Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where to buy meat
Bam Bam Offline

Where to buy meat
Just wanted to ask all you experts out there where you buy your meat? Im in UT County and am having trouble finding certain cuts of meat. Any Suggestions?
01-21-2010 09:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rwillden Offline

Re: Where to buy meat
I buy all of my Baby Back Ribs, etc from Costco. They have good meat there.
01-21-2010 09:13 PM
bpuska Offline

I bought spare ribs at Costco but when I was back in Texas I used to buy my brisket and pork butt at Sam's Club. I hear some buy meat at Palace Meat in downtown SLC. Looks like they have good prices. You have to order ahead of time and they cut to order. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.palacemeat.com/default.html">http://www.palacemeat.com/default.html</a><!-- m -->. I have bought meat at Snider Brothers but they are in Holliday. Not sure what is in Utah County. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sniderbrosmeats.com/home.asp">http://www.sniderbrosmeats.com/home.asp</a><!-- m -->. My thought if it is for home cooking or practice stick with Costco or Sam's Club.
01-21-2010 09:27 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I'm a Sam's Club user for the most part, and check the supermarket adverts for specials, WalMart for chicken leg quarter 10# bags.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
01-21-2010 09:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BBQMama Offline

I get most of my competition meat from Sunbow Distributing in Lindon. Their prices are comparable to Sams and Costco. Call them ahead of time and tell them what size butts and brisket you're looking for and they'll have it pulled when you get there.

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
01-21-2010 10:46 PM
Bam Bam Offline

Thanks all. Costco has been good for ribs, but no bone in pork butt. Lindon is nice and close. Thanks again bbq mama.
01-21-2010 10:59 PM
Hintzes Hog Offline

If you are in Utah county keep your eyes on reams in Springville, you can talk to Matt Mendonsa in the butcher block there. He has had ribs and bone in butts at some very good prices. They do an early morning sale once in a while and have had bone in butts as low as .79 a Lb. :shock:
01-22-2010 07:16 AM
Unregistered

i get my brisket a majestic meats in SLC. T told me about them and the is a guy named matt that will help you out.

Rstone
01-22-2010 08:05 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I get mine at the Commissary on Camp Foster or Kadena Air Base. Sorry guys, had to toss that in. :roll:

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
01-22-2010 11:36 PM
magnagun Offline

What are you guys looking for when you buy ribs and such? I buy ribs at Smith's in WVC because it is close to my house and they seem to have deals often. Am I missing out by not looking at other meat sources?

Big Al

But Mona Lisa musta had the highway blues
You can tell by the way she smiles. B. Dylan
01-24-2010 01:09 PM
Lil' Art's BBQ Offline

I get all my meat at a place called Don's Meats in Roy, I've always got a good product their good people and what I like about them is that their small & family owned.
01-24-2010 01:33 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

We got a good lesson a couple years ago from Mike Davis at Lotta Bull. Only buy brisket from the left side of the cow since he/she uses their right leg to lay down or stand up. Make sure you ask your butcher if he is selling you right or left brisket.
01-24-2010 03:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bpuska Offline

how can you tell left from right looking yourself at the vacuum package?
01-24-2010 05:06 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

The left or right handed brisket debate is one of several that bring amusement to BBQers suffering from winter cabin fever, there are also the great questions of fat side up or down and to foil or not to foil, or what charcoal is best, pellet poopers = BBQ or not?, these and other esoteric questions start to form some time after the first snow, and some believe that the occasional answer may be found then lost, then found again in the course of a hard long winter.

But when the spring arrives the answers get forgotten by one and all, and then by the end of the next fall / the start of the next winter, those wonderful questions rear themselves out of their graves and caves where they have hidden for six months, and plunge deep into the subconscious minds of those self same BBQers, to be pulled out again in the coldest parts of the year, to be pondered again by the folks that only started smoking in the quiet, (from the cabin fever questions point of view), months of the spring and summer.

Here's a pretty good brisket tutorial <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882">http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=57882</a><!-- m -->

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
01-24-2010 05:54 PM
Flexo Offline

We go to Sunbow distributing in Lindon. We are getting them trained on competition types of meat. They do a good job there. Also Springville meats has some good meat as well.

That sure was good stuff!
Tubby's Smokin' Q

KCBS Certified Judge
01-25-2010 09:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Where to buy meat??? fidel_astorga 11 565 04-25-2014 08:15 AM
Last Post: elkski