Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A BBQ Rookie
Impalaguy Offline

A BBQ Rookie
Greetings everyone. My name is Jeff and I am a new BBQ enthusiast. I consider myself a pretty decent griller, but real BBQ is what I want to learn. I have only used gas grills and I am looking to get into either a smoker or a charcoal grill/smoker combo. I see a gas smoker ( Smoky Monutain I believe) that I think might be a nice beginner setup. I am sure this has been asked a thousand times but what recommendations would you all have for a novice like myself?
I just found this board today and I look forward to learning from all of you. Thank you for your time.
~Jeff
03-09-2010 01:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BBQMama Offline

Re: A BBQ Rookie
If you're looking for a gasser, take a peek at the Camp Chef Smoke Vault. Sportsmen's Warehouse has them for around $250 for the largest model. For charcoal cooking, a Weber Smokey Mountain bullet cooker (WSM) or the barrel smokers (UDS) are what a lot of us use.

One thing you'll find on here ... there are a LOT of opinions. I'd highly recommend coming out to one of the competitions we are having in the area this year, seeing some of the different cookers in action, and doing as much talking to folks as you can. With any luck we'll turn you into a smoker collector like the rest of us. LOL

Welcome to the forum!

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
03-09-2010 01:31 PM
Impalaguy Offline

Thank you for the ideas and the welcome! I would love to attend a competition or 12. I will keep an eye out to see when and where. I do have to admit that my new obsession comes from all the new TV shows about Q'ing but I have always loved the taste. I grew up in Midvale and spent more than one meal at Joe Morley's. Thanks again!
03-09-2010 01:42 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

BBQMama Wrote:One thing you'll find on here ... there are a LOT of opinions.
:lol: Thats just your opinion, LOL :lol: ( We like to joke around alot!)

Yes exactly what she said. Welcome to the forum and there are a great bunch of folks here.
If you have any questions, just ask!
If you really want to get involed quickly, we are in need of volunteers to help out.
Here is a link to the "Volunteers Needed" post.
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.utahbbq.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2678">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2678</a><!-- l -->
Once again, Welcome!

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
03-09-2010 01:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Rookie from Utah County Muse 9 411 05-14-2014 09:21 AM
Last Post: Muse