Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Utah Contests
Arlie Bragg Offline

Re: Utah Contests
Meeting Friday with another group in the area.

I will keep yuou posted.

Arlie
12-16-2009 07:12 PM
Find all posts by this user
Dutchovendude Offline
Managing Member

Thanks Arlie!

TUMBLEWEED BBQ
KCBS Certified Judge
Utah BBQ Organization Certified Judge
Email me at: mike@utahbbq.org
WWW.Tumbleweed BBQ.com
12-16-2009 07:35 PM
Desert Magnolia Offline

Have we thought of attaching it to something like the Days of 47 or the bluegrass festival In Ogden. There seam to be a lot of events around here in the summer that might be happy to have something like this as a side event. There is a cround there already so it brings a lot of extra attention to the association.

BDS 1 BDS 2
Rub Q Long Time BBQ Team
KCBS member
12-17-2009 09:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Snaggle Offline

How much $$ would a sponsor have to come up with to fund a competition?

I know very little about the circumstances or problems surrounding the Gallivan center but I am sure we can come up with another location. My first thoughts were for the tailgate lot for the U of U games. On the corner of 4th South and Center Campus Drive next to the Aquatic Center. Thoughts?
12-17-2009 11:59 PM
duners88 Offline

Has anyone talked to the LHM (Larry H. Miller) group about setting up an event associated with a race. I know its not one of the big 3 series, but those NASCAR guys have lots of sponsors that might kick in some $ for the added exposure.

MMP http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/rel...-schedule/ just announced their schedule.
NASCAR Camping World Series, over the weekend of September 11-12

There is lots of black top and I'm sure their vending efforts would only benefit from the smell of BBQ on Saturday.
12-18-2009 05:39 PM
Unregistered

Maybe this is just me... But it sure seems like we have an abundance of scenic outdoor beauty out here in Utah... Trying to find a location and/or a time of year that can blend a little scenery along with some pleasant temps sure would be nice/fun...

Just my thoughts...

Hoochie
12-18-2009 05:53 PM
Jaybird Offline

Now you're talkin'!! That's good to hear!

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
12-18-2009 07:26 PM
Unregistered

I agree that Utah and Idaho have great scenery and that is certainly a draw, and Snowbird was definitely a great example of that. However, it seems to me that merging a great setting with great cash is the problem. I would certainly like to see a nice big comp in Utah, but it seems that the economics are not in play.

John
12-18-2009 11:10 PM
Nayehiya Offline

Echo, Utah has my vote. John
12-19-2009 01:43 AM
Arlie Bragg Offline

It is the sponsorship that is hurting the Utah events. Some of your members have sent me people to speak with about events there and most tell me they dont have the space,want me to get the sponsors or are very interested but not willing to go after the sponsorship. I still have one last hope and we are playing phone tag but I think they are interested and may have some money. As far as Snowbird goes Pat at Pats BBQ worked really hard to help keep this event, working with a few sponsors, getting bands that were willing to play for free or a reduced fee and was willing to put up some money his self. He did explain that he wanted this to be to help the Utah BBQ Assiciation and not about him a or his restrurant.

My guess now it is going to take all the members to really pull your resources together and get them to your organizer of choice or event planners to make a bbq contest happen there in 2010. I will try hard to see that happens and keep you posted.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Arlie
12-19-2009 07:30 AM
Snaggle Offline

How much money is required to pull an event off?
12-19-2009 11:51 AM
Arlie Bragg Offline

For a 10K payout you will need at least that much more but 15K would be better to have a nice event!
12-19-2009 04:00 PM
Three4Que Offline

One contest to put on you calender if you haven't already is Rio Rancho. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rioranchonm.org/index.aspx?nid=142">http://www.rioranchonm.org/index.aspx?nid=142</a><!-- m -->

The Seventh Annual Pork & Brew
Rio Rancho’s Seventh Annual Pork & Brew BBQ State Championship complete with continuous live entertainment, fun jumps, pig races, and of course, food galore - is set for March 26-27, 2010, at the Santa Ana Star Center in the new Rio Rancho City Center.

2010 Pork & Brew times are:

Friday, March 26, 12:00 noon - 9:00 pm
Saturday, March 27,10:00 am - 6:00 pm

Just a thought. Other than that, I'd judge any contest we have here in the state, being a CBJ, however, I'd rather be cooking at them. My prayers are with Arlie, the Board and any others trying to put together contests for this year.

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
12-19-2009 11:05 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Good point Doug,
Although the weather can be a bit frightfull in R.R. in late March it was a fun one to judge.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
12-20-2009 01:57 AM
Unregistered

I am working with someone to host a contest in SLC on August 13th. I am wondering if this date would conflict with anything in the pipeline? Please let me know so I can continue further with this person. If anyone would like to send me some information on what is in the pipeline or talk more about this please send me a PM.

Thanks
12-21-2009 10:59 PM
BBQMama Offline

I believe that is the same weekend as Fire, Water & Ice.

Carla
Smokin' Hot Sistahs Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Certified Judge
***Life's too short to eat bad BBQ***
12-22-2009 08:24 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I called the center today about FWI but the person I need to speak to wasn't there today, I will post the reply I get when one. :wink:

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
12-23-2009 12:24 AM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo, the organizers and the contact people of Fire Water and Ice have been very busy with other events. I spoke with my contact today and the tentative date is the 7th of August. It still has to be approved by the council. They are shooting for this date because any later date means that the majority of the life guards will be heading off to college. Please be patient and let the association handle this matter. They are providing the facility for us and nothing more. We, the association, are working on sponsorship to make it happen, and those of you that have ever been involved in raising funds for a competition, know where I'm coming from, it ain't easy? No need to have different people calling to find out, I promise that I will let you know as always as soon as I here something, and even then there is no guarantee of a contest. Thanks

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
12-23-2009 01:06 PM
Unregistered

Good news T. It would be great to have on two or three contest next year here if possible. How does it work as far as when the deadline to say there is a contest or not for a specific event?

I'm sure a lot of members don't know how it works, me included.

Thanks for the work you guys do!!!

RStone
12-23-2009 04:07 PM
gene01 Offline

Hello everyone!!!

Just an FYI

There will be a contest close by in Craig Colorado the weekend after Worland Wyoming.....

if nothing local comes up for you, this might be the next best thing....
12-24-2009 07:53 PM
ThomEmery Offline

A part of seeing growth is developing teams
Small contests can do this and are a great deal of fun
I have done contests as small as 6 teams

One correction IBCA winners go to the Royal and Jack every year

Good Luck........ see you in Mesquite
12-26-2009 07:52 AM
Three4Que Offline

gene01 Wrote:Hello everyone!!!

Just an FYI

There will be a contest close by in Craig Colorado the weekend after Worland Wyoming.....

if nothing local comes up for you, this might be the next best thing....

Gene, I haven't been to Craig in years. But that might just be a good spot to compete. I'll have to keep that one and Worland in mind!

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
01-01-2010 06:59 PM
Cyclops Offline

Thom and Arlie can wade in on this, but if you have a $10,000.00 payout, it needs to have at LEAST an $18,000.00 sponsor commitment. There are a lot of expenditures that maybe some of the members may not be aware. Sanctioning fees, Rep pay and travel costs, Insurance, venue rental, sanitary inspections, porta-potties, garbage removal, signage, advertising, etc., etc. These are "hard costs" and in kind donations are not to be considered when budgeting. Jay is right on in that a total effort on one contest would be more attractive to a title sponsor. The first question a potential sponsor will ask is "what's in it for me?" There better be a darn good answer to that question! How is he going to see an increase in his business, either monetary or charitable recognition? We can all sit here and espouse the "BBQ Pitmaster" series and sing it's praises, yet we need to remember this is a show that we are already involved in, in some manner. In and of itself, competitive BBQ is akin to watching grass grow. If a contest does not offer BBQ to the public and some sort of "tips from the masters" the general public probably won't support it. If the public support is questionable, sponsor dollars will evaporate quickly. The most importanat thing I have found in organizing an event is that cooks should never do it! There is not a chance in hell of a cook taking a "walk" and organizing. There is no concentration or focus because they are constantly being bombarded by questions that require attention. Don't believe me, ask Packer Backer or Hoss about it. The opportunity to "coat-tail" an existing event will defer some of the hard costs, but don't assume that existing events will invite a competition just because "they are a bunch of great guys and girls!" They will ask the same questions as a sponsor. "What's in it for us? Will it grow our event? Will we attract more of the public? Will it make us some money?"
Don't get me wrong. All of these obstacles can be overcome, but never fall into the trap of thinking it is easy. Just my two cents worth.

Life Is A Team Sport
01-01-2010 10:52 PM
Unregistered

Jim - That's why we have you. :wink:

In all seriousness, you've done a great service in spelling out what is all too often overlooked. You've also reinforced why I don't want to be an event organizer. Big Grin We cooks need to always be mindful of the economics and hard behind-the-scenes work that goes into these competitions. I am as guilty as the next guy of tending to take it for granted.

Thanks to all you organizers and reps out there!

John
01-02-2010 01:02 AM
ThomEmery Offline

A very general rule of thumb is Double the prize money is what it really costs to do a event
Doing a few smaller payout, support a good cause cook offs in Utah should not be impossible
01-02-2010 10:55 AM
Thread Closed