have opened up our home on several occasions to people who are interested in learning.

There is also Dutch Oven classes offered by Colleen Sloan (Log Cabin Grub) in the evening hours. If you are interested in taking one of her classes let me know and I will get you the information.

If you are interested in learning the basics of Dutch Oven you are more then welcome to come talk to me or David, we would be happy to teach you anything you would like to know.

There are many Youtube videos and tons of books out there for both BBQ and Dutch Oven but nothing beats hands on learning in my opinion.

Jamie
06-05-2014 10:19 AM
bradgreer Offline

I think from my standpoint that Fidel is right on the money. If people knew that they could come to an event and sample some great food at a reasonable price it would be good for everyone involved. It would allow the cooks to recoup a little money (good now that meat prices are going way up) and it might get the public more interested in getting involved.

Poke it N Smoke it bbq team
KCBS CBJ 67886
06-05-2014 12:38 PM