Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Chicken
The BBQ Dude Offline

Chicken
I am looking for a good chicken recipe... I need to have it not be too hot because of the request of some of the people attending...

Any help is greatly appreciated....
02-21-2010 07:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Re: Chicken
Are you going to grill or smoke them? Whole or separate pieces?
02-21-2010 10:58 PM
Quote this message in a reply
The BBQ Dude Offline

I am going to smoke them. I was looking at doing breat or quarters... Haven't decided what cut yet..
02-22-2010 08:31 AM
Unregistered

A basic way to do chicken is to marinate the chicken over night in some kind of Italian dressing. Add your favorite rub and smoke the chicken at a higher temperature so the skin will not be rubbery. You can also spray a little lemon butter on as you go and when you are just about done bast the chicken with your favorite mix of bbq sauce.

You can also do a lemon-honey marinade, a olive oil and herb marinade the options are endless. For a basting, you can also add anything you like to it such as pineapple, hot or mild peppers, make it real sweat with honey and/or brown sugar.

Good luck man and show us some pictures!
02-22-2010 08:53 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Here's a different idea with similar juicy results.

Brine the chicken pieces first, spritz or brush with oil, then a simple rub and smoke them till they are cooked.

Brining

Chickens nowdays are raised very quickly to a market weight using carefully formulated feed. These chickens do not have the flavor of those old-time barnyard hunt-and-peckers. There is no doubt that brining poultry leads to a more flavorful and juicy end product.

The brining process forces water into the muscle tissues of the meat by a process known as diffusion and osmosis. This additional moisture causes the muscle tissues to swell and hold more water. The resulting water in the muscle tissues will make the meat more moist and tender. Any spices herbs or other flavorings you add to the brine solution will get taken deep into the meat with the water.

The following is a tried and tested chicken brine recipe.

1 gallon water

3/4 cup kosher salt

2/3 cup sugar

3/4 cup soy sauce

1 teaspoon each of dried tarragon, thyme, black pepper

1/4 cup olive oil

Start by boiling the water and then adding the salt and sugar, so that it will dissolve easier. Then add the spices to the hot liquid so that the flavors are extracted. Cool the brine solution.

Place the brine solution into a non-reactive container and immerse the chicken in the brine, weighting it down if necessary. (Use a heavy plate or a brick inside a ziploc bag as a weight). Place the container into the refrigerator and leave for 10 hours. You can also brine the chicken in an ice chest, by pouring the brine solution into the ice chest, immersing the chicken and weighting down. (Use ziploc bags filled with ice cubes, or "blue ice" to keep the brining solution cool during the brining process.

Upon completion of the brining time remove the chicken from the brine and wash twice for at least 30 seconds in fresh water. Dry the chicken with paper towels.

A few things that you need to be remember when brining:

Make sure your brine does not contain too much salt. The salty flavor of a brine is typically offset by using some kind of sweetening agent such as sugar, honey, maple syrup etc.
Do not leave the chicken in the brine for too long or you will end up with a very mushy and salty end product.
Make sure you wash the chicken in fresh water for 30 seconds, at least twice after you remove it from the brine.
Be careful about using acidic products in your brines as these will begin to ‘cook’ the meat and result in a mushy end product.
Brining must take place at temperatures of 40 degrees or below. Only place your chicken into the brining solution once it is cold. You can cool the brining solution in the refrigerator or by using ziploc bags filled with ice cubes.
Ensure that the brine solution completely covers the chicken during the brining process.
Some guidelines if you are not brining chicken halves are as follows:

Chicken Parts 1 ½ hours
Chicken Breasts 1 hour
Cornish Game Hens 2 hours

Spritz or brush with EVOO especially the skin side.

Simple rub;

2 tablespoons non-iodized salt (Kosher or Sea salt)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground thyme
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper

This is not a hot and spicy rub, try it out and see if it works for you, sometimes I'll use poultry seasoning to replace the sage, this gives a more complex flavor, and sage can sometimes be more powerful than I like.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
02-22-2010 10:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Brining is a great way to go if you have the time. No two ways about it, it makes some of the juiciest meat!
02-22-2010 06:14 PM
afrazier5 Offline

I think this is probably the most detailed brining procedure I've seen yet - thanks for sharing it!

Back Alley BBQ
West Valley Utah
03-10-2010 03:04 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

You're welcome... I got the info on brining from here <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.3men.com/competition%20chicken.htm">http://www.3men.com/competition%20chicken.htm</a><!-- m --> but the rub, I can't remember where I stole that from! :oops:

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
03-10-2010 04:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply