Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Local Pellets
raiderbobm1 Offline

Local Pellets
Who can tell me where to get Pellets locally that are 100% real wood with no fillers or additives?

I am not a competition smoker so I do not need a large quantity.

I tried BBQ Pitstop but they do not carry them.

Thanks!
06-23-2014 03:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Desert Magnolia Offline

RE: Local Pellets
A pellet has to have some kind of filler or binder to keep its shape. Otherwise it ends up being a bag of saw dust. At leat that's what I read over and over back when I was looking at new cookers.

@ 85 gallon trash cans drilled and ready for action!!
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
06-23-2014 03:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Try Sportsman's Warehouse, they have pellets, I'm not sure what brand they carry, I think Costco may have them too.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
06-23-2014 06:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

As far as real 100% wood....all of them are. The term filler is just used to show the percentage of wood used that is not the flavor given. Like BBQers Delight in their Hickory pellets they use 1/3rd saw dust from Hickory wood and 2/3rd saw dust from White Oak. East of the Mississippi most companies use Oak while in the west they use Alder. Now Oak and Alder are not really evil as a lot of people use those woods 100% in their cooking, it's just rather expensive to make 100% Hickory pellets and the so called "filler" woods tend to lower the burning temperature.
As for additives........there aren't any. The natural resins in the wood come out under high pressures and act as binders. The only thing added at the mill is a little food grade vegetable oil to keep the dies lubricated.
There are companies that sell 100% pellets such as Cookinpellets.com and Fast Eddie, the guy that perfected the pellet pooper in contesting.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
06-23-2014 07:20 PM
Desert Magnolia Offline

Good info Larry. Who knows if I had found that I might be using a pooper rather than drums.

@ 85 gallon trash cans drilled and ready for action!!
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
06-24-2014 10:51 AM