Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
QN4U Class
Admin
Unregistered

QN4U Class
Hi Folks

There is going to be a class taught locally by Brent and Kim Walton of the Competition BBQ team QN4U.

There will be a maximum limit of 25 teams total.

Cost for a 2 person team $300 or $250 if Utah Association Members (Dues Paid Members).

Here is the flyer with more information and the application form.

The class will fill on a first paid first come basis, so get your applications in as when it's full, it's full!

Class Date: April 30 – May 1, 2010

Location: Carrier Transicold of Utah, 700 South 5209 West, Salt Lake City, UT

Start Time: Class begins at 4:00pm.

Description:

There is a mixture of lectures and demonstrations on everything from meat selection, rubs and sauces, to turn-in box preparation.
There will also be one-on-one instruction at each cook site while cooking overnight.
This will be run in the fashion of a KCBS BBQ competition with turn-in times and judging of each entry.
Awards will be handed out. As a special bonus, Brent and Kim will be providing dinner for each participant.
Electricity may be provided (at additional cost) so come prepared with your own.
Applications and payment due: March 15, 2010

Here's the PayPal payment page for the QN4U class.

QN4U Class Fees!
12-02-2009 03:31 PM
Quote this message in a reply
BBQMama Offline

Re: QN4U Class
This class has been taken by the likes of our own Jaybird and Rhythm 'n Que. This is an opportunity to get some great hands-on training just in time for the competition season. Can't wait to finally get to attend this course!

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
12-02-2009 06:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Guys, This is going to be a great class! There will be a lot of good information tought that night.
Also, don't forget to send in your Utah BBQ membership. The $35 membership will save you $50 on the class!
Hope to se you all there.
Mike

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
12-02-2009 10:33 PM
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

I am very excited about this class. I am talking with my brother to see if he will take it with me. The date is free on my calendar and I have blocked it out. Now, I have to come up with the money.

Am I correct in assuming that this class will involve "hands on" training - meaining that I will need to bring a smoker and all cook prep items? How about meat?

Is there someone who might have a UDS or WSM that I could use? I am traveling from southern Idaho and I couldn't fit that stuff in my little car (have to leave the van with my wife and the kids).

THanks.
12-08-2009 05:07 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

You need to provide the meat you want to cook.

As to a UDS or WSM, I'm sure we can cover your needs, I'll have spare UDS's on hand, and I could find a WSM if that's your preference.

Must be a really small car if a WSM wont break down to fit in.. have you got a Smart car or something? :lol:

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-08-2009 07:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Man, that would be awsome to attend. Maybe some other time. Just getting into the hot weather then so A/C time is fast and furious.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
12-09-2009 03:02 PM
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

SoEzzy Wrote:Must be a really small car if a WSM wont break down to fit in.. have you got a Smart car or something? :lol:

Good point. I could probably fit the WSM into my car. But, honestly, I have loved my UDS so much more. I use it more and would prefer to learn from the master on that. If there was one that I could use I would prefer that (I don't want to put anyone out). Otherwise, I'll bring ol' reliable.

TDQ
12-09-2009 03:07 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

You wont be putting me out, other than having to pick it up and put it in the trailer, one UDS or two? Tongue

They are single grate ones at the moment, but I've the time and inclination to make them double grate ones with kettle lids, we'll see haw that goes over the next month or two.

Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
12-09-2009 03:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

For clarification purposes only!

There have been several questions about costs and the possibilities of piggybacking.

The costs are $250 for a two person team that are paid members of the Utah BBQ Association, or $300 for a two person team that are not members of the UTBBQA.

If the team has more than two members, who want to attend the additional $125 or $150 are for the additional team member.

Piggybacking a second team with only a single member on a two man team is not allowed, and we don't expect it to happen!

12-11-2009 03:02 PM
duners88 Offline

Would this class only be benefitial to Q'rs that have a lot of experience and are looking to enter competitions or improve competition skills, or would it be worth while for someone like me who just started BBQ and thought, until recently, that grilling and BBQ were synonyms?
12-11-2009 05:04 PM
bwinther Offline
Managing Member

It is my understanding that this class is good for all levels. If you have any interest in competition, then this is a must do. Others feel free to chime in.

Brian

Brian

HQO
Gotta have it
2013 Utah's Representative to the Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational BBQ Competition
KCBS Certified Judge
Managing Member
12-11-2009 05:32 PM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Well, if you are just learning that there is a difference between grilling and BBQ, you definitely need this class!
There is so much information at one of these classes.
Guys will tell you that no matter how many of these that they attend, they always learn something new.

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
12-11-2009 09:10 PM
gene01 Offline

This class will benefit all levels, I have known Brent and Kim since they started competing, they are awsome people and awsome cooks, you will learn a lot no matter where you are now, you will be a better cook after the class......

Gene G.
12-21-2009 07:59 PM
ThomEmery Offline

I have organized the class for Brent and Kim three times
It is amazing how much progress those that pay attention
and PRACTICE make........
Highly recommend
12-26-2009 07:59 AM
VisionQuest220 Offline

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

I would like to take this opportunity to highly endorse this class to people at any and all levels of skill regardless of whether you are already a competition barbeque cook, would like to become one or just want to know how to cook some excellent barbeque in your own backyard.

Alexa and I first took this class in early 2007 after having only a single competition under our belt. Basically, we were so green that we didn't know how much we really didn't know. This class became the foundation upon which we've built our team. Since that time, we've attended this class on two more occasions, each time having gotten tangible value for our time and money. We will be attending Brent and Kim's class for a fourth time in late January 2010 in Phoenix.

We can honestly say that we would not have achieved the kind of success our team has enjoyed were it not for the knowledge we gained at this class. We hope you'll seriously consider attending and taking your barbeque to a whole new level!

Rhythm 'n QUE
All WSMs . . . All The Time!
12-30-2009 03:25 PM
Three4Que Offline

Is there a list yet of how many slots are left open?

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
01-02-2010 12:16 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo, "the early bird catches the worm" don't cha know?

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
01-02-2010 09:37 PM
BBQMama Offline

:!: *Bumping back up* :!:

Folks ... at this time we've got 5 or 6 confirmed teams with another 3 - 5 teams who have committed but not yet paid. Signup for the class has been open exclusively for UTBBQ Association members, but we will be posting the class in the next month's KCBS Bullsheet and we expect that it will fill up quickly after that.

So ... if you want to ensure that you get a spot in this class which will definitely give you a leg up in the coming competition season, please get your registration forms in ASAP. We must have everyone registered and paid by the end of February in order to give us time to get the money to Brent and Kim on time. An option to pay your entry fee via Paypal should be available in the next week.

This is a great opportunity ... don't let it pass you by. Just as a reminder, the cost of the class if $250/2 person team for Association Members, and $300/2 person team for non-paying Members. Additional team members may attend at a cost of $100/each for Association members, and $125/each for non-members.

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
01-17-2010 11:50 AM
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

WA HOOO!!! Thanks for the last post. I used it as leverage - told my wife the class was filling and that I needed to know ASAP!! The end result: Team Tour de Que is in!! My brother and I are going to do this. SoEzzy, I'll take you up on the offer to use a UDS or two. As we get closer to that time, we can coordinate the details.

I am looking for an association membership application so that I can just do this whole thing at the same time. I found one from 2008, is that the same as the current application? $50 for a team?

Finally, I am EXTREMELY green when it comes to stuff like this. Will there be a list or something so that I can know what I need to bring? Meat? Seasonings? Turnin boxes? Do we just sleep on site? Do we even get to sleep or do us newbies have to watch the smokers of you ol' timers while you sleep?

Thanks. I am EXCITED!!!!

Also, if the timing works out, perhaps we can all go for a bike ride (the pedal kind) around Lake Utah after the judging is complete on Saturday. Nothing like good Que followed by a good bike ride!!!
01-18-2010 09:11 AM
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

That is awesome that you will be able to make it.
Here is a link to the membership application:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.utahbbq.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2598">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2598</a><!-- l -->

Thanks

Now, I do like that idea about the newbees staying up all night watching the smokers!
Us old guys need all the sleep we can get!

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
01-18-2010 09:42 AM
Steve in Denver Offline

Any new team can benefit from a class. We host one every year. Not that that makes any difference, other than we have had 6 member teams (maybe 8 teams) be invited to the Jack Daniels in the last 4 years. BBQ class, money required, no problem. Unless you are serious about getting an invite to the American Royal or the Jack Daniels and you really want to improve your capabilities in even the comps you cook locally. Take the class, you can make back the admission fee in one contest, if you pay attention, take notes and pay attention to details. Serious bbq...??? Take the class. I don't care who puts it on, or who the teacher is, you will learn a bunch.
Steve
01-18-2010 09:14 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo Steve, ,welcome to the forum, for those of you that don't know who this cat is it's "Denver Cajun BBQ Krewe". You have seen his post on Basso's forum as well as others. Have a look around man, and once again thanks for stopping by

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
01-19-2010 03:48 PM
Desert Magnolia Offline

Is there still a place left in the class? I know these can fill up quick all the sudden.

@ 85 gallon trash cans drilled and ready for action!!
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
01-22-2010 04:48 PM
Tour de Que Offline
Account not Activated

My applicaiton and payment will be sent out soon. I am just waiting on my cousin to check his scheudle and wife for permission. Please hold a spot for Tour de Que - Amature BBQ Enthusiests.
01-22-2010 04:49 PM
Three4Que Offline

If there is anyone wanting to team up for this class, to get the cost down a bit and maybe form a competition team, just PM me. I'd like to go so I can learn more and get some practice in. Money is tight as I've had to buy a house now that the divorce is final. I'm looking to either join with a veteran team or a newbie team that would like to try and compete with the big boys or in the backyard category.

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
01-22-2010 11:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Last call for teams to attend the QN4U Class BBQMama 1 466 04-26-2010 09:58 AM
Last Post: BBQMama
  QN4U Class Admin 45 7,860 04-14-2010 10:37 AM
Last Post: SoEzzy
  QN4U Class - IMPORTANT UPDATE SmokinJoe 20 4,345 04-21-2008 11:39 AM
Last Post: T