Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Needed Wood Saturday!
bpuska Offline

Needed Wood Saturday!
I was in a pinch yesterday needing some wood and preferred apple wood. I drove up to Standard wood about 2:30 pm on Sat. and found them closed. Called their number but the recording did not have their hours listed neither did their website nor a sign on their door. When are they open? Where else could I get wood. I tried a couple of other places and had to settle on mesquite chunks from Wal-Mart. Changed my whole plan!

I am new to Utah so I don't know where and when I can get wood, charcoal, and such.
01-10-2010 09:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grill Sargent Offline

Re: Needed Wood Saturday!
As another immigrant to Utah...I know how it is not knowing your way around....but it will come.....as to Standard Wood.....The last time I called on a Saturday...they said they always tried to be out by noon...durning the summer...not sure about the winter hours on Saturday....and during the week they closed at 5 pm....again...that wasn't winter....but it's a start....call them early enough and you can get some help...but let the phone ring...sometime they are out in the yard and it may take a bit for them to get back...that was my experience with them......and they do give great deals on wood....Oh...if I haven't said it....Welcome to Utah.....and to the group....hope to meet up with you sometime...
01-10-2010 05:20 PM
bpuska Offline

Thanks for the tips. I parked out front of their lot. Looks like they have a good selection and good prices...I will give them a call again soon. Found some mesquite chunks...they worked ok but way to small of scraps....even for my little smoker I used. Had a hard time keepin' the temp up today. Good flavor and the ends were perfect. The middle was just ok. The wife liked them.
01-10-2010 11:28 PM
Grill Sargent Offline

Standard does have a large selection....I drive all the way from Ogden to get it....I try to stock up so I don't have to go too often...but when I do...It's a good excuse to get down to Q4U.....great BBQ....that makes up for the trip....because I hate driving down to salt lake...there are some crazy drivers there.....well.....they'er all over this state...... Tongue ...Well..if the wife enjoyed it.....that's all that counts......
01-10-2010 11:49 PM
rdenn_58 Offline

After I bought my WSM last year, I decided to buy some quality wood from Standard. Even though I live in Pocatello, ID I made the trip down to the "big city" and fortunately Standard was open. I got enough to last me for a while. Much better quality and variety than any place else. And as Grill Sgt said.....makes a good excuse to get some high quality BBQ from Q4U and be able to talk with T and Becci.

Rich
01-11-2010 10:41 AM
Unregistered

I would never say you need an excuse to go to Q4U. Go because want the food and then you have an excuse to get wood!

Try the catfish!
01-11-2010 07:50 PM
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Smoking wood needed LH1440 7 2,764 04-02-2010 05:22 PM
Last Post: PackerBacker