Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Utah BBQ Team of the year, who is it?
Unregistered

Utah BBQ Team of the year, who is it?
Who is the team of the year and how are they chosen?
11-11-2009 10:45 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Re: Utah BBQ Team of the year, who is it?
I think it's y'all. If not, it should be.

John
11-11-2009 11:52 PM
Unregistered

Thanks, but we did not do good in Rock in ribs. that really hurt us.

But we sure had a lot of fun this year and can't wait for next year!!!!
11-12-2009 08:35 AM
Unregistered

I think T has that again but what about Roockie Team of the Year?

I would go for that. It was a fun year and I think we learned a lot and will do better next year.
11-12-2009 11:12 PM
Unregistered

Stoneman & rstone –

I don’t know that Lyle & the BOD ever got around to “defining” the criteria for a TOY for 2009… At least, they never made it known here on the UBBQA forum… In 2008, they defined which comps in UT & ID would “count” towards the TOY, and awarded points for how the various teams that year finished at the comps that counted towards the TOY award… In 2008, if I remember correctly, I think the comps that “counted” were Hyrum/Logan, Snowbird, the 4th of July event in Provo, Fire/Water/Ice, Rock N Ribs, and Eagle (ID)… I also think 3 points was given for a 1st place in any meat category, 2 points for 2nd place, and 1 point for 3rd place (or something like that)… They may have also given points as well for GC and RGC at those comps, but I can’t remember now for certain… T, of course, won in 2008… It never really was made clear who came in 2nd, 3rd, etc – but I think John / PatioDaddio came in 2nd in 2008…

Since we were never officially presented with anything, let’s have a little “Hoochie Foolishness” here… Let’s look at the UT and ID teams and comps only (yes, yes... I know... Some of you cook in comps in other states – but in staying with the protocol of 2008, we will only look at the UT & ID comps here)… And let’s give 3 points for a 1st place in any meat, 2 points for 2nd place, 1 point for 3rd place, and then 3 more points if the team took GC, and 2 more points if the team took RGC… Not the best way I know (the best would be the total points accumulated from any/all comps competed in this year based on the KCBS scores) - but I don’t have that kind of info here at my fingertips!! Anyway, this is just my “foolishness”… :wink:

As for 2009, there were several UT / ID comps… The first was the “Frostbite Challenge” back in March… It really wasn’t a “traditional” BBQ comp – pheasant and flat iron steaks were the meats that were cooked… Nonetheless, it was a comp that had the “blessing” of the UBBQA – so for “foolish” reasons, we are going to include it…

In flat iron steaks, the “Kings of Cooking" took 1st place, followed by Norm & Linda with “M.O.A.B”, and “Tumbleweed BBQ” took 3rd… In the pheasant, Tubby’s BBQ took 1st place, followed by M.O.A.B again, and Dragon Smoke took 3rd… M.O.A.B. took GC, and Tubby’s took RGC…

M.O.A.B. – 7 points
Tubby’s BBQ – 5 points
Kings of Cooking – 3 points
Tumbleweed BBQ – 1 point
Dragon Smoke – 1 point

In April, there was the “Big Chill” in Kuna, ID, which I think was a KCBS qualifier… Here is how that wrapped up (listed in order, 1st, 2nd, 3rd):

Chicken – 1st place - Big Hole BBQ
3rd place – PackerBacker

Ribs – Spuds BBQ
Pitmaster BBQ
Packerbacker

Pork - 2nd place - Spuds BBQ
3rd place - Big Hole

Brisket – Spuds BBQ
Big Hole
PackerBacker

GC – Spuds BBQ
RGC – Big Hole BBQ

Spuds – 11 points
Big Hole - 8 points
PackerBacker – 3 points
Pitmaster – 2 points

There were no UT or ID comps in May…

In June, there were 2 comps – Wild West BBQ Showdown & Snowbird… Here’s how the UT & ID teams fared:

Wild West (KCBS qualifier)
Chicken - Frankenswine & Ezzygore
Hi-I-Que
Hoochie-Que

Ribs – Utah Smoke
Smokin Hot Sistahs
Hoochie-Que

Pork - Hoochie-Que
Big Pig Parade
Dragon Smoke

Brisket – Hoochie-Que
Dragon Smoke
Hi-I-Que

GC – Hoochie-Que
RGC – Dragon Smoke

Hoochie-Que – 11 points
Dragon Smoke – 5 points
Utah Smoke – 3 points
Frankenswine & Ezzygore – 3 points
Hi-I-Que – 3 points
Smokin Hot Sistahs – 2 points
Big Pig Parade – 2 points

Snowbird (KCBS qualifier)

Chicken – 1st – Barbecue Heaven
3rd - Big Hole BBQ

Ribs – 3rd – M.O.A.B.

Pork – 3rd – Hoochie-Que

Brisket - 1st - Barbecue Heaven
3rd – R & R BBQ

RGC – Barbecue Heaven

Barbecue Heaven – 8 points
Big Hole – 1 point
M.O.A.B. – 1 point
Hoochie-Que – 1 point
R&R BBQ – 1 point

At the end of July, there was the “Village of the Trees” event, a 1st year event in Burley, ID:

Chicken - R&R BBQ
Utah Smoke
HQO

Ribs – PackerBacker
HQO
Utah Smoke

Pork – PackerBacker
Crazy Cajun
Utah Smoke

Brisket - R&R BBQ
Skinny Boys
Lone Star BBQ

GC – Utah Smoke
RGC – R&R BBQ

Utah Smoke – 7 points (2 points for 2nd place, 2 points for two 3rd places, 3 points for GC)
R&R BBQ – 8 points (6 points for two 1st places, 2 points for RGC)
PackerBacker – 6 points
HQO – 3 points
Crazy Cajun – 2 points
Skinny Boys – 2 points
Lone Star BBQ – 1 point

In late August, we had Rock N Ribs in SLC (not a KCBS qualifier this year)… Here are the UT & ID teams results:

Chicken – 3rd place - Hintze’s Hog

Ribs – 1st place – Utah Smoke

Pork – 2nd place - Barbecue Heaven

Brisket – 2nd place – Hintze’s Hog
3rd place – M.O.A.B.

Utah Smoke – 3 points
Hintze’s Hog – 3 points
Barbecue Heaven – 2 points
M.O.A.B. – 1 point

Finally, in September, there was the Eagle BBQ Cookoff & Spudfest (KCBS qualifier)… I don’t recognize all the teams ID teams that may have participated, so please excuse me if I missed some of them and/or I have them listed and they are an out of state team)

Chicken - 3rd place – EL-B-BBQ (ID team ???)

Ribs – 1st place – PackerBacker
2nd place – EL-B-BBQ (???)
3rd Place – Bubba Q (????)

Pork – 1st place – Big Hole BBQ
3rd place – Patio Daddio BBQ

Brisket – 2nd place – PackerBacker
3rd place – Big Hole BBQ

RGC – Patio Daddio

PackerBacker – 5 points
Big Hole – 4 points
Patio Daddio – 4 points (one 3rd place plus RGC)
EL-B-BBQ – 3 points
Bubba Q – 1 point

Okay…. If we add up point totals based on my “foolishness”, here is how the UT & ID teams fared at the UT & ID comps in 2009:

PackerBacker – 14 points
Big Hole BBQ – 13 points
Utah Smoke – 13 points
Hoochie-Que – 12 points
Spuds BBQ – 11 points
BBQ Heaven – 10 points
R&R BBQ – 9 points
M.O.A.B. – 9 points
Dragon Smoke – 6 points
Tubby’s BBQ – 5 points
Patio Daddio – 4 points
Kings of Cooking – 3 points
Frankenswine & Ezzygore – 3 points
Hi-I-Que – 3 points
HQO – 3 points
Hintze’s Hogs – 3 points
EL-B-BBQ – 3 points (??)
Pitmaster BBQ – 2 points
Smokin’ Hot Sistahs – 2 points
Big Pig Parade – 2 points
Crazy Cajun – 2 points
Skinny Boys BBQ – 2 points
Tumbleweed BBQ – 1 point
Lone Star BBQ – 1 point
Bubba Q – 1 point (??)

Using this “foolishness”, PackerBacker may have actually ended up on top in 2009, chased closely by Big Hole BBQ & Utah Smoke… As to “Newcomer of the Year”, both “Barbecue Heaven” and “R&R” are right up there…

Regardless of how anyone decides to slice it or dice it, it was a fun year… And a big “Congratulations” to ALL the teams that came out to compete in 2009!!!!

(Please excuse this lengthy post!!!) :oops:
11-13-2009 08:49 PM
Unregistered

Wow, Mike, that was a great effort/post! Thanks for working that up. I completely agree with your criteria, with one possible caveat. I personally feel that a qualifier should weigh more than a non-qualifier, point-wise. So, under my scheme there would be a "qualifier bonus point" added to the total points for each competitor for each qualifying contest. This helps to reward the folks that cook at larger comps where the competition is presumably tougher.

I love the simplicity of your system.

John
11-13-2009 09:05 PM
Unregistered

I would agree... And/or at least something that would give a little more "weight" to a comp that has a lot of teams (25, 35, 50, etc) versus a comp that is smaller (10, 15, etc)...
11-13-2009 09:09 PM
Unregistered

How about this?

"One point will be added to each competitor's total point total for every 25 competitors at that contest."

This provides an incremental reward for cooking larger comps.

John
11-13-2009 09:21 PM
Unregistered

I bet that took a while Mike. I think next year the critera needs to be spelled out for the toy award.

Also for going to contest in other surounding states, NV and Co The mesquite and the Grand Juntion are two contest that had top teams in the nations. May be include contest in all surounding states?

We do how ever need to consintrate on growing the number of teams here in Utah.

Any way, I had the time of my life going and meeting a lot of great people who love to cook BBQ and having a great time.

R stone
Roger
11-13-2009 10:21 PM
Unregistered

I guess if the train has already left the station what good does it do. There should have been some criteria in the beginning of the year so we all know what contest to be in.

Or do it like KCBS does and score all contest and credit towards how many in the contest and such.

I really don't think the Pheasant and flat steak should be a consideration in the points. It didn't have the usual categories as a KCBS sanctioned contest and not all participated for that reason.

Any how sounds like something to work on for next before the train leaves the station?

It was a fun first a year and watch out next year, R&R is coming out swing.....
11-13-2009 10:29 PM