Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Perfect Prime Rib (must read)
Unregistered

Perfect Prime Rib (must read)
Tis prime rib season, so I offer this great article from the good folks over at Serious Eats. The article focuses on oven roasting, but it's eminently applicable to barbecue.

John
12-23-2009 12:25 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Re: Perfect Prime Rib (must read)
Thanks for the info, it will be used at our next family party. Now.... any way you can get my sister in-law not to show up an hour late with the mashed potatoes?
12-23-2009 06:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Yeah. Make them yourself. Big Grin :wink:

John
12-23-2009 07:00 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Thanks John! It was a nice read.... I have difficulty here at family gathering also, trying to keep the father-in-law away from the microwave with a slice of "end cut" :evil: I HAD to COOK him a new york HIS way the other day, I swear he was going to snap a tooth off eating it :roll:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
12-23-2009 07:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Quote my dad: "Brown is cooking, black is done."
12-23-2009 08:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Hey, John...

Just a short note to tell you that the prime rib article/technique you posted was FANTASTIC... And indeed is a "MUST READ"... I have always had that layer/zone that looks brown/"overdone" (as is shown in the article)...

I did one on Christmas day in my smoker... Rubbed and air dried the prime rib in my frig overnight (Christmas Eve)... 6# rib I had bought back before Thanksgiving and had frozen (so yes, I didn't even work with a "picture perfect" rib)... Ran it at 175 for about 4 hours, and internal temp was only up to 105... So increased the temp to 200, and was at 135 internal in another 2 1/2 hours... Rested it for 15- 20 minutes, and transferred the prime rib to an oven at 500... 6 minutes in there and removed... It was divine, and no 1/4 -1/2 " zone of brown/"overcooked" meat as I normally have gotten in the past... Great color/taste/tenderness throughout, with just a very thin dark/crispy outer crust.... I know, I know - no photos and it didn't happen... But you will just have to take my word this time...

Great article... Thanks so much for sharing!! ....
12-26-2009 02:28 PM
Unregistered

I'm glad you found the article informative. Thanks for posting your results. I cooked a turkey yesterday, but I see a new year's eve prime rib in my almost-immediate future. :wink:

John
12-26-2009 07:28 PM
norm Offline

Great article John. This definitely is going to spur some testing on my own. I wonder if you couldn't improve the juiciness by turkey bagging through the initial phase, thus reducing any moisture loss(ala poor man's oven sous vide). Of course you then have the challenge of dessication of the exterior during the rest. Maybe paper towel blot and or hair dryer? In the conventional way of thinking it makes sense to do as Hoochie did and dry the outside prior to cooking as the searing of the outside occurs first. But is it ideal with this method, as the sear happens at the end after the slow cook has somewhat re-moistened the exterior crust layer?

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
12-27-2009 10:27 AM
Unregistered

That turkey idea sounds like it might be worth trying, Norm. Here is a $10 1500-watt turkey dessication tool with a built-in 1100* skin-crisping setting. :shock: :wink:

[Image: 96289.gif]

John
12-27-2009 10:37 AM
norm Offline

I already have one, as well as a immersion circulator and vacuum sealer for sous vide(still saving up for the c-vap oven and anti-griddle), but I was thinking along the lines of the less fortunate. :wink: :shock:

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
12-27-2009 11:07 AM
Unregistered

norm Wrote:In the conventional way of thinking it makes sense to do as Hoochie did and dry the outside prior to cooking as the searing of the outside occurs first. But is it ideal with this method, as the sear happens at the end after the slow cook has somewhat re-moistened the exterior crust layer?

You know, when I removed the prime rib from my smoker, the exterior was pretty dry and really didn't show any signs having re-moistened during the slow cook... And I actually gave some thought to not placing it in the 500 degree oven, as it looked pretty darn nice!!... But that 5-6 min at 500 really gave it that little extra bit of crispness/color that was really nice...And the inside was very moist & juicy (which I wondered about, since I had started with a frozen rib)... I did a "med" doneness at 135 internal temp in the very middle of the rib, as my kids won't do med rare - at least not yet! And am still working on developing their taste for horseradish as well!!

I think the article called for 6-14 min at that temp.. But I found 5-6 min was plenty in my oven (middle rack)... I am certain that the time may vary depending on the actual temp of your oven (a 500 degree setting on a knob will not always be 500 degrees, of course) and the size of the rib... But you will want to watch this - and not walk off...
12-27-2009 12:18 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

We did a big Prime rib last year ala Alton Brown, wrapped in cheese cloth, stuck in the fridge for a day, change cheese cloth 2 days later etc. Air dried for a week. It was fantastic. Smoked it in the Traeger too. Only one thing bad, it was just a bit more than all of us, 10+, could wolf down. Left over p.r. isn't quite the same.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
12-27-2009 08:13 PM
elkski Offline

RE: Perfect Prime Rib (must read)
WARNING!!
Do not look at this article unless your tummy is full..

Team "Smoke-n-mirrors" its all in the beers.
Life is like the smell of smoking pork. stay in the downdraft and follow the sweet smell., enjoy each bite.
KCBS #9231
07-22-2011 09:31 AM
Phred Offline

RE: Perfect Prime Rib (must read)
Do you think this method would also work for other thick cuts, such as a Tri-tip?

Phred
07-24-2011 09:07 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Favorite Prime Rib Recipes/Techniques Pegleg 7 811 12-16-2013 07:44 PM
Last Post: Larry Jacobs
  The Best Prime Rib tipsforBBQ 5 2,808 03-06-2012 12:37 AM
Last Post: tipsforBBQ
  Advice on a Holiday Prime Rib Crazy Cajun 10 3,513 10-22-2007 11:52 AM
Last Post: PackerBacker