Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
chicken tasting like creosote
jeff k Offline

chicken tasting like creosote
I have a brinkman offset smoker and im having a haed time with my chicken tasting like the charcoal am I using to much charcoal and not enough wood any tips would be much appreciated
06-27-2014 08:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GOATTER Offline
Aspiring BBQ Pitmaster

RE: chicken tasting like creosote
Clean your cooker before your next cook. The nasty taste will still be in the seasoning after you get your flame adjusted correctly.

A good smoke will be mostly clear or a blue color. The bad smoke will be white colored.

You'll have to experiment with different combinations of wood and charcoal to find what works best for you.
06-28-2014 09:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jeff k Offline

thanks for the tip I will give it a shot
06-28-2014 12:37 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Chicken more than any other meat will take on the taste of fuel. Even the look is easy to mess up. I've done cooks with ribs or brisket that turn out great but the chicken is covered with black a ash. Try starting your cools outside the cooker so they aren't giving off smoke into the meat.
Your original complaint was a creosote taste. This comes from poor smoke control. Always leave the stack vent open and control the burn using the firebox vents. The best smoke is the smoke you can't see. The perfect wood smoke is transparent hot air with a slight blue color. A lot of people think the meat is cooked by lots of smoke. Not so, meat is cooked by heat put off by wood and flavored by the unburnt particles in the exhausting gas,

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook"
Lang 60
FEC100
WSM
Traeger
06-28-2014 02:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
glenntm Offline

We cook our chicken on the Backwoods and use Kingsford Blue Bag. We let it burn for 1 hour prior to adding meat to the smoker. We are looking for clear smoke. Then will add no more than 1-2 chunks. Less it better sometimes. Especially, with chicken.
06-28-2014 11:16 PM
jeff k Offline

thanks guys i really appreciate the tips i will put them to good use
06-30-2014 11:05 AM
bradgreer Offline

+1 on waiting an hour before putting meat on. Make sure that your fire is "clean" before putting anything on, otherwise you can pick up an off flavor and sometime an off color. Think dark.

Just my .02

Poke it N Smoke it bbq team
KCBS CBJ 67886
07-01-2014 09:18 AM