Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Inaugural Smoke on my UDS
bpuska Offline

Inaugural Smoke on my UDS
Ok it's not a new discovery but it is new to me. Thanks to my new friend BigRed for building me a sweet new UDS.

[attachment=1]

I picked out a nice little boston butt for my inaugural smoke celebration. :lol: I'm in the middle of it now...153 degrees and climbing. Couple more hours and dinner is on!. I am making a nice Tennessee style bbq sauce to go with it....a little vinegar kick!! :shock:

It's working well so far. My first time on a UDS. Still trying to figure out the fire control. Using lump charcoal from Standard wood. Figuring out the air control to dial in the temp. Struggling a bit. I was at Lowe's this afternoon and picked up a bag of Kingsford Competition Charcoal. I will give that a try next time. I will let you know how it finishes up and most importantly how it tastes. If you can find me come by and I will share!!! :wink:
[attachment=0]
01-31-2010 05:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigRed Offline

Re: Inaugural Smoke on my UDS
Wow, now THAT's a nice looking UDS!!! :wink:

Remember when you make an adjustment to the air intake it takes about 15-20 minutes to realize that temp change. If you expect the temps to swing quicker than that you'll be chasing them back and forth all day.

Also, personally I don't get too bent on hitting the magical temperature I'm wishing for. If I want to cook a butt at like 235º and the smoker settles in at 245º I just go with it. I'd rather have it a little hotter or cooler, than chase the temps back and forth forever. YMMV.

Smoke on!

KCBS Certified Barbeque Judge
01-31-2010 07:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigRed Offline

I snapped a bunch of pics before you came and picked it up.
Here they are if you want to see some detailed shots of your build: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/randyhall/sets/72157623199455657/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/randyhall/ ... 199455657/</a><!-- m -->

How's that pork butt doing now? I have 2 butts and 3 racks of St. Louis cut spares on mine right now. Ribs are done but the butts are being stubborn. Gonna be another hour or so on those.

Let us know how it turns out. Sounds yummy with the hot Tennessee.

01-31-2010 08:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bpuska Offline

Just had a nice pulled pork sandwich. Not bad for my first UDS smoke. I need to work on temp control. Think I am going to try the Comp. briquettes next. Never felt I could get it settled in at a temp. Swinging from 200 to 280. my skills....not the UDS.

curious about others UDS experience and technique of fire control. What is everyone else doing to get good smoke and stable temps?
01-31-2010 09:30 PM
willisbp Offline

With my UDS the key has been charcoal control. I start with a weed burner and get a 4 inch circle of brickets nice and white. I leave the top off till it's preheated and close till the desired temp.

I cap the top and give the smoker 30 min or so to find it's happy place. Mine likes 250 with the ball valve wide open. Each cap I take off gives me another 100 degrees.

The smoker likes to slowly work from the top down. I can easily get 15-20 hours out of my 12 inch basket. As the charcoal get's old you may see a plateau or dip until you knock off the old ash.

Hope this helps.
02-08-2010 04:12 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I base my temperature on the skinny charcoal starter.

1/2 a chimney starter = 250*
3/4 chimney starter = 275*
full chimney starter = 300*

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
02-08-2010 04:30 PM
afrazier5 Offline

You'll love the new UDS BP! I've been using my UDS since last summer and love the results each time. I usually start with a full chimney full of unlit coals in the basket then dump a full lit chimney on top of it all with a couple 2" cherry/apple branches. After dumping it in with all vents open (I have 3, 1 of which is a ball valve), I give it about 30 mins to settle then close off 1 vent plus close my adjustable about 1/4 of the way. Another 30 minutes will usually give me a good temp of around 260 which I will then drop my meat on. Keep in mind after loading it up, the temps will drop and it will likely take another 30 minutes to an hour to settle down. I'll usually watch it every half hour for the first 2 hours of cooking and make any minor adjustments with the ball valve.

Your wind and outside temps will come into play with all of this too so if it's too cold, wrap either an old blanket or a hot water heater insulating blanket around it to keep it a bit more insulated. During the winter, I've used mine several times and have just wrapped mine in an old canvas tarp which is working great thus far. I also have mine on a furniture dolly to make moving it around easier and will turn it into the wind to make sure to give it good air flow.

I did just make a new fire basket for mine yesterday as I was using an OLD smokey joe base with a ton of holes drilled in it. It really was the poster child of UGLY! I would average about 5 hours of cook time before it would start to choke out due to poor ash control. With this new basket, it should resolve that to where I'm hopeful to get a near full cook on a butt without having to do much outside of shaking it a bit to clear the ash out. I can't figure out how to attach a pic but here's the link to photo's: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=38...88fe8a702f

BigRed - where did you get the drum and how did you prep it? Was it lined or bare steel? I picked mine up at Wasatch Barrel but it was painted with a rust inhibitor inside and out so had to burn it like heck to get all of that out (wife's a bit mad with the circle of dead grass in the yard! :oops: )

Back Alley BBQ
West Valley Utah
02-20-2010 12:00 PM
BigRed Offline

afrazier5 Wrote:BigRed - where did you get the drum and how did you prep it? Was it lined or bare steel? I picked mine up at Wasatch Barrel but it was painted with a rust inhibitor inside and out so had to burn it like heck to get all of that out (wife's a bit mad with the circle of dead grass in the yard! :oops: )

I usually get my 55's from a place up by the airport. I forget their name. They are unlined and have the lightest rust inhibitor I have found on them. It burns out fine and then you can season it. Sometimes I buy 85's from Wasatch. They seem to have better prices on the larger drums. But the rust inhibitor seems to be a little heavier and they are slightly different drums.

Wasatch will order completely bare steel drums for you from the manufacturer in Illinois, but they cost more and you will likely need to pay extra freight charges. The nice thing with those (in addition to being bare metal) is they also omit the lid gasket, which I find can be a real pain. The foam gasket itself comes out easy enough with acetone or WD40, but depending on who manufactured the drum, the rubber cement used to secure the gasket can be a real pain to remove. And if you try to burn it out with a torch or even a heat gun you'll end up tacoing your lid. Ask me how I know. A couple of the ones I recently got from Wasatch had a different adhesive and it came out pretty nice. Maybe I need to get drums from the place by the airport, and lids from Wasatch :-)

So for me, the rust inhibitor isn't a big issue, but the gasket can be sometimes.

02-21-2010 09:01 AM
afrazier5 Offline

Thanks BigRed - if you ever think about the name of the place up by the airport drop me a line. I think I could talk the wife into letting me build another 1 or 2 of them this year to get me ready for a few smaller comps in 2011. I'm not doing any comps this year due to personal commitments to my family but think I may do 1 or 2 next year. I'd love to get a 'real' smoker like all you big boys have but I simply have too many things I can do with the $1500 for the basic towables.

For now though, I'm going to upgrade my backyard offset I think to this one from Brinkman: http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Grills...ogId=10053 It's not the best but for the money, it will give me 50% more cook space than what I have.

Back Alley BBQ
West Valley Utah
02-21-2010 09:23 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Hey BigRed, How much are the 85 gl. drums at Wasatch?
afrazier..... I have heard from others that those Brinkman offset are not as nice as one thinks (for the money? If more space is what you want, go with the taller drum with 2 or even 3 racks or go to the 22.5" WSM

JMHO
Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
02-21-2010 10:00 AM
afrazier5 Offline

PB - yea I have a smaller offset from HD and while I am not fond of the design of it, it does work ok. I would MUCH prefer a more professional style but just can't justify the $1000+ to pick one up (not to mention the wife). I like the idea of the 85 gallon drum with multiple racks which when combined with my smaller drum would give me the same cook space I think (or close). Any thoughts on about how much it would cost to construct the 85 with multiple racks and the fire basket?

Back Alley BBQ
West Valley Utah
02-21-2010 11:00 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Not knowing the cost of the 85 gl ( wait to hear from BR) But the racks that fit are the weber 22.5" at HomeDepot $18-$20 ea. With (3-4) 1 1/2 x 3/16 bolts nuts &washers.
My thoughts on the racks are that you cant have the bolts that hold the racks to close together otherwise ya cant tip them out, well I guess if ya just have 1/2" to 3/4" of the bolts on the inside you could.

Multiple racks close together would be great for most meats other than Butts ( to tall)
Another little idea, I'm toss'n around. I stopped at a local powder coat business , he said he could sand blast and powder coat my drums for $40.00 ea With 900 deg. material in any color I want. So ya might see a funky looking Green & Gold cooker in 2010 Smile By the way, did I mention I bleed Green &Gold 8)

What are your guys thoughts on that 900 deg. rating?? Under normal cooking temps, say max. 300-350 at the top rack Will it melt???

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
02-21-2010 11:21 AM
BigRed Offline

afrazier5 Wrote:Thanks BigRed - if you ever think about the name of the place up by the airport drop me a line.

Just sent you a PM on this.

02-21-2010 11:30 AM
afrazier5 Offline

LOVE the idea of a powder coated drum! I'm not so sure about the green and gold but maybe they could put a KC arrowhead on it :twisted:

[Image: kansas_city_chiefs_article1.jpg]

I just emailed about a dozen candy companies here in the valley asking about drums so will let y'all know what I hear back. I have access to others but they contained caustic and toxic chems so would not be good to use under any circumstances. Since we have to burn these things out anyway in most cases, as long as they didn't contain toxic stuff most any barrel would work right? If so, can anyone think of other types of manufacturing companies that might use barrels that I can research and email?

Back Alley BBQ
West Valley Utah
02-21-2010 11:35 AM
BigRed Offline

PackerBacker Wrote:Hey BigRed, How much are the 85 gl. drums at Wasatch?

Wasatch sells them for around $115, if I remember right. I'm building one of these 85's right now (when I have time between other UDS orders, so it's taking a while...) and it's going to be pretty nice. Two racks and a 26" diameter make for some serious cooking capacity. You can fit 3 racks if you find a Weber 26" Kettle lid, but I think I'm going to go with the traditional UDS look with a flat lid on this one for my own cooking. Might add that later on down the road.

02-21-2010 11:46 AM
BigRed Offline

Right on! Powder coating is really nice, but I've had a hard time finding someone who can do it with high temp powder material at a reasonable price. They say that 300-400 degrees is the limit of regular powder coat materials, and that the high temp stuff is much more expensive.

I'd love to get the info on the place you're in contact with who can do the high temp stuff for $40. Let us know how it turns out.

Oh, and I have to agree with afrazier5, that Chiefs color scheme would be more along the lines of what I personally would go with. You know RED, white, and black colors would probably turn out better BBQ than green and gold. Just sayin'.

02-21-2010 12:05 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Well I will say, you two are NOT fair weather fans! :wink: I'll let ya know how it turns out on the powder coat.

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
02-21-2010 01:09 PM
Three4Que Offline

I was thinking more along the lines of a logo using blue, red and yellow triangles, sorrounded by a gold circle on a black background, originating in Pittsburg!
I'd be interested in finding out more on the powder coating too.

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
02-23-2010 12:19 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

I dropped off two just this am. And after a 40 min. conversation from everything from how the drums work, to Pitmasters and Myron. Then mentioned a trade out for some or all of the work, I handed him a business card, then found out he lived about 5 miles from where I was born... So I am guess'n I'm in for the "good'ol Boy" deal :wink:

Cant go wrong with a Diehard Packers Fan!
Should have them back in a week , will let ya know
Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
02-23-2010 12:57 PM
afrazier5 Offline

Hey Packer - how'd that powder coating turn out?

Back Alley BBQ
West Valley Utah
03-12-2010 11:42 AM
afrazier5 Offline

And more importantly, bpuska how is the Qing going on your new UDS? (Sorry we kinda hijacked your thread!) :oops:

Back Alley BBQ
West Valley Utah
03-12-2010 11:43 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Couldnt be happier!! They look great. I have cooked on them a couple times since and they clean up better than when they were painted

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
03-12-2010 12:01 PM
afrazier5 Offline

When you have the time - I bet we'd all love to see how they look (even though they are done in that horrid green and gold) Big Grin

Back Alley BBQ
West Valley Utah
03-12-2010 12:26 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

No, I stayed traditional black Big Grin They have a very fine texture to them due to the sandblasting, about the same as 100-150 grit sand paper. But still wipe clean very well with damp cloth. Also have a nice uniform looking coating on them. No more rattle cans for this guy!

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
03-12-2010 12:36 PM
bpuska Offline

no worries on the hijack. Smoking has been good. working on ribs but will do a boston butt this week. Family coming in for the week and will smoke for them. Like Sampson said elsewhere spring honey-do's are keeping me from my smoking. I tried to put my foot down about who's the boss but i was told that I was not allowed to do that.
03-12-2010 02:41 PM