Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Too much smoke?
Txtobler Offline

Too much smoke?
I've been reading for a while. Thanks for allowing me in.

I have a new Yoder offset smoker. I used to smoke on an electric barrel and just indirect grilling, so I'm new to using a stick burner. So my first couple adventures the "bark" on the meat has been indelible.Sad This last time I did 4.2 lb baby back ribs at 250 degrees for 2 hours, and then wrapped in foil for another 2.

For one I think I just cooked to long, but it seemed I got a lot of smoke penetration even after wrapping in foil. Should I be using less wood and more charcoal at the end?

I don't think it's the wood. I got properly seasoned apple wood from a dealer in Lehi, and I get good TBS after a few minutes of white smoke when you first put it on.

Any advice is appreciated!
05-11-2014 08:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GOATTER Offline
Aspiring BBQ Pitmaster

RE: Too much smoke?
Is your pit dirty? When I had similar issues I could wipe my finger on the inside of my pit either an empty grate or wall and taste the nastiness.

To solve the problem I degreased my pit and re seasoned it. I have heard of others spraying out their cookers at the car wash.
05-11-2014 08:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Muse Offline

My question is: Did you have the exhaust of the chamber limited? I have had bitter tastes because I closed off the exhaust too much. I now cook with the exhaust fully open and regulate the temp by just adjusting the opening in to the firebox.
Hope this helps. Best of luck with dialing in the new toy.
05-11-2014 03:24 PM
Txtobler Offline

Thanks guys. My exhaust is wide open and my pit can't be that dirty because it's brand new. I'm gonna remain skeptical of the wood quality and cut down on my cooking times for now, but any other ideas are welcome.
05-11-2014 06:16 PM