2 tbs whole peppercorns
1 1/2 tbs dry thyme
6 crumbled bay leaves
2 tsp whole cloves
1/4 cup of minced garlic
1Qt of water
3/4 cup of brown sugar
3/4 cup of kosher salt
1/4 tsp sodium nitrate / nitrite mix, the brine is per flat.

I got a 5.03lb and a 6.06lb pair of trimmed flats.

I'm going with 14 day cure, then they'll get rinsed with sliced potatoes for 6 - 8 hours.

Then they will get rubbed with.

4 tbs kosher salt
4 tbs paprika
3 tbs coriander seeds
3 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs black peppercorns
2 tbs yellow mustard seeds
1 tbs white peppercorns
8 cloves garlic, minced, each flat.

Then smoke for 4 - 5 hours, then put into a pan on a cooling rack, with 2 cups of water and foil over the pans to steam for 2 hours.

Allow to cool, chill to firm up the meat, then slice with the slicer and chow down!

I know Sampson will be all over me about no "pictures didn't happen"! well I didn't have my camera on hand when I started them out, but here are the pictures of them on Wednesday when they got their first turn.

Here's the first turn, I didn't have my cable at home so I had to take them to work to download the pictures Thursday.

[Image: pastrami021110a.jpg]

[Image: pastrami021110b.jpg]

[Image: pastrami021110c.jpg]

Next turn Friday night.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
02-12-2010 09:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wallywombat Offline

Re: Pastrami in the making!
Definitely something I would love to try...
02-12-2010 11:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
imfree2q Offline

Re: Pastrami in the making!
I love home made Pastrami.. Good job looks like they will be very good.. I need to get on the ball and get me some going. Generally I have made it at least twice by now.. But sadly I guess I'm lazy this year.. Hope we see end product pic's..

Happy Q-in..
Mel

Mel Jensen
JensenPit custom BBQ smokers
801-589-7423
Plain City, Utah
jensenpits@gmail.com
Facebook.com/JensenPit

"Dont over think it or you'll ruin it"
02-21-2010 10:16 AM
Rockin' C BBQ Offline

RE: Pastrami in the making!
What is "rinsed with sliced potatoes"? I've never made pastrami.

Cam
04-13-2011 11:02 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

If you put raw sliced potato into a dish it will help draw the salt out of the dish, very useful for over salted foods.

When you rinse the Pastrami, it helps to use running water and potato slices, some folks swear it doesn't work, and some others even do it with a potato flake rub to help draw the salt, (mashed potato flakes).

I now tend to cure my Pastrami 8 days, it is fully cured but doesn't tend to be really over salty, once rinsed.

Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
04-13-2011 01:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rockin' C BBQ Offline

Thanks for the info. That makes a lot of sense to me. I might be making some pastrami soon cause my mouth is watering.
04-13-2011 02:21 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I haven't done any this year, but bringing back this post made my mouth water today too!

As soon as the brisket price drops, I'm going to grab some and do another batch.

Cause I loves me some Pastrami!Wink

04-13-2011 05:08 PM
nub2bbq Offline

Nice!

Back in 82' BB-Q Team
I, Mike Haman being a respiratory therapist , fully endorse smoking as part of a healthy lifestyle. Light em' up boyz!
(And NO that is not me in the avatar! ;>)
-------------------------------------------------
04-16-2011 10:19 PM
elkski Offline

What! starting a post like this and no end pics?? that sounds like something I would do.

Team "Smoke-n-mirrors" its all in the beers.
Life is like the smell of smoking pork. stay in the downdraft and follow the sweet smell., enjoy each bite.
KCBS #9231
07-22-2011 06:40 AM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36630 the pictures were taken and displayed... just not here! Wink

07-22-2011 01:34 PM
crashpilot
Unregistered

Chris,

Thanks for the pics, looks sorta like my old Silver Smoker. lol

Do you think soaking the meat in the brine is sufficient? Do you think there would have been anything to gain by injecting some brine into the brisket before soaking it?
07-26-2011 08:43 AM
Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

It sits in the cure, it is a brine but also has Mortons Tenderquick or Prague Powder, I can't remember which I used on that batch, I have both.

There are some folks that just use a salt brine and inject about every inch across the meat, these are often then cured in 2 or 3 days, I did one with injection, (just after I bought my first injector), but I was not as fond of the finished product, as I found I had left streaks of the higher salt flavor throughout the meat.

With the 8 - 10 day cure, I find the meat is cured all the way through, and there is no difference in taste from one side to the other.

This was the recipe I've used the most for pastrami. http://bbq.about.com/cs/barbecuetips/a/aa022302a.htm

With one added fact, I now do my pastrami, with the 8 - 10 day cure, more often 8 than 10, but 10 is what I allow just in case, http://bbq.about.com/od/brinerecipes/r/bl20223a.htm brine recipe, (where is says Saltpeter that's the nitrates and nitrites of the Prague powder, or replace the salt and saltpeter with Morton's Tenderquick), I rinse thoroughly in running water for 4 - 6 hours, the water just needs to be running a dribble all the time or keep changing the water every 60 minutes, you can add potato slices if you want to, (I do because my Grandma told me it helped draw the salt out of the meat, some say it makes no difference, but they never had to listen to my Grandma)! Once you have smoked it, I put it into a pan on a cooling rack, I then add water to 1/2 way up the legs of the rack, lid it with foil, and cook on another 3 - 4 hours, to fully tenderize the meat, it is then allowed to cool down, refrigerated over night, chilled for 30 minutes in the freezer the next day, and then sliced on the electric slicer.

The best pastrami I've made, went on two meals for the family, and a light snack for half of us! That was about 1lb of meat each, seconds or thirds on the plate! Blush

07-26-2011 09:32 AM
crashpilot
Unregistered

(07-26-2011 09:32 AM)SoEzzy Wrote:  With the 8 - 10 day cure, I find the meat is cured all the way through, and there is no difference in taste from one side to the other.

I was asking this question because of the density of the meat. I didn't get that into my question but you read my mind and figured it out anyway. Thanks for answering.
07-26-2011 04:52 PM
Quote this message in a reply