Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pit Master of BBQ
Unregistered

Re: Pit Master of BBQ
Wagyu isn't that expensive. You can get one from Boise's own Snake River Farms (via Sysco) for like $60. Paradise Meats in MO sells Kobe for $3.95/lb.

John
12-04-2009 05:25 PM
Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Well it is, if someone wants to pay it, and that was "American Wagyu" not from Japan (Kobe) But I understand what your saying John, and I do not believe Myron would be using the real Japanese Waygu, well then again, he did use lighter fluid :lol:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
12-04-2009 05:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
norm Offline

I think he uses <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.struberanch.com/">http://www.struberanch.com/</a><!-- m -->. They're one of Mike Davis' sponsors.

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
12-04-2009 07:46 PM
Unregistered

Patio Daddyo you don't have tell everyone everything! Maybe Myron was just trying to point people in the wrong direction? Maybe it was apple juice in the lighter fluid cans. maybe the cup cake pan was a trick?

Don't believe all that you see on TV. These guys are't given away million dollar secretes for free.
12-04-2009 10:02 PM
Unregistered

Stoneman Wrote:Patio Daddyo you don't have tell everyone everything! Maybe Myron was just trying to point people in the wrong direction? Maybe it was apple juice in the lighter fluid cans. maybe the cup cake pan was a trick? Don't believe all that you see on TV. These guys are't given away million dollar secretes for free.
Sorry! Big Grin I was just trying to take away a little of the "I can't believe Myron pays $250 for a brisket!" mystique. I cook plain ol' select (or even that high-dollar choice, if I can find them :? ), so I am WAY out of that league.

John
12-04-2009 11:08 PM
Unregistered

Got home last night from a dental meeting I had been at this week, and finally watched the show before I went to sleep (had Tivo'd it...) It was "okay"... A "C" in my book (I found myself tempted at times to switch back over to an old "CSI" rerun)... Could have done without a lot of Myron's "bleeps"... But hey, this isn't meant to be "educational" as much as it is supposed to be "entertaining" and/or to increase public interest (I guess)... Looks like Myron will be "cast" as the equivalent of a Gordon Ramsay (Hell's Kitchen) type of character, so that will certainly keep folks interested (at least for a while)... Every good "drama" has someone we all like to "hiss" at from time to time... I kinda liked the poor steak fellow from Texas... I think most of us could relate to our own first comp when we thought surely there can't be that much to comp BBQ... Would kinda be fun to watch him compete - and hopefully "grow"/improve - in future segments... Johnny Trigg was pretty much himself and I enjoyed his "character"... Other than a little "trash talk" regarding "Darth Mixon", Lee Ann didn't bring a lot to the show other than her looks... Which I am not complaining about, mind you... Wheel of Fortune surely didn't hurt over the years with Vanna's presence... Tuffy/"Cool Smoke" is a great guy and a great cook.... Met him at the Jack.... But IMHO, he was way too "vanilla" for an "entertainment" type of show like this... They need to "spice" him up a lot... And Harry Soo? ("Slap Your Daddy BBQ") Well, I thought he was "just right"...

I think the series has a lot of potential both for the public as well as for the comp BBQ cook...And any/all the exposure we can get for comp BBQ is a real good thing IMHO... But I don't think they (the producers) have quite found the "right" formula for the "secret sauce" just yet... I just hope they will have the "pockets" ($$$) and the support of TLC to keep after this until they do find it...

Hoochie
12-05-2009 12:49 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

:shock: Say it ain't so. Sometimes what's shown on the tele isn't all true? :? R U Sure?
Does that include WWF wresting too. Sad :wink:
Kobe beef is available here all over the place. Never looked for a brisket though.
Sometime we may go to Naha and check out the larger meat markets. Last week Brenda & my dispatcher went to Koksai street, a mile long shopping district in Naha, with shops on both sides of the road jambed together, looking for material or whatever it is 2 women look for when they "go shopping". There was a seafood market with frozen whole Hokaido salmon with a sticker tag of about $150.00 US. That had better be some tasty salmon at that price. She didn't get one, good thing too. There is a store close to us that has frozen 1/2 salmon for 598 Y, about $7.00. The ad said salted, so i'm rinsing it b/4 I smoke it. We'll have to wait and see what it tastes like. Crossing the fingers, but not expecting high end quality.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
12-05-2009 03:19 PM
Swine Steward Offline

I DVRed it and just watched it.

Negative: I didn't see any of the generoristy of spririt we've had in the Idaho and Utah comps. Are we just lucky that way in Utah and Idaho? :o

Positive: Attitude won't get you anything except last place. You have to prepare and have a plan before you pull in. Except for Peterson, all of the spotlights teams were well prepared. Slap Your Daddy brought a backup computer for their temp control system. Now that's being prepared!

Looking forward to the next episode.
12-08-2009 02:27 AM
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Swine Steward Wrote:I DVRed it and just watched it.

Negative: I didn't see any of the generoristy of spririt we've had in the Idaho and Utah comps. Are we just lucky that way in Utah and Idaho? :o

Positive: Attitude won't get you anything except last place. You have to prepare and have a plan before you pull in. Except for Peterson, all of the spotlights teams were well prepared. Slap Your Daddy brought a backup computer for their temp control system. Now that's being prepared!

Looking forward to the next episode.

Tru dat! That's why I Always bring 2 wsm's and 2 drums Tongue Just in case, one doesn't work Tongue Yea right! :roll:
Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
12-08-2009 09:53 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Really? :shock: :lol:

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
12-08-2009 02:14 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

So....... is this still on? I saw 2 programs and a rerun the 3rd week and nary a word about it since.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
01-06-2010 11:22 AM
Unregistered

Yep. A new episode (The Royal invitational) airs tomorrow. Next week is the open.

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/se...93.38850.x

John
01-06-2010 11:31 AM
Jaybird Offline

I also heard that there has been almost 1 million viewers per episode. That's cool!!!

Otis and the Bird BBQ Team
01-06-2010 05:52 PM
Unregistered

How come it does not show the 5 miles of foil and the big mess i have at the end of the day when I'm in a contest? These guys come prepared ready for battle, with a game plan and execute!

R stone
01-06-2010 11:34 PM
Unregistered

According to the TLC PR folks, here's what is in store for us in tonight's episode:

"Stakes are high when the best cook teams in the country are invited to the American Royal Invitational in Kansas City, Missouri. Myron faces his biggest rival on the circuit, restaurateur Chris Lilly. When Rookie Paul begs for help from pro Johnny Trigg."

John
01-07-2010 12:42 PM
Frankenswine Offline
Managing Member

PatioDaddio Wrote:According to the TLC PR folks, here's what is in store for us in tonight's episode:

"Stakes are high when the best cook teams in the country are invited to the American Royal Invitational in Kansas City, Missouri. Myron faces his biggest rival on the circuit, restaurateur Chris Lilly. When Rookie Paul begs for help from pro Johnny Trigg."

John

I just want to know how Paul is cooking if this is the invintational with the way he did during the season. Or is he just getting ready for the open.

Doug
01-07-2010 02:08 PM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

When do they start voting people off the island?
01-07-2010 06:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bpuska Offline

Just watched Pitmasters tonight. I saw a few guys jaw drop when they didn't get a call. Goes to show that the kings don't always take home the trophy!
01-07-2010 11:16 PM
Unregistered

Saw a lot of good tips there tonight. Not real surprising that Johnny Trigger helped Paul since he's from TX also and Trigg is a nice guy. anyone who met him at Snowbird can verify that. Tuff did pull it off getting 3rd over all, wonder if he will keep it light on the sauce from now on.

What happened to Slapp yo Daddy, Wood chicks and Jamie Geir? I think SYD did not fair to well in all of the shows. butthey were one of or the only team to get 4 1st place ever in a KCBS contest.

good night

Rstone
01-08-2010 12:42 AM
Pugwhan Offline

I've been watching since the first episode. It's nice to see what happens in the judging tent. I just wonder how true the personalities actually are. I have never seen anything like that at the comps I've been (although that is limited to Eagle and Kuna).

Half of Team Swine Steward
01-08-2010 09:27 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

I just watched the show off Tivo. What the heck??? Either the teams called down from the bletchers were watched over by the food angels or it was the CBJs were wacked out. I know the judges have to pay money to judge. Maybe they should take that money and pay for an intense coarse on judging and then use just those judges only. How else can you explain this?
01-08-2010 11:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Any team can win on any given day, Well that's what most of us mediocre cooks hope for anyway. :wink:

Dave

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
01-08-2010 11:46 AM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

Dave, mediocre? Hardly. We just haven't had the stars and planets lined up in our favor.
I caught it last night, Friday here, and was rooting for JR (Myron) not to get a call. My wish came true. Can he really be that big of an ***?
Some turn ins looked good. To spend all that $$ on his fancy beef and not get a call, ouch. Like Dave said on any given day.
Oh, for you Boise residents, great show on the Bowl game. What a team!!
TCU looked tough all season.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
01-08-2010 12:06 PM
Unregistered

I know from talking to a guys that know them that were at the contest they were filming. They push these guys to throw jabs at each other. They want JOS to come on they way he does. In Mesquite he was a very nice guy and was more than happy to take a few minutes to answer Rod and Mine stupid questions that we had about Brisket and pulled pork.
Wish they would show Jamie Gier and the other guys to see how the came out. wonder how the "Kid' will do next week with that one on one class?

I think what they need is two old twins, bald and that fight the whole contest with each other?

Gene, I ate at Holey Smoke today! What a nice guy Jeff is. Good Ribs abd Pulled Pork. Nice glaze on them. Sauces were good too. Had a nice crowd in there. Thanks for suggesting (I think it was you).

Rstone
01-08-2010 10:27 PM
Grill Sargent Offline

I watched this show as I have watched and recorded all to go back and look and show the wife some of the attitudes that the show has build as love to hate....but anyway....the teams that did win...we never saw anything about them..nor did they show their turn ins....but its seems like Dave said..."on any given day".....Seems tlc have just focused on that group...but forgot that there are others out there with the same goal.....But this still makes good for BBQ....I hope Utah is watching.
01-09-2010 04:21 PM