Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
BBQ help
PackerBacker Offline
Posting Freak

Re: BBQ help
Larry Jacobs;p="19715 Wrote:I'm outta here.

Your welcome Larry Tongue

PACKERBACKER BBQ TEAM
KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE
"Wait until Next Year"
And yes... I hate Brett Favre
11-17-2009 12:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grill Sargent Offline

Hoochie....you mentioned some of the commerical rubs....I just wanted to know if you or any of you have heard of "Smoking-Meat.com"...on his web site he has a recipe for his rub and sauce...called "Jeffs Naked Rib Rub and Sauce"....I know everyone has there thing for their own and I for one took your advice long before I saw it here about KISS.....still do the basics......I do like to experiment....but one or two new spices at a time....times are hard for everyone....and spices can get rather costly....I just saw white pepper almost $7.00 a jar at Harmons....taint nothing to sneeze at...... Big Grin
11-17-2009 01:54 PM
LT72884 Offline

DUDE, grill sargent. Long time no see. Last time i saw you was at T's place in the summer with you and the wife. Im going to check out that site and see what rub your are talking about. I just bought a commercial rub today and it has a bunch of stuff in it. It doesnt seem like the KISS commercial rub.. if you mean what i know. haha

thanx

I am skilled at the art of love. I just wish i had a bigger paint brush

My websites: http://GrillofMyDreams.blogspot.com
http://TheBreadJournal.blogspot.com
11-17-2009 03:19 PM
Unregistered

Hey, Sarge...

How are you and your lovely wife?

No, I have not heard of nor tried "Jeff's Naked" stuff... Nor do I think I want to drop nearly$20 to get his "secret recipe", either... Might be good, might not... I guess I myself have been duped just one too many times by those kind of "offers"... I am probably the "King of Dupe"... :wink:

And you are right... Spices are getting up there these days... It isn't very "cheap" to experiment...

Here - let's quit dancing around the fire... Here are a few good commercial BBQ rubs that anyone might want to look at:

Head Country
Lotta Bull
Dizzy Pig
The Slabs
Smokin Guns
Obie Que

I am certain there are many other good ones out there... In fact, that is sometimes the problem - there are a WHOLE lot of them out there... But I know of some pretty good cooks who use some of these products...

It is a pretty good place to begin IMHO...

Anyone else have a favorite commercial rub or two they might throw out to these folks?

Hoochie
11-17-2009 06:45 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

I have had Head Country recommened by some top dogs and the BBQ trail too.
11-17-2009 07:42 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

I've had Cookshack rubs that I won at a BBQ event, they were pretty tasty, I bought some of Larry Wolfes that I liked a whole lot, but the more commercial rubs I bought, the more I wanted to make my own!

Then I started a little at a time, learning some of the bits and bobs about spices and herbs, what works for my tastebuds and the families too, and I built up a set of rubs that we like.

I'm still learning and still practicing, and they are getting better all the time... IMO!

So buy all the ones you want, but what ever you do the secret to all good BBQ is....

Practice, practice, practice!

There now I'll go wash my mouth out with soap!

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
11-17-2009 07:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bbqguy123 Offline

Correct me if I am wrong here, but most, if not all commercial rubs are mixed by Co-Packers and the teams that market the rubs do not use the same rubs they use in competition. In other words they leave some ingredients out. They also claim to use fresh ingredients, however you have no way of know how long the bottle sat in the warehouse or sellers shelf. I also believe, and again correct me if I am wrong, the winning teams that sell rubs do not disclose to the uniformed buyer that the rub is not the same rub they use to win in competitions.

I mix most of my own rubs and about six months ago I decided to see how the rub would turn out if I ordered spices from an online fresh spice house. Man I could not believe the difference. From now on if I am going to spend a premium on spices it is going to be from these online spices sources and not commercial rubs. Besides you can’t believe the feeling of satisfaction I get knowing that my rub taste better then Lotta Bull or Dizzy Pig’s rub.

On the other hand I will use T’s steak and chop seasoning because I know T mixes and bottles it at Q4U using fresh ingredients from his spice source. Now T what spices did you say you buy to mix the chop seasoning?
11-17-2009 08:48 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

bbqguy123;p="19727 Wrote:On the other hand I will use T’s steak and chop seasoning because I know T mixes and bottles it at Q4U using fresh ingredients from his spice source. Now T what spices did you say you buy to mix the chop seasoning?

Come on T, inquiring minds want to know!

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
11-17-2009 09:15 PM
Unregistered

Again, please understand I am not saying a "custom" rub is not as good as commercial rubs - or that a "custom" rub is not worth developing... When you know what you are doing, they can indeed be superior - no question about it...

What I am saying is that a "newbie" needs a point of reference to get going from... And I think some (not all) of the commercial rubs give a better point of reference than many of the "foo-foo" recipes I have found in most BBQ books... Just my opinion... There is not a single rub I listed earlier that I don't find something "wrong" with personally... But they are still good enough to get someone "on the road" towards their own "secret" rub/sauce... That was what I was trying to convey... I certainly wasn't trying to bash those of you who have worked hard to develop your own rubs/sauces.... :wink:

And Chris is right... A "rub" is only a small part of good Que... Unless that rub has lots of celery salt.... Huh, Dave? :lol:

Hoochie
11-17-2009 09:42 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo, here is your early Xmas, get your pens ready. This will work on your ribs? Take some Organic Apple Cinnamon O's and grind them fine with a coffee grinder, combine these crunchy whole oat O's with some salt pepper, garlic powder to taste with some luck LOL! Practice, practice,practice.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

Sponsored by Pit Stop BBQ
Sponsored by Camp Chef & Majestic Meats
Sponsored by Cross Canyon Arms
[Image: utahsmoke.jpg]

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
11-17-2009 09:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LT72884 Offline

T;p="19732 Wrote:Yo, here is your early Xmas, get your pens ready. This will work on your ribs? Take some Organic Apple Cinnamon O's and grind them fine with a coffee grinder, combine these crunchy whole oat O's with some salt pepper, garlic powder to taste with some luck LOL! Practice, practice,practice.

Thanx T. I have come up to Q 4 U a couple of times to get some good eats BUT neither you or Becci were there. So i just sat and chatted with a few others while i ate my food. I HIGHLY appreciate all the help from you and all the others. Oh Thirdeye Says hi!!

Matt

11-17-2009 10:14 PM
Grill Sargent Offline

Darn!!!!!......my pencil point broke and I don't have a sharpener......T....talk slower..... :lol: :lol: :lol: .......WAZZUP Matt........Get a few beers in ya....and your taste buds will be back to normal.......LOL......Hope you had a great summer......

Hoochie....and there's Stubbs....and Famous Daves....and if you believe in the three day cook....(yeah....right)....Texas Roadhouse........Oops.....you are from Texas.....But I did smile when I said that...... Tongue
11-18-2009 01:10 AM
LT72884 Offline

Mmm texas road house has some good food. like there roadkill is good. And the sweet tatos are good.

11-18-2009 10:08 AM
Larry Jacobs Offline
Life Member

I'l just use me Lucky Charms.
11-18-2009 02:23 PM
LT72884 Offline

found some bone suckin sauce rib rub. Any one use it

11-18-2009 09:40 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I had some of their sauce, not very good imo. Never tried the rub tho.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
11-18-2009 11:39 PM
LT72884 Offline

Gene Wrote:I had some of their sauce, not very good imo. Never tried the rub tho.
How bout that famous daves rib rub? lol.

Now i hope i have the info i need to make some good pulled pork and ribs. I am the most picky eater. I dont like onions but i love onion rings. Dont like lettuce, tomato or onion on my sandwhichs or burgers BUT love salads. I hardly eat burgers though. maybe twice a year. I dont like beef to well. But i like beef stew and soups with beef in it.

see im way picky

11-19-2009 01:21 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo, first of all, one must realize, when matching the strength of the rub or paste with the typs of meats being cooked. .Here is is an exam;le, earthiier spices are better with meat, lighter spices and herbs with fish and chicken. Also keep in mind that spices like cumin and parika are good "bulk" spices, while aromatic spices like cinnamon and cloves should be used lightly, get my drift? Sometimes when you have alot of these rub recipes with this and than and you try to use what ever, a little from this one, and a little from that one, you ruin the flow.

By this I mean none of you ingredients marry well together and they fight. The end result being tossed in the trash along with discouragement, not to mention the expense. I would suggest, if you are trying to develope your own, think of the direction your going in which meats that you are going to use the rub on, wood typs, injection if you do, baste and sauces. These factors are all important towards the finish product, the flow! Below is a rub- put together to further try to let you understand where I''m coming from,

A simple BBQ rub about 1 cup
1/2 cup sweet paprika
2 tbl ground cumin
2 tbl mild chil powder
2 tbl ground blk pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground cloves
mix all in a small bowl. The hint of ground cloves this rub interesting If you want more heat more cayenne

This one is we use often for Beef of Lamb, flank steak ,shoulder steak, lamb shoulder chops, and even on a butterflied leg of lamb.

makes 1/4 cup
1 tbl black peppercorns
1 tb white peppercorns
1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp hot red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon [it flows]

Toast the peppercorns, coriiander, and cumin in a small skillet over a medium heat, shaking the pan occasionally to prevent burning. The first wisp of smoke will appear, in about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool to room temperture, then mix with pepper flakes and cinnamon.. If you have a coffee mill or spice grinder, mix to powder. Some might think that this is too much work, but mixtures such as are really satisfying to ones own creativity.

There are some good commercial rubs out the and the advise on the forum by other has been of help as well. Some have the concept of why try to reinvent the wheel and some are attracted by the art form of making their own, I for one. You may ask "what''s with the toasting deal, I''ll go buy them already ground" however, when you want a particular fragrant or aromatic rub, I have found over the years that toasting whole stpices produces better results. This is my opinion. I have spoken to Cris, Brian, Doug, Sampson, Sheldon, Gary and others about spices giving up a little info and tips as we go. When whole spices are toasted, heat releases oils and chemicals in the spice that break down and reform into new taste and aromas. You want ti heat the spices long enough to release as much flavor as possible. I was taught at a young age the science of seasoning by a Cuban named Alberto, and I am grateful for his teachings. I went forth with this understanding of the Science, and guys it''s truly a Science, as good BBQ is! I hope this info helps jump start some of you, as you go forward with your Q''ing. "God bless you Alberto"

keep it low-n-slow " T "

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
11-19-2009 06:24 PM
Grill Sargent Offline

T.....that was vey helpful for me........The roasting part makes a lot of sense.....One question.....when making this rub....how long can it keep in an air tight container.....? And BTW..... HAVE A HAPPY TURKEY DAY ALL!!!
11-19-2009 07:25 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo Bill, as long as it's kept in an air tight container, it will keep for several weeks. Vacuum seal it and keep it in the freezer if it's going to be for awhile. Helps keep it fresh.

keep it low-n-slow " T "

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
11-19-2009 08:12 PM
LT72884 Offline

T. Thank you so much for the help and kindness to share your wealth and knowledge. As you can tell by my posts i am struggling with the basics. Im focusing my rubs on basically Baby backs, Spares, pulled pork, chicken and chuck roasts. Thats a bunch of types of meat, each with there own science of cooking. But im guessing that a rub for baby backs should work on spares and pulled pork since they are the same animal.

My good buddy and next door neighbor frank santarosa says hi. He is still drag racing and doing very well. Thirdeye says hi as well.

Once again i thank you for your time and patience with me.

11-19-2009 08:46 PM
T Offline
Posting Freak

Yo Matt, hang in their my friend and don't make things difficult for yourself. Tell Frank that I said hi. I sure like that cat and his name comes up often. Thirdeye, what can ya say, a huge plus to BBQ out side of being a real cat. His contribution to BBQ has benefited young and old. I really enjoyed spending hours in Worland, Wyoming with him. The man can cook. Good Q on ya Matt!

keep it low-n-slow " T "

KCBS Certified Judge

www.Q4UBBQTruck.com
11-19-2009 09:16 PM
LT72884 Offline

[quote1b0ab921d1="T";p="19763"]
Yo Matt, hang in their my friend and don't make things difficult for yourself. Tell Frank that I said hi. I sure like that cat and his name comes up often. Thirdeye, what can ya say, a huge plus to BBQ out side of being a real cat. His contribution to BBQ has benefited young and old. I really enjoyed spending hours in Worland, Wyoming with him. The man can cook. Good Q on ya Matt!
[/quote1b0ab921d1]

I tell em both hi for ya. I talk to frank everyday about cars and random things. He is a pretty chill guy.

Thanx for all the help dude..

Matt

11-19-2009 11:42 PM