Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Roastng vs Smoke
Grill Sargent Offline

Roastng vs Smoke
This is open to all opinions......For the past 5 years I have started brinng my bird for 7 days in a buttermilk and other essential additives....and then after rinsing and adding top and cavitiy seasonings into the oven it goes.....and it comes out sooooo juicy......Now......I have been asked to smoke the turkey for Thanksgiving......My question is......would my brining period have any negative effect on the smoking........and if so.....what changes should I do?

Grill Sargent......aka......Bill
10-06-2009 03:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

Re: Roastng vs Smoke
IMHO, once you smoke a bird, most likely you will never go back to roasting another turkey for the holidays... For the past couple of years, I have been doing a "Hurricane Turkey", which has been a BIG hit with my family & friends... The recipe can be found in here somewhere amidst all the posts, and/or IM me and I will send it to you... It can also be found over at The Smoke Ring, as a fellow from Roswell, NM ("Alien" / Mike) is supposedly it's creator... There have been several others around here that have also posted smoked turkey brines/techniques that I understand have been quite good...

I vote "Smoke It!"....

Hoochie
10-06-2009 09:00 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Phred Offline

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1701&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=turkey">http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewt ... ght=turkey</a><!-- m -->

Here's the link Hoochie was referring too Bill.
10-07-2009 09:02 AM
Grill Sargent Offline

Thanks Hoochie.......Me and the Mrs are looking this over and doing some comparisons......and will decide....it really looks good.....BTW...How's your son doing??????....I do know that feeling.....try coaching your kid....and then he goes down....time does seem to stand still....But by the Grace of God....they do pull through......We put your family in our prayers....You take care....

And Phred....thanks for saving me the hunt....you must have these things cataloged.... Smile
10-07-2009 11:43 PM
Unregistered

No problem, Bill... The Hurricane Turkey is a little "labor intensive" for certain... And you might not think that orange marmalade and cinnamon would work with a turkey... But IMHO - and in the opinions of those I have cooked this for - the combination of ingredients simply "explodes" into a surprising culinary delight...

I am pretty certain Lyle ("Pegleg") and I think John (Patio Daddio) and T may have posted some turkey recipes on here as well... Which I am certain would be quite good, too, knowing how well they cook...

My son is doing well... Thanks for asking...

Take care...

Hoochie
10-09-2009 07:32 AM
Unregistered

Here is my Simple Barbecued Turkey recipe. It uses a simpler brine than my standard holiday bird. My Thanksgiving brine recipe can be had here on the forum.

[Image: SmokedTurkey_1_1.jpg]

John
10-09-2009 09:35 AM
mjerdmann Offline

SNAP! Iam soooo hungry!! I love Thanskgiving more tham ANY other holiday.....

P.S. How can i search this site for brine and smoke reci's? Thanks!

Bubba'S BBQ

"Its Hawg Gone Good"
10-12-2009 04:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

mjerdmann;p="19225 Wrote:How can i search this site for brine and smoke reci's? Thanks!
Um... Click the "Search Forums" link over there on the left. :shock: :wink:

John
10-12-2009 04:56 PM
SoEzzy Offline
Administrator

PatioDaddio;p="19226 Wrote:
mjerdmann;p="19225 Wrote:How can i search this site for brine and smoke reci's? Thanks!
Um... Click the "Search Forums" link over there on the left. :shock: :wink:

John

Then in the search field put "brine and turkey" without the quotes. You'll get 18 or 19 results.

Respice, adspice, prospice. Latin proverb.
Respice = you didn't use enough spice the first time! adspice = you ought to add spice, you know? prospice = you should be an advocate for spice!
[Image: 142.jpg]
KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge.
UBBQO Certified Barbecue Judge.
10-23-2009 01:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply