Pat Barber of Pat's BBQ

15 essential Wasatch Front restaurants
SL Tribune-15 essential Wasatch Front restaurants

Dr. Mike Knight AKA "Hoochie Que"
Park City BBQ Team to the "Jack"
10-12-2009 12:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Wow! look at the company he's in. I bet you don't use paper towels at the other places!

Good Job Pat and Leslie

Roger
R and R BBq Team
10-12-2009 02:40 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Re: Congrats to 2 great local BBQ Cooks!!
Hey, Mike...

Thanks for catching this... I don't think any of this puts me in the "great" category... Not by a long shot... But thanks for the "head's up" on the article... Was completely unaware... Will do my best to represent UT well...

Congrats to Pat and his restaurant, also...

Hoochie
10-12-2009 05:14 PM
Unregistered

Hoochie - Congrats, bro. I seriously feel some hardware coming home. :wink:

Are y'all the first ever Utah-based team to go to the Jack? If not, who has gone before you?

John
10-12-2009 08:14 PM
Unregistered

Good job Pat and Hoochie-Que! Both have been a tremendous help to us.

Thanks
10-13-2009 09:32 AM
bbqguy123 Offline

15 essential Wasatch Front restaurants???

I'm sure they are all nice restaurants however; they are not essential to my dinning experience. I make it a point not to drop over $100 on a meal out for my wife and I.

Now I am not saying I don't like to Hob-Nob with the high society folks, but the last time I when to one of these restaurants (my wife's work paid), the portions were small, the plate looked like one of those collector food painting plates you hang on the wall, and the food was unidentifiable. The food also tasted like an oil painting of food you would hang on the wall.

I am puzzled how Pat's BBQ made the list. Did he raise his prices, cut the portions, and take a course in food design?
10-13-2009 09:24 PM
sampson Offline
Posting Freak

Nice job Hoochie! And Pat too, though I don't think he reads this...

Rockin' on two 22.5 WSM's, a GOSM gasser and missing them old drums...
KCBS Member and CBJ
Biggest (pound for pound) BBQ Fan in Utah
Two Time!! Grand Champion @ My Backyard Picnic Annual Cookoff
10-13-2009 09:59 PM
Gene Offline
Posting Freak

I took my kids to Pats last spring. The kids thought it was terrible, as did the Mrs. and I. We were pressed for time, had a wedding reception at the U and Q4U was just out of reach time wise.
Sorry T. Next time we'll know better.

KCBS Certified Judge
Traeger Lil' Tex 070
Traeger Texas 075
10-14-2009 04:43 AM
Unregistered

Here we go again!
10-14-2009 07:23 AM
Unregistered

I've never been to Pat's but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. :shock: Big Grin

John
10-14-2009 09:34 AM
LH1440 Offline

Sorry, to put a damper on the Pat's BBQ parade. But Pat's BBQ is not very good. I have been there 3 times, and each time the BBQ was very poor. The brisket had no smoke flavor what so ever which is why I guess I(lol) could not find a smoke ring. Sorry, but I am from Kansas City and to hear the newpaper state that there is no nead to go Kansas City or Texas for BBQ and that Pat's is just fine for the Beehive state. I guess that person does not get out to much for BBQ. I guess I was just at Pats when he was not there and the fill in Pitmaster was just not feeling for the love of BBQ those days. Other then Q4U, I have not been impressed with any BBQ joints around here . I was at the Fish/BBQ place up near Harrisville off of Wall st. and everything was baked in an oven, not a smoker in sight. The brisket looked like an over done dry roast. The ribbs were smothered with BBQ sauce, I guess that was a good thing sence they were so over done. When I asked the server what kind of rub they used, she just looked at me with a blank look for a few seconds and then just said we dont rub them we just pat them before the go in the oven(thank goodness that the Halibut was good). At Gates and Sons BBQ in Kansas City they have their own BBQ college, and all Pitmasters have to go through years of training before there allowed to cook for the public. This process hopefully weeds out the non-BBQ lovers and only leaves the Pitmasters that have a love for BBQ. Now I am not saying only Kansas City can make BBQ, because I have been all over the USA and have had some VERY VERY good BBQ and would gladly give them reccomendations to anyone. Can we give the BBQ places around here a ranking or score(not as detailed as the KCBS). But just something to help people around here help in finding a true BBQ joint(Pats does have a great BBQ joint atmosphere). And can we teach Utah what Burnt Ends really are. Evan at Q4U I asked for burnt ends and the guy tried telling me they were the same as Ribb tips.... To me burnt ends are a gift from the gods...Wink. Please let me know where other good BBQ places are in Utah. This is the boring part of the BBQ year and so I need good BBQ to help me through the long winter of BBQ. Sorry if this came out as bashing, but I just dont see what all the hype is about Pats.

When Pigs Fly BBQ Team
Kise SmokerSmile
And on the 8th day the Lord created BBQ!and he called it the BEST!
10-30-2009 09:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Arlie Bragg Offline

LH1440 how about tell us who you really are, I dont think I know you by that handle.

Arlie
10-31-2009 08:13 AM
Frankenswine Offline
Managing Member

Hey LH1440,

I am not sure of who you are either, but it is obviouse that you didn't speak to T at Q4U. There is no way that he would of told you the rib tips are the same thing as burnt ends.

Doug
10-31-2009 11:05 AM
norm Offline

The Utah BBQ Association is an education and leisure group dedicated to promoting, teaching, preserving, enjoying and celebrating barbecue as a culinary technique, sport, recreational activity and art form. What is so confusing about this?
As they say- "Walk a mile in another man's shoes before insulting his barbeque. That way you'll be a mile away, and you'll have his shoes." :twisted: Smile
But, more seriously LH, how about something a little more in line with the show me state before stirring up the beehive.
Norm

M.O.A.B. -the Mother Of All Barbeque
KCBS certified judges
10-31-2009 11:15 AM
Arlie Bragg Offline

Just what I thought, feathers on his butt!
10-31-2009 08:19 PM
Cyclops Offline

:twisted: LH, just so you know, Pat is a very good cook with an excellent track record. "T" has been in a pit since he was 5 and he is a true master. I am sorry their food doesn't appeal to you. (And that's OK) But please don't start slamming them because I know good Q as well as many people on this forum. You are blowing smoke (and it ain't the good kind) :twisted:

Life Is A Team Sport
10-31-2009 09:54 PM
LH1440 Offline

I never said i talked to T at Q4U when I asked about Burnt ends. I just spoke to the man at the counter, dont know his name but it was not T. I happen to love his Ribs!

Lets just set the record straight about this Pats BBQ thing. I am allowed to speak my opinion. I have been eating BBQ fro 43 years, and competing for 25 years. I have won 5 state championships in Missouri, Kansas and Arkansas. Have competed at the American Royal and Judged there, I have catered dozens of events. So in my Professional opinion with what I was served I would have given him a very low score. So stop the crap about me walking in his shoes, I have been there. I was only wanting to get a list of good BBQ places around here. I have had several people send me emails about there same opinion about Pats. There are more places around here then just Pats. Lets get the word out about those places in Beehive state. Sorry if you all cant handle a few constructive comments; I think Pats could benefit from these comments. I would want to know if I were in his shoes, he might not know what goes on in his place when he is not there and that his BBQ is below his high standards in his absence. I heard good things about his place and thats why I tried it 3 times, but for whatever reason his BBQ was not up to par those visits.

When Pigs Fly BBQ Team
Kise SmokerSmile
10-31-2009 10:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LH1440 Offline

Ok people, I never slammed Q4U. I like T's place. I only said that the guy serving me had no Idea what Burn Ends were. Learn to read!

When Pigs Fly BBQ Team
Kise SmokerSmile
10-31-2009 10:56 PM
Three4Que Offline

Well, never having been to Pat's I can't say anything good or bad about it. I've been to T's once and enjoyed the catfish very much. Plus I have eaten his pork loin at Q4U right off the drum, his ribs, brisket, and pork at various competitions this year, so I know his Que is good!!

Other than that, I've eaten at Famous Dave's and Holy Smoke in Layton, several times. They're close to my home, what can I say. I haven't tried the BBQ place in Ogden yet, but will once I move in a couple of weeks.

I've had burnt ends at a joint in Chandler Ariz. when I worked wit Airborne Express in 2001 that were great.

Growing up in Kansas and Iowa from 1967-1977 you would think we'd have eaten BBQ, but my dad wasn't to big on it then, so I missed out on the Kansas style.

My brother, from Mesa Ariz., introduced me to smoking and BBQ while I lived down there from 1986-2001. But we did that just for fun and only occasionally.

Luckily I moved up here to get married, and met some great guys on this site. Talked to several, cooked with a few, and made friends with many as well. Heck, my team mate is Sampson, and I'm enjoying that.

I've judged some as a CBJ so I know peoples taste a different, they judge subjectively. I've even competed in Chili cookoffs, but learning how to make chili from Arizona and cook it for a Utah competition expecting a win but coming in 3rd to last taught me a few things. Things taste different by regions as well. That's why Kansas City BBQ is different from, Memphis, or North Carolina, or Georgia, heck it's even different than Sante Fe or even Texas.

Some may be used to KC BBQ and think the BBQ in other places ought to taste the same or near to it. Naw, I don't think so, It would be too boring then. I like variety, maybe that's why I like judging and competing. The joy in tasting something new and sometimes ones that are like old friends is great.

Just ask Hoochie, he'll tell you about the difference in Texas BBQ joints across the state and even in the same town.

As an ending to my post, don't slam other's Que.

KCBS Certified Judge Smoking on UDS, WSM and Kingsford Grill
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
10-31-2009 11:38 PM
LH1440 Offline

Its a sad day in america when you cant express one's opinion. basically I said I didnt care for Pats BBQ. If a food judge at a event didnt like your food and gave you a bad score, what would you do? You would learn from that and maybe make a few changes to improve. Not everybody is going to like your food, if you think they will your in for a shock folks. If a food critic for a local newspaper gave you a bad review, would you close up? Of course not. In all the places that I have worked, most of them dont care about the good comments, they care about the bad comments. They want to improve on there products or services. When I left Pats they asked me what I thought and I told them and they thanked me and said they would work on those issues sence they were valid. They took it better then some of you.

Now can we go on with life.

I will have to try Holy Smoke. Thanks for the referal.

When Pigs Fly BBQ Team
Kise SmokerSmile
11-01-2009 12:14 AM
Arlie Bragg Offline

Fair enough BUT:

I you are man enough to judge a mans place then be man enough to post under your real name. Unless that is your just hear causeing trouble.

Arlie
11-01-2009 09:26 AM
Unregistered

good luck!
11-01-2009 03:01 PM
elkski Offline

hey folks take it easy on LH.
earn to read. the only thing he said about Q4U was that some guy didn't know the burnt end lingo. As far as pats goes I am more a fan of his music acts than the BBQ. Only thing is it might be ok to sit on a picnic table for a meal but to sit sideways on a board to watch a concert is just crazy.
LH, I hope you are still posting here as you sound like you have alot of advice to offer.
12-21-2009 07:26 PM
elkski Offline

ps this is a website, I am a member of about 60 websites and have only used my real name once.
12-21-2009 07:27 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Local charity doing BBQ, come out and support them if you can! SoEzzy 0 178 04-16-2014 06:45 PM
Last Post: SoEzzy
  Great Visit today with great people T 7 971 03-05-2010 01:46 AM
Last Post: nub2bbq