Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Utah Contests
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Re: Utah Contests
I know that it takes a lot of money to put on a quality event but if this helps, I will supply free of charge a sound system to any BBQ event in Utah this year. No matter how big or small I have just the right system for the crowd size. This should help keep at least some of the money where it belongs rather than the production end.
01-02-2010 11:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Three4Que Offline

Not only that, but then Larry won't have to get blasted away by being next to the Empire State Building sized speakers! Like at Grill on the Hill. Smile :wink:

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
01-02-2010 12:11 PM
Find all posts by this user
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

Man, that was bad for everyone. For those that weren't there, they had a great stage set up but the area for the crowd was a 50 by 30 area with about 20 folding chairs. Who ever supplied the sound brought in a 4000 watt system with speakers big enough for the U stadium. They ran them wide open, it was painful.painful.
01-02-2010 04:19 PM
tsawyer148 Offline

I know I am the new guy here, and if a reply such as this has been brought up before, please forgive me.

Has anyone looked at doing any sort of event in Southern Utah? How about the Summer Games? I live in Cedar and you can't drive through here without seeing the hundreds of signs announcing that we are the "Festival City". I am not sure what kind of sponsors you could get down here, but they have a few events that bring in some good sponsorship and seem to do quite well. What about Brian Head? Over 10,000 ft. and lots of good places to set something like this up right in the middle town, (they have a fireworks display on the 4th of July that is set off in the middle of everything, would think it would be plenty of room for something like this). The tourism bureau here does alot to try and bring new things into both places, may be worth looking into.

Just a thought...

B.

DUDE!! Was that you???

KCBS CBJ# 59086
01-02-2010 09:39 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

Thanks for the thought! :wink:

The more information we have the more we can try for.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
01-02-2010 11:02 PM
Swine Steward Offline

Larry Jacobs Wrote:Man, that was bad for everyone. For those that weren't there, they had a great stage set up but the area for the crowd was a 50 by 30 area with about 20 folding chairs. Who ever supplied the sound brought in a 4000 watt system with speakers big enough for the U stadium. They ran them wide open, it was painful.painful.

Didn't I hear that some rather chewy ribs were put in front of those speakers to "tenderize" them a bit before they went to the judges tent? Big Grin
01-03-2010 06:04 PM
Unregistered

Collen sent me a n E mail and said the date is July 16 and 17. It was a great place for a contest. They were great to the teams, great at providing water and electic, good price on the ice. We plan on making this one if all works out. Bring the whole family. the river is right there. All of the sites have nice grass area.

Roger
Rstone
R and R BBQ Team
01-12-2010 11:55 PM
bud-wie-ser Offline

Another possible location that has good facilities and plenty of room is the Utah County fairgrounds in Spanish Fork.

Bud
Sugaz and Spice BBQ
----------------------------------------------
Custom Drum Smoker
UDS
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
01-19-2010 10:41 PM
Steve in Denver Offline

I revisited the # of Comps that were in Colorado or Rocky Mountain Cup events since 2001.
This is what I found. There were some events in Denver in 01,02 and 03, but I don't know if they were sanctioned or how many there were. They were not included in the following events. These are all sanctioned by KCBS. The Rocky Mountain BBQ Association was formed in November of 2004. The Rocky Mountain Cup Challenge began in 2005. We also started presenting Competition 101 cooking classes in the spring of 2005. In 2008 we started "The Organizers Roundtable" which allowed all the organizers across the state to get together for a meeting of the minds to discuss various aspects of organizing a competition. They have been very beneficial, especially to the newer events.
01-3
02-2
03-3
04-5
05-7
06-8
07-9
08-11
09-14
10-17
These numbers also include Rio Rancho, Worland, Laramie, North Platte and Garden City which are "Cup" event.
01-28-2010 09:01 PM
hankf19 Offline

Hey guys, I am organizing my 1st event here in California - April 17th -- The Ultimate BBQ Showdown East Vs West in Wildomar Ca.. off the I-15. I am giving away $13,000 in prize money and trophies and is going to cost (The Rotary Club of Wildomar) around $30,000 to put this event on. We are not paying anything for the live music and/or the site, but have a more complexed "fair" type of atmosphere with Wine and Beer Garden, kids carnival area, and 150 Vendors (other than BBQ Teams).. I am learning as I go here, but am enjoying this so much, I have retired from my job and will be organizing BBQ events full time for the next few years.. God willing I will be able to do a 2nd event in Rosarito, Mexico in August 20-21-22 2010.. My Goal is to do a tour of say 4 events - Wildomar, Rosarito, Vegas and AZ or maybe even 5 and include Utah.. covering 4-5 states a year and having an overall Champion at the end of the Circuit-- this should promote teams to travel and visit each others states making it fun. I would go IBCA (because it's cheaper to put on- only 1 head judge to accomodate and pay for vs KCBS must accomodate all judges -1 per team ) at 1st and if the circuit grows then maybe go KCBS.

My suggestion for all of you would be to travel a bit - go to the Havasu event in Arizona, maybe come down to mine here in Southern California, etc. etc. get to meet some of the promoters, some of the other teams out here (California, Colorado, Pacific Northwest, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas) and build your Team base in Utah, by promoting your website, showing off pictures of the different events, bringing home some Trophies and exciting your members to participate.. I would love to put on an event in St George -for example, can anyone put me in contact with the Mayor there? Does anyone have some business connections or is able to arrange a park, or a large ranch for usage for an event, free of charge? or maybe work on a % basis of what the event nets? etc. etc.. I would not mind setting an October, November event for this year in Utah, if I had some help, leads and or sponsors from some of you.. In the meantime travel a little and get to know your other states teams, etc.. Hopefully a few of you can come on down the I-15 in April and get to see, and/or participate in a fun BBQ Cook off.

For more info on Wildomar-- 2010 go to www.wildomarrotaryclub.org or www.theultimatebbqshowdowneastvswest.org... Here is to meeting some of you and helping Utah BBQ, get a few more events a year.

Henry Silvestre
02-03-2010 01:04 AM
Unregistered

Hank,

I'll just come right out and say that I simply can't justify traveling 900 miles to SoCal for a $10K purse. I'd love to be able to, but it just isn't financially feasible or timely with kids in school. Perhaps others can, but not me.

Just being honest,
John
02-03-2010 01:24 AM
hankf19 Offline

PatioDaddio Wrote:Hank,

I'll just come right out and say that I simply can't justify traveling 900 miles to SoCal for a $10K purse. I'd love to be able to, but it just isn't financially feasible or timely with kids in school. Perhaps others can, but not me.

Just being honest,
John

I am not saying everyone should, and I am not saying you should come out to my event per say, go to the closest event/s to your State, east-west-north or south, just get to know some of the other state teams out there.. Since your state doesn't have a BBQ contest, or has too few of them, there isn't much option (in the present), hopefully we can change that a bit in the future.
02-03-2010 01:43 AM
Unregistered

hankf19 Wrote:I am not saying everyone should, and I am not saying you should come out to my event per say, go to the closest event/s to your State, east-west-north or south, just get to know some of the other state teams out there.. Since your state doesn't have a BBQ contest, or has too few of them, there isn't much option (in the present), hopefully we can change that a bit in the future.
Oh, Idaho has several contests in addition to those in Utah. I'm willing to travel if the economics/distance ratio makes sense. That was my main point.

John
02-03-2010 01:52 AM
Jaybird Offline

I would go IBCA (because it's cheaper to put on- only 1 head judge to accomodate and pay for vs KCBS must accomodate all judges -1 per team )

Henry, just to correct you on the judges for KCBS. You do not provide any accomodations or paying of judges in KCBS contests (as you stated 'one per team'). You do for the KCBS reps, which is usually two for the whole contest, but not the judges. So please don't think that you have to 'pay' for 32 judges if you have 32 teams.

KCBS really isn't that much more expensive than IBCA to put on and the judging is 10 times better. The feedback that the teams get on their turnins from KCBS is invaluable vs. IBCA...which is none.

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
02-03-2010 08:33 AM
Unregistered

Are we getting any closer to having a contest in Utah?
02-03-2010 07:24 PM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

It is only February :roll: Time is on our side :wink: I'm sure those that are working hard to put together events for us, are just as ready for the season to begin as we are. I'm sure they are not holding back any confirmed info that they may have.

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
02-03-2010 08:15 PM
Frankenswine Offline
Managing Member

Stoneman Wrote:Are we getting any closer to having a contest in Utah?

Here was a post from a while back answering the same question by your brother...

rstone wrote:
Has that been confirmed yet (fire and Ice)? If it was I missed it, sorry. Can some one confirm it? That will be geat, I can go home and I sleep while Rod keeps the fire going, Ha, Ha.

Rstone

Carla posted the dates to be Aug 6,7. Other details to be given as they are finalized

Dave
02-03-2010 08:58 PM
hankf19 Offline

Jaybird Wrote:I would go IBCA (because it's cheaper to put on- only 1 head judge to accomodate and pay for vs KCBS must accomodate all judges -1 per team )

Henry, just to correct you on the judges for KCBS. You do not provide any accomodations or paying of judges in KCBS contests (as you stated 'one per team'). You do for the KCBS reps, which is usually two for the whole contest, but not the judges. So please don't think that you have to 'pay' for 32 judges if you have 32 teams.

KCBS really isn't that much more expensive than IBCA to put on and the judging is 10 times better. The feedback that the teams get on their turnins from KCBS is invaluable vs. IBCA...which is none.

Great to learn, I was under the wrong impression here... See I am a rookie (1st event) and learning by the day... Anyway I received your entry, into our event and look foward to meeting you in Havasu and Wildomar... I know with Kelly McIntosh as the head judge, the event in Wildomar IBCA or not, will be well judge. He is a great guy.
02-03-2010 09:05 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo, been kickin it with the Cabella's folks for some time now, and finally got some kind of feed back. I guess they tried some comps a few years ago in the Mid West, and they at this point in time might be ready to go fourth with a small backyard event after they see in they can get some sponsorship from Treager. The association will be offered to supply the judges if we want to? Please don't anyone call out there, and ask about it because it's a maybe at this time. I will keep you informed. Gotta start some where, maybe next year a biggy huh? Trust me guys, the managing members have been busting our butts behind the scenes to get comps happening in Utah, and we will. Don't forget Declo, Idaho Village of the Tree on July 16 and 17. Again we would like to see all of the Utah and IDAHO teams support this event. Last year we all had a great time at a great relaxing venue run by some supper people. Thanks for your support, and keep spreading the good smoke!

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
02-03-2010 11:44 PM
Unregistered

Thanks for the up date. I thought it was annouced but could not find it. I heard alot of guys really like that venue. I'll be able to see the smoke from my house.

Rstone
02-03-2010 11:53 PM
hankf19 Offline

T Wrote:Yo, been kickin it with the Cabella's folks for some time now, and finally got some kind of feed back. I guess they tried some comps a few years ago in the Mid West, and they at this point in time might be ready to go fourth with a small backyard event after they see in they can get some sponsorship from Treager. The association will be offered to supply the judges if we want to? Please don't anyone call out there, and ask about it because it's a maybe at this time. I will keep you informed. Gotta start some where, maybe next year a biggy huh? Trust me guys, the managing members have been busting our butts behind the scenes to get comps happening in Utah, and we will. Don't forget Declo, Idaho Village of the Tree on July 16 and 17. Again we would like to see all of the Utah and IDAHO teams support this event. Last year we all had a great time at a great relaxing venue run by some supper people. Thanks for your support, and keep spreading the good smoke!

Is Utah as a State "Dry" meaning Beer and Wine Sponsors are dead? or can you have beer and Wine at some events? Also is Park City, Utah different in it's approach to alcohol? Don't know, just heard different things. Please inform, thanks.
02-04-2010 01:41 AM
Unregistered

You can have beer sponsors I believe you just can't give drinks away.

For the new guys if you can get down to the Havasu contest this month you can go and get certified to be a judge. This contest now has over 80 teams from all over the country. This would be a good chance to see what happens at a contest and to see and taste bbq with different flavor profiles.

Traveling for contest is just the way it is going to be at least this year. On the upside you will meet some great teams and people. From competing in Mesquite this year, Roger/Rstone and I are friends with some of the top smokers in the nation. They have given us tips and suggestion that I hope will help us the year. Last year in Grand Junction a team called Sweet Peppers spent hours talking to us about preparing for a contest and suggestion about coming to a contest more prepared in advance.

Sure there are some great teams here that really helped us have a very successful first year. With that said traveling to other places is just another spice of life!

Any new teams that want help let us know. We appreciate the help from local and distant teams and would be happy reciprocate to the new boys in Utah here.
02-04-2010 08:37 PM
Bam Bam Offline

I just became a member of the KCBS!! Im signing up for the cbj class in Havasu and heading down there to check it out! Im so stoked!! Are you competing ?
02-04-2010 11:07 PM
Unregistered

Yes I am competing! I thought it was going to be a little contest with 35 or so teams. Now it has over 80 teams in it! Now that is a contest.

I am leaving Thursday morning to go there so we should see you there for the judging class. Please look me up on the grass spots.

Rod
02-04-2010 11:50 PM
hankf19 Offline

I was going to take the judges class also-- unfortunately on the 26th I am being presented a community award here in Wildomar and won't be able to get to Havasu until Saturday morning. Anyway I'll look you guys up.

Henry
02-14-2010 12:10 AM
Thread Closed